Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Yes records does bring back memories, I was never that much into Reggae, but in 69 I bought The Vampire, By the Upsetters, like a lot of Reggae at the time it was a Instrumental. I bought it in the Reggae shop on Willesden Lane, Kilburn, On the way home i popped into Noreen's, Put it on the record player and started to dance the grind with Her, Norren's was a open house... her Mum allowed her to have the front room..for us kids, There was a couple of sofas and a record player, Sometimes their would be a dozen Boys and Girls in there.
    Happy Days,:)

Last edited: May 4, 2012
  2. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Looking back the two things that was the highlight for me as a Skinhead was Christmas Eve 1969 at the Tottenham Royal, and Chelsea winning the FA Cup replay at Old Trafford 1970.
    Xmas 69 was the pinnacle for London Skinheads, after that it was down hill.

3. Gary Clifton

Gary Clifton Member

Hi All, this might sound like i'm taking the piss but i'm not. It really makes me chuckle when i read these posts about Trad skins, sharp skins and whatever other names, I grew up in London in the 60's/70's on a huge council estate and being a skinhead wasn't about what you wore or what music you listened to it was about being a Skinhead! A gang of mates who back each up if there was any aggro. We would wear boots, any boots they didn't have to be DM's, jeans, and a shirt or t-shirt with braces and a jacket or coat. All the crap that every skinhead wore DM's, Ben Shermans, Brutus slimfits, Crombies etc etc etc makes me laugh, eventaully skins became more into the fashion but that wasn't really untill the Suedeheads came about in the early seventies. One more thing i would like to say, Skins from other countries who say there original skins is not right, its like white rasta's it just can't be. Skinheads were working class kids/blokes from Britain who wanted to make a statement against the times we lived in, it was a chance for me and my mates to walk down the street and be noticed. Unless you were about then you wouldn't understand. I don't mean to upset anyone but i wanted to air my views and they are only MY views.

4. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Looked quite a Place,Ed.

5. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Interesting that Gary.I was a Skinhead that did take Pride in his Appearance(I followed on from being a Mod)..You are right about wearing Brutus Shirts,I never wore them-Ben Shermans.

6. Little Queenie

Little Queenie Senior member

Last edited: May 5, 2012
  7. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

I'd forgotten - if I ever knew - about that one... but Hollinwood may as well have been 'Hollywood' for me. :satisfied:

Wayyyyyyy... out of my (then) comfort zone. :)

8. Yankee

Yankee Well-Known Member

Hey, sorry I missed this.
    Haven't been to San fran events in a while, but I'm going in a couple of weeks when my semester is over and I get back my weekends.
    Are you on Facebook? Message me your username if you like, and be sure to check out the San Fran Vintage Reggae group.

I am going to a show on my island tonight. John Patricks is fun place, let me know if you'll be around. Always nice to get some soul and rocksteady into a punk/oi night.
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...886630710.1691.101114746630724&type=1&theater

9. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

Great finds, Pequod.

Interesting to see that in pic 3, the two lads in jeans, how the jeans were turned up, inside, with no attempt, like today, to hide big, inside turn-ups. (Come on, no one has turn-ups - or 'trouser cuffs, for our 'colonial' chums - like that any more... do they?)

I mean, when we get jeans now, we can buy them in leg lenths - even for fat, little short-arses like me.

Then, back in our olden times, :embar: IIRC, that wasn't the case... or am I wrong?

Did we (originally) not cut them, maybe imagining we'd grow into the whole length of the legs?

And, of course, if you did grow that wee bit - I never grew much from 15 until now - there was always that tell-tale line (after washing and shrinkage) that wasn't quite 'right' - know what I mean?

As an aside, I watched (again) 'Get Carter' this afternoon. And, when 'Carter' followed a baddie (Bernard Hepton), into a dance hall bogs, the lads stood at the urinals were all dressed very 1970... I wasn't knob-watching, honest. :slayer:

Last edited: May 6, 2012
  10. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

So as not to steal Pequod's thunder, on what is a great pictures post... here's the 'Get Carter' scene I mentioned.

Try: 1'-18 - in... that said, the whole element the OP has posted is worth a view, IMHO.

Isn't the 'interweb' - :satisfied: - wonderful? :D

Last edited: May 5, 2012
  11. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

"Like two pissholes in the snow".Great Film.

Well done,Pequod,at least you have started constructively.:)

12. circustavern777

circustavern777 Senior member

13. circustavern777

morning all southend late 1970, that was a very nice sheepy my girl had on im wearing dark red harrington and rupert checks the crop had grown out all the best

14. circustavern777

When i first started out as a skinhead i did not have a ben sherman brutus , or martins i wore a white t shirt rolled up jeans a pair of braces and wait for it plimsols. when you stop laughing about the plimsols i will carry on. Thank goodnes for my old dads black grainy old leather work boots cos they was what i wore next. I used to look at all or most of the other skins wearing ben sherman as colin rightfully said there were no brutus or jaytex then , and i could not wait till i could get one the same with me dms. I aggree with gary it was all about being of one , a crew or firm or gang call it what you like its pretty much the same. I am still great pals with a couple of originals from back in the day . But we all have opinions some the same some different so what i say is if you wanna wear work boots and rolled up jeans ect good luck to ya, and if you wanna wear dms ben sherman or brutus i still think there checks were the best but i am a bit younger than some of the guys then good luck to them as well cos what really matters is we were all SKINHEADS,