• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

BarrelMaker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kmarriner
I am looking into getting a nice chesterfield/crombie, besides that beautiful(and pricy) JtG number which other ones should I look into?
if you are able check vintage stores in your area. ive seen real chesterfields for about 200. a nice crombie may be a skosh more. merc has a decent looking crombie for 175 pound. 70/30 wool nylon blend.

kmarriner

Reaction score
I will check out some stores around here the, should be something in Austin.
If it comes to it.. that JtG one is real nice for 195 pound.

stilts121

Reaction score
This is as good a place as any to ask this. In the first edition of Marshall's "Spirit of '69," there's a facsimile of the original Chris Welch (Melody Maker) article that begins, "The sight of cropped heads and the sound of heavy boots..." It has the cartoon of the skinhead holding the Club Ska '67 record. Anyone have that available as a jpg? I can't for the life of me locate my 1st edition of the book and the 2nd edition doesn't have it.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stilts121
This is as good a place as any to ask this. In the first edition of Marshall's "Spirit of '69," there's a facsimile of the original Chris Welch (Melody Maker) article that begins, "The sight of cropped heads and the sound of heavy boots..." It has the cartoon of the skinhead holding the Club Ska '67 record. Anyone have that available as a jpg? I can't for the life of me locate my 1st edition of the book and the 2nd edition doesn't have it.

I remember it well, and I think I might have referred to it earlier in this thread. About a year or so earlier the same cartoon was used by the MM in an article which was scathing about the late mods - the cartoon was supposed to represent a '67/'68 peanut mod. I remember a sentence in the article which went: "The scooter-borne mod wears a parka with the words 'Dagenham - Dave' on the back".

If anyone sees this cartoon, I too would be grateful for a sight of it.

stilts121

Reaction score
What was the frequency of such articles in the Melody Maker? I've read that IPC is planning on digitizing the entire MM archive and it would be fantastic to read all those old articles.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What was the frequency of such articles in the Melody Maker? I've read that IPC is planning on digitizing the entire MM archive and it would be fantastic to read all those old articles.

Dunno... maybe whenever Chris Welch had a bad hangover, I guess. I do remember I was going to try to interview him (on behalf of "Yell") about his anti-skinhead stance, but he wouldn't agree to it.

I just went looking for some on-line pages from the hippie paper "International Times" from '69 (when I conned them into letting me run "Yell" on their back page), but even these seem to have disappeared from the internet and I stupidly didn't save the pages to my hard drive.

When MM do digitise their archive let me know!

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score

I'll scan it and upload here later tonite, you can download off the upload link

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
here's that drawing

skinhead67.jpg

Ikouja

Reaction score
Originally Posted by oisin
cool. are these and the harringtons nylon?
Hmm, just checked my Harrington, it is: 80% Polyester / 20% Cotton. Lining: 100% Acrylic, fully-lined sleeves too. It's a really nice Harrington.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks to Stilts121 I have now recovered all the images of "Yell"

Yell was an attempt to get a skinhead magazine off the ground. Basically I brazened my way into the offices of "International Times", the hippy (for want of a better word) newspaper (for want of a better word), following their having printed an article critical of skinheads.

I said to someone there words to the effect: "There ought to be a magazine for us skins."

And they replied with words to the effect: "Like, wow... like, far out... like, why don't you start one, man? Like, too much... like wow..."

I said something like, "Why don't you help me set it up?"

And they said, "Like, far out... like, have a page in our paper... like, wow... like, peace and love, man..."

And so it started. It was embarrassing crap for the whole of the five times it appeared, but at least I, and a handful of others, tried. I think my personal politics were too radical, and we never found a coherent voice. Plus maybe there just wasn't room for a skinhead magazine after all. ("Mod" magazine had previously failed.)

I'll link the pics from the IT archive here for you.

IT_1969-11-21_B-IT-Volume-1_Iss-68_019.jpg

Notes on a few names on the first page.

Steve Maxted was the legendary-in-his-own-lifetime London DJ who spun disks at the Savoy Rooms in Catford. I don't think he was the most brilliant record reviewer, but he stayed the distance.

The short letter at the bottom is from a guy called "Pete Currie", now a well respected folk musician of long standing, one time session musician for the Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band.

The column from Manchester has some interesting info about what people were wearing in the North in late '69.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Amazingly, this great thread is getting even better. Many thanks to the contributors for the fascinating read!

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's the next issue of "Yell"

Interestingly there is a reference to our having talked to Chris Welch - blimey, I don't remember having done that!

Amongst the people mentioned on this page is David Bowie (yes THAT David Bowie - he lived near me) whom I met and who liked the idea of what we were doing, even though it was in a totally different direction from the way he was going. You'll also see the name Fred Dove amongst our list of contributors - Fred was an African-British skinhead, and one hell of a nice guy.

The three-frame cartoon at the bottom has my name on it (because I had the idea) next to the little eye which is the actual cartoonist's mark. The actual cartoonist was IT's own, wonderful Edward Barker, now sadly dead.

IT_1969-12-05_B-IT-Volume-1_Iss-69_018.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads