Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Aces and Eights

Aces and Eights Senior member

It was inportant in 1969 to have the correct pattern brogues to identify you from other brogue wearers. i still only buy Royals today

2. Aces and Eights

Aces and Eights Senior member

I assume you are talking about Slade - this has been discussed and they had no influence to the skinheads in 1969. Also in 1969 reggae bas the basic music diet of skinheads together with Tamla and some chart music. Were you in the UK in 1969??

3. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

Welcome to the General Nostalgia thread!

:D

4. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Thats right A of Es, if anyone turned up with ordinary brogues you would have been laughed at, even wearing Loak brogues you was looked down at.
    Skinheads would spend a weeks wages to get a pair of Royals, or save for weeks to get them.

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  5. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Hmm,there were plenty in the Clubs,I used to go to.

6. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Royals were one of the main Items that made Skinheads stand-out.To this day I still regard them as the smartest Shoe of that time.

7. Brideshead

Brideshead Senior member

I do agree with this POV – up to a point. It does depend on the time period we are talking about, which will vary slightly across the country. Royals – brogues, plains and gibsons - were de rigueur for my lot from some time in 1969 to around the late summer of 1970.

Before then, a much greater variety of styles was ‘allowed’ which included British brogues and Italian styles of footwear (Solatios especially). After that date things began to diversify again, of course.

I certainly agree that during that short ‘purist’ phase any minor deviation from the approved path was met with derision!

As to continuing with such a strict code today – I don’t. Surely, one of the few advantages of living now is that we can sample styles from a much wider spectrum but still remain on the right side of the fence.

Having said that, I agree that Royals had a huge significance – partly due to the high quality and price but also the great style, which was quite unlike anything we had seen before.

8. stephen churchi

stephen churchi New Member

hi spirt of 69 yes iam a traditional skinhead from london now liveing in germany

9. circustavern777

circustavern777 Senior member

I second that , if 1969 skinheads didnt like reggae, what did they like, the trojan reggae, and palma label ect ect was the follow on and let colin and the other originals tell me if im not correct here from the blue beat , and ska music from the mid sixtys. funny when you see film of original skins, they are all dancing to wait for it REGGAE, it will be interesting to see the answers to aces post

10. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Alan,you beat me to it.On Youtube you have plenty of examples of Skinheads and Jamaicans dancing to Reggae-in the same Clubs.Ska was started being danced to by Mods in the early 60s,then the inbetween Period(when I went to Jamaican Clubs)rocksteady was King.Early `69 you started having the Reggae,when Trojan,Pama,Crab,Nu Beat etc.,came into prominence.This was Skinhead Reggae. :)

11. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Hows it going Stephen, Great to see you on here mate.

Last edited: May 12, 2012
  12. circustavern777

circustavern777 Senior member

ok colin reminds me that in early 1970 there was a family of west indians living across the road from me , and one of the boys was a pal of mine he used to invite me over on a sunday morning his mum would have the windows open and would beat the proper ska , blue beat, reggae out, when i went in they had this massive radiogram could have been a blue spot took pride of place in the living room. Always remember lime green frills on the side board and real fancy type of furniture, my pal would wack on the sounds and off we went listening to the real heavy beat sounds that was not played on the radio or totpops he used to wear the pork pie trilby, tell me colin about the royal brouges, were did you buy them what was the sixtys shop were you got them? cos i heard they wernt made by loake, the originals ,did you wear the high leg officer boot ?

13. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

In Manchester, the traditional 'black' clubs we would sometimes frequent, were here:

http://www.mancky.co.uk/?p=4075

No real racial tensions, and the Nile and the Reno were ideal for me, living south of the city centre.

It didn't stay like that, of course... harder drugs, gang wars and a Chief Constable (Sir James Anderton) that believed he was God - no, really - changed everything. (I'd moved on by then, but the clubs were still going into the Eighties.)

Shabeens were popular too, but could be very, very dangerous places. I have some bad memories of one of those, involving a potato peeler.

14. soundsnpressure

soundsnpressure Senior member

O.M.G. (no pun intended), are you Serious?

Are you talking modern or original? Either way the affiliation of reggae and skinheads and their symbiotic connection is hard to avoid or ignore.
    Unless you class reggae as later 70's/80's Aswad/inner circle/Marley type shite, Fair enough.
    Even if a skinhead isn't into ska/rocksteady/reggae, I would find it hard to believe they wouldn't be aware that a large proportion DO embrace this genre.

Last edited: May 12, 2012
  15. soundsnpressure

soundsnpressure Senior member

[​IMG]

Check out this vintage KAYS catalogue. To me, these are very nice Mod suits, could easily be skin, matched with the right shirt/shoes, obviously!
    I love Lastye's old skin suit with the longer jacket. But don't get me wrong, these 'off the peg' catalogue suits look ok to me. The material may be somrthing nasty tho.

Check out the gentleman on the far right smoking! filthy bleeder.

Last edited: May 13, 2012