Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. circustavern777

circustavern777 Senior member

very intersting gary what part of the world you from mate. what was the statement you guys were making it will be good to compare with other skins from the same era i am 56 so in 1969 i was 14 im wondering if you may be older as i remember the first wave of skins started with that work look even with the old collarless grandads shirt braces and army greens ect i think the music did matter

2. circustavern777

sorry gary i ran out of space, going back to the music i think the music ie liquidator and the return of django were a big part of the skin sub culture, that and other tunes got us all moving together not just on the dancefloor but as a unit, all for one and one for all. i can remember plenty of times when the tonic mohair or pow check were ruined after a roll round on the floor so to me clothes and styles and music did matter. And still does i also value your opinion and its good to talk with ya mate

3. circustavern777

As good as it gets thats a hard one to me one time would be a summers day cos back then we had summers all out on the scooters may b 15 handed with our birds im still with mine been married ever since we were skins that to me is as good as it gets, getting ya wages when ya did plenty of overtime and spending the lot having the krac all weekend 20 handed at the pictures

4. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

Oh, yes, Sunday nights in the local fleapit/bug hut, those with birds trying it on, those without, shouting at the picture - Dirty Harry, Hammer Horror or Kung-Fu classics - curry and chips from the local Chinese take-away on the way home... God, I miss being young.

Missed it for months, we were all getting older and the 'fun' was wearing thin, but one dark, cold, winter night, me and 'her' decided to pay a visit to the old place... it was a Sunday, as usual, we sauntered up to the door and were told we weren't welcome, and how we wouldn't enjoy it... the doorman was right, the place had started to show Hindi films... we exited and went to the pub. :satisfied:

Used to go to the Apollo Ardwick (now a decent-sized music venue) when there was a new film - a 'big one' as opposed to the dross that had done the rounds for three months - and always, without fail, I used to fall on the same step going upstairs.

My bird, at the time, used to be amazed... and the more I tried to avoid doing it... the more chance of my arse-ing up on another step.

Weirdo or what? :slayer:

Last edited: May 6, 2012

5. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

We have spoken on here about the Boots, Before we got smart in 67/68. we would walk around the streets quite scruffy, Boots , Cheap jeans, Jungle Greens, Donkey jacket, any type of shirt, I am going over old ground here ...maybe Gary should read the whole thread first , then make a statement.
    The above look was invented at school 67/68..mostly down to the fact we was at school and had a lack of money and had to make do with what we could get hold of, mostly out of Army Surplus shops.

Once we left school and had money we started to buy the nice cloths and for some reason looked a bit like Mods.

6. Little Queenie

Little Queenie Senior member

One of my favourite films, Ed! Bob and I have often commented on the clothes the lads in the bogs are wearing in that bit of the film, so not so weird! Been in the Oxford a couple of times years ago. Shame they pulled down the Trinity Square car park: love that bit!

7. mastrollani

mastrollani New Member

8. Pequod

Pequod Member

Hello mastrollani,
    the photos are great!! Thanks for sharing.

9. circustavern777

Great photos best I've seen mate well done

10. circustavern777

. Did you both like the long good friday

11. circustavern777

. Ok ed I loved them Kung Fu films one guy does the job on 50 they were just like us mate lol. Hammer horror Peter Cushing and chris Lee what a win double I remember a night that sticks out me and about 6 pals bunked in to our local pictures a Sunday night, one of our crew had gone in and opened the exit door, as we were crawling on all fours there was a film showing and all I remember was the song give peace a chance blaring out from the screen , but in front of us was the whole arena filled with skins all singing and stamping there boots in time to the song must have been 200 plus from all different manors

12. soundsnpressure

soundsnpressure Senior member

Could anybody direct me in the general direction of purchasing anything like these post skin penny collars [​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. soundsnpressure

soundsnpressure Senior member

14. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

Home, steamin' ... here is ma night:

Last edited: May 7, 2012

15. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

!

Last edited: May 7, 2012