• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Ed Vaughan

Reaction score

Check out this vintage KAYS catalogue. To me, these are very nice Mod suits, could easily be skin, matched with the right shirt/shoes, obviously!
I absolutley love 'Last-tye's old skin suit with the longer jacket. But don't get me wrong, these 'off the peg' catalogue suits look ok to me :)

Check out the gentleman on the far right smoking! filthy bleeder.

EDIT - They are all smoking, filth!
Your 'library' is certainly extensive and all-encompassing... agree with you on smoking, too. :nodding:

Re; catalogues: up here, we were home to Great Universal Stores (GUS), and all of it's (tacky) offshoots; while the best, IIRC, was the London-based 'Freeman's', better quality, bigger brand names... damn you, Southerners!!! (And you tend to get better weather, too - there is no justice!) :)

Last edited:

circustavern777

Reaction score
message to sound pressure were can i get an old catalog like what you posted i would love to show my grandson the old sixtys toys i was showing him some on the net. them suits were ok , there all having a snout what a classic

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know anywhere I can get a monkey jacket without piping on the collar/cuffs?

circustavern777

Reaction score
Does anyone know anywhere I can get a monkey jacket without piping on the collar/cuffs?
check out badger clothings, site there got some bits like that from time to time may b atom retro, im trying to find a nice retro raincoat i wanted a barracutta alf ramsey 1966 mac but every where is out of stock

soundsnpressure

Reaction score
message to sound pressure were can i get an old catalog like what you posted i would love to show my grandson the old sixtys toys i was showing him some on the net. them suits were ok , there all having a snout what a classic
Not sure mate. That photo is just something I stumbled upon.

It's possible to see old ARGOS catalogues on-line. But none earlier than 1976, there are some quality kids toys in them tho.

circustavern777

Reaction score
Not sure mate. That photo is just something I stumbled upon.

It's possible to see old ARGOS catalogues on-line. But none earlier than 1976, there are some quality kids toys in them tho.
thanks mate i always remember my mum having the grattans cat and great universial, kays i can remember the tally man and the provident in 1976 i got married 20 years old , corner units had just come out i think it was mfi £199 the unit i got the provy check to pay, for it who had a bull worker they were always advertised in the news of the world ect, you could pay monthly i think in 1970 they may have been a tenner a fortune but i loved mine ,

bunty

Reaction score
Re-music tastes

I've spoken to some originals who were into Reggae and Soul music (to dance to because it's what was played in nightclubs) but for live entertainment they would go and see 'heavy' groups like King Crimson and Hawkwind, now I don't know how common this sort of thing was but I get the impression that there were very diverse tastes in what Skinheads would listen to? I always thought it was strictly Soul/Reggae but I've been assured it wasn't as clear cut as that? I also wonder what sort of reception they got attending those gigs...

Around here it was, from the early 60s the Mod route of Soul, R and B, Ska, Rocksteady, Funk, Reggae (with Ska revived again in the late 60s) most of the lads stayed with Soul (Zero 6 Southend) Philly/Funk right up until the (proper) Disco stuff unfortunately their wardrobes didn't stay cool and those photos have been conveniently 'lost' .

bunty

Reaction score
Found out that this photo I posted last year was taken in the Post Office Tower (March '69) in the revolving restaurant that was owned/run by good old Butlin's! ...anyone remember it?

bunty

Reaction score
Thanks Ed, bloody hell, no wonder they just had a drink :D

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was working in Charlotte Place WC1 early 70s, Over the weekend the Top of the Tower was blown up by the Angry Brigade, It has never reopened, I saw a program that said as the Resturant revolved they had a couple of blokes that had to relocate the electric supply half way round, as the cables could not revolve the whole way round. bit of useless information their,:D

Ed Vaughan

Reaction score

I was working in Charlotte Place WC1 early 70s, Over the weekend the Top of the Tower was blown up by the Angry Brigade, It has never reopened, I saw a program that said as the Resturant revolved they had a couple of blokes that had to relocate the electric supply half way round, as the cables could not revolve the whole way round. bit of useless information their,:D
Nothing that enriches us is useless... I'll trot that piece of info out, pissed, at some future date - thanks. :happy:

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Staff online

Forum statistics