Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Some of the Black 70s Groups wore those Tops.Bit too much for East Ham!!!!:)

2. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

Used to do that at the Cinephone, on Market Street, Manchester... just showed 'art' films in those later days. :satisfied:

Last edited: May 7, 2012

3. loempiavreter

loempiavreter Senior member

Funny bit about the movies you guys watched. Interesting about the kung fu flicks @ the pictures, 1969/1970 was prior to Bruce Lee´s first proper flick. Must have been Shaw Brothers movies? Did martial arts inspire you guys? Read some things like practising Boxing and Judo by members here.

I'm asking this because i have always been interested in martial arts all my life, I've been doing Taekwondo as a kid, followed some Jeet Kune Do training for 4 years in the past and afterwards done some MMA training until august last year but never till to point that I did proper matches. Big Respect for Alan, doing this stuff in his 50s :slayer:

As for the other movies as Hammer Horror's and kung fu, how about spaghetti westerns? Was it a movie favourite of you guys as well? Or war movies?

4. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

That's it!

5. Man-of-Mystery

...or not, as the case may be, Suzie!

6. Man-of-Mystery

7. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Did Amateur Boxing.

8. circustavern777

circustavern777 Senior member

there were movies by shaw bros like master of the iron palm , ect they defo influenced me to go into martial arts which i started around 14 but is was bruce lee that was realy got me hooked on kung fu and karate we used to go and watch them and come out the pictures fighting each other friendley ,

9. bunty

bunty Senior member

The Wild Bunch, the previously mentioned Bullitt all the Spaghetti westerns, war films like The Dirty Dozen, Kelly's Heroes (all the Hollywood war films, British films were considered 'corny' :D)
    On the telly it was Monty Python, Q5, Pete'n'Dud (anything that your parents didn't 'get') Steptoe and Son, The Big Match, Match of the Day....

Pirate radio stations, I remember seeing the little labels marked on the radiogram in the 'back room' (wasn't allowed in the 'front room', that was only for family get togethers, Christmas, weddings and funerals etc) Emperor Rosko's jingles used to scare me, it was that dalek voice!

I also remember Jimmy Saville's old Record Club on the radio, theme tune was Ramsey Lewis' 'The In Crowd' , this was early '70s I think?. It was on Sunday lunch time ('dinner time') mum doing the roast with a Milk Stout or a Snowball on the go, house deserted , then everyone else came back from the pub to sit around a table and eat together* and then fall asleep in front of The Big Match - Arsenal must've been on a lot....

* We were more civilised in those days.

Mastrollani - great find.

10. Aces and Eights

Aces and Eights Senior member

Its interesting that skinheads were often seen by the masses as hooligans and thugs yet a lot of lads attended boxing gyms regularly myself included when I was 15 and 16 during my skinhead days. When I was 19 I moved into shotokan karate and then on to unarmed combat for duration of 20 years.

This was not an influence from the Enter the dragon film of the time. It was because I never really felt that happy with boxing that you could not use your legs when they were far longer and stronger than your arms. Martial arts straightened out my teenage years and gave me a direction in life that I still relate to today and I would recommend it to any youngster.

Even now your training never leaves your thoughts when a situation arises that may develop into an ugly situation - “The sparrow never lands where the tiger roams.”

11. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Think i told this story on here before, A load of us went down to the Paddington Boys Club one night, We heard a Disco was on, We walked into the main hall , no Disco..but Boxing night, We stood there leaning up against the wall, the trainer said ..here for the boxing lads.. nah we replied, He said fancy having a move around with one of the lads, no way we said, they are proper boxers, he suggested maybe we would like to get in the ring with each other, we fcuking jumped at the chance , gloved up we all had a tear up, The thing with us we all knew how to fight, most Schools back in the 60s had boxing, plus we was fighting in the streets most weekends, The Trainer Mick Gotobed that was his name, became firm friends with us for years after.

The problem these days kids don't know how to fight, growing up in the 50s/60s their was fights every day in the school playground ..the teachers let it go on, sometimes they would split the fight up.. drag you in the Gym and and got you to put the gloves on.
    Happy Days,:)

12. circustavern777

your spot on mate i remember at my school we used to put the gloves on in the pe class and get at it a bit , nowdays the young aint even got a youth centre to go to . proper place gt britain now

13. circustavern777

well said ace how many tatts did you have done by ringo

14. circustavern777

you brought back some good memorys there mate , sunday evenings on thr radio my mum would listen to sing something simple the mike sams singers, and i was waiting for the top twenty to come on i used to lay underneath the radiogram cos i thought it was louder, i can remember waking up on a sat morning to flowers in the rain by the move i think, lets go to san fran cisco , the legend of xanado snoopy vrs the red baron . and we had loads of partys were they would dance to march of the mods and all doing the twist. beer bottles with them stoppers with a rubber ring on it and party seven and party fours. pubs had offys

15. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Boys love to fight, But the Liberal Left have taken away competitive sport...especially Schools Boxing, although its making a come back in some schools, My two boys started Thai Boxing at the age of 8 and 10, its was expensive so i took them to the Dale Youth Boxing Club Notting Hill, 50p a training night, Both my Boys Won Six National Titles Both was ABA Youth Champions, and Boxed for England.
    My Kids would go into School and the Teachers would say to the Wife, Why do you let your boys Box?