Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

I had a Cristal Set in the Mid 60s i would go to bed and lie there listing to the Pirate stations, Radio London , and Radio Luxembourg, :)

2. circustavern777

circustavern777 Senior member

can you remember sometimes when you was twisting the tuneing knob you would get police messages come over the radio, radio caroline was another one

3. circustavern777

they done real well thats good to hear. I have four sons i trained each one of them to look after themselves from a right young age all have fought, either kickboxing boxing or wrestling all turned out proper , never been bullys and never been bullied, It gives them a disipline and confidence,

4. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Nice one Alan, You lead by example, Thats what Dads are all about mate.:)

5. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Ha ha,:D I forgot about that ..also forgot about Radio Caroline, :D it was so nice lying there in the dark listing to the Radio.. Mum and Dad never knew, I think ,:D

Last edited: May 7, 2012
  6. circustavern777

I thought it was great when i got a transister spelt that wrong ,,,,, think the make was a solid state used to walk round with it to my ear like the american hippys did probaly the sound was so bad you had to pin it to your ear , anyway made me feel older somehow aint it funny when your young you wanna be older and when your older you wanna be???? i loved them radio djs they were the start we were there at the start lasttye on quite a lot of things,,what about anna nightingale the only lady dj husky old voice and emperor rosko

7. circustavern777

just remembered the make of our radiogram a ferguson,,,, when i got married in 76 i got an amsterad tower system remember them and i put it on my 1970s wall unit, and painted our flat in dark browns and cream the color of them days i liked the vesta beef curry as well you got me on a proper roll down memory lane now mate

8. Aces and Eights

Aces and Eights Senior member

I have 9 by Jack Ringo and various others by other tattooists

9. Aces and Eights

Sing something simple - I thoughht that was just our house that came throught to !! i remember my Mum doing the ironing to that while the rest of us ate paste sanwedges for our tea - about 6pm Sunday night. I had 2 crystal sets of different shapes that my Dad made from old junk. I thought they were great until I got my own radio around 66. I was still listening to Radio Caroline untill she went odff the air 1978 ish? The names you;ve said certainly get you thinking I recall all the things you mentioned

10. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Very true Alan.Where I live now,there is a Youth Centre that has been closed down(originally the Organiser retired).The Council have received applications from People who are interested, in "running"it.Nothing has happened and all you get is the old People moaning about the Youngsters.Believe me,they are not as bad as some Areas I know!

Never was into Kung Fu Films.I Boxed at School and my Father was an old Naval Light-Heavyweight Champion(during the War).So we tended to watch Boxing a lot.Later "Raging Bull" was a favourite Film of mine.In the 80s I was taken to Karate,which I thoroughly enjoyed-especially when we were shown "Street Karate".These were "Moves"that could turn a Fight-without actually doing proper Karate.

In the very early 60s,I went to Radio Luxembourg(with the Scouts) and met Dj Tony Prince.We were shown around the Studios.Like everybody on here,I would listen to it under the bed clothes.When Pirate Radio came,it was a great blessing(good old Beeb was still light years behind).Radio Caroline,and sometimes Radio London,was preferred.I can still remember in `67 when you got Radio 1 for the first time.Never have liked it.Pirate Radio must have influenced me because in the late 70s/and through the 80s,got involved in one around Forest Gate(one "Studio" was on the roof of the old Trebor Factory-in a shed).Those were certainly good days!:)

11. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

When I lived in Guildford, the Emperor Rosko Road Show always came to the Civic Hall.It always got rammed.He would moan over the Mike that one of his Girls had got Pregnant(on the last visit).A great Cheer would go up.Then Bets were made,who would be the next one.There was some dirty b*st*rds there.:)

Every Sunday Morning,my Mates would come round and sit in the Kitchen.My Dad would be doing the Lunch(he was an Officers`Cook in the Navy),and my Mum would chat to them whilst doing the Housework"Round The Horn","Jimmy Clitheroe","Bill Cotton" and others would be on the Radio.Mum used to love this.If we had bought new Records,we would play them and she would have a dance."That Mick Jagger,he is a lovely mover"was one of Her sayings.I can still Picture:rolleyes: the Scene now!

12. circustavern777

As you said colin about your mum mine was the same loved a dance and we was always up the record shop , in them listening booths, i was right into the stones as a kid still am , but i can remember i had to go to the dentist proper craping it , my mum went if you go and have your tooth done i will buy you a record . i went and ended up with REACH OUT ILL BE THERE what year was that i wonder? but the weekends were proper, go shopping on the sat and have a bit of special grub, good telly always seemed better at the weekend , then sunday my old man would do the fry up always put vinager on his bacon and tomatoes , i do as well . then the joint would be roasting in the oven my mum would have a glass of cider or two and the old man a bottle of light ale or double diamond. cakes being baked for sunday tea , the black and white sunday film , a western or war film with the likes of alec guiness , john mills or big john wayne , they would always have a kip in the afternoon some good times mate never had many holidays did you?

13. circustavern777

I am a partner in a tattoo shop in essex ace, my partner Mark fairburn just covered all my old tatts from ringo and ben gunn ect had not had any done for over 25 years then started all over again have you had any lately i remember working over gravesend in the early 70s i was doing demolition , we knocked down the co op in the high street, we used to go to an old cafe next to a pub called the kent arms and im sure harry potter had a shop down there as well could i be right

14. Aces and Eights

Harry Potters parlour was either Princes St or queen St that ran from the high St to the Thames and his shop was on the left.

I had a swallow done about 10 years ago and was amazed at the fine detailing and choice of colours available now. the prices though are colossal - I paid £80 10 years ago for a cover up job and yet 40 odd years ago I paid £4 for an eagle on my chest. I suppose its all relative.

See below link to photos of his early days

Four Tops - "Reach out I'll be there" number 1 October 1966

http://www.harrypottertattooist.co.uk/earlydaysofharry.html

15. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Viota Tea Cakes.Always had a Salad on Sunday Afternoons-with Salad Cream,Battenberg Cake.Remember always going to sleep during the Film.Would wake up and get ready to go to the Club(Sunday Evenings).Always went to Bracklesham Bay(in Sussex)for a Caravan Holiday.Later we went to Selsey Bill.My Sister and I would spend many hours in the back of the Car,watching the bloody rain fall."This is nice" my Mum would always say.You had to enjoy your Holiday-whether it rained or the Sun Shone!It took bloody hours to get there.:D