Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Little Queenie

Little Queenie Senior member

Nothing wrong with that, Ed!

2. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

The Armed Forces have their own language, One universal word used is Grip, :D Get a grip, Grip that weapon, Grip your boots and so on.:D

3. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

We also was in Clacton for a week in 1970, Highfields Holiday Camp, met loads of Teenagers from East and West London, One record that sticks in my mind, In The Summer Time by Mungo Gerry, :D

Another Great record from that Year was Farewell Is A Lonely Sound, Jimmy Ruffin, My mate Gerry had just broke up with his Girlfriend...every time I hear it i think of Him, They played it at his Funeral a couple of years ago, I was one of the few who really knew what that song meant to him.

Last edited: May 4, 2012

4. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

Ed, re your post on 'Polari' (or 'Palari'), it comes from pidgin-Italian 'Carni', the language of carnival and circus people in the 19c. Long before it was taken up by the gay community.

5. Man-of-Mystery

The 'Black Russian' I think!

6. Man-of-Mystery

I'm not going to flog this to death - I know I've said it before - they came to the college I was at, and believe me they had got the look SO wrong, and I mean like button braces work with belts holding up tesco bomber jeans! I and a couple of mates told them what was what, but still their skinhead 'look' didn't last long. They were trying to get on what they thought would be a bandwagon - big fail!

I support the motion to forget about them as far as this thread goes.

7. Man-of-Mystery

Ed, can you remember the name of the Soul club in Oldham that opened it doors on Friday night and didn't shut until Monday morning? People who had come out of the Wheel used to go there. This would have been about '68.

8. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

Forget about who? (Not 'The Who' - obviously.) :)

9. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

Ever-evolving language - don't you just love it? :teach:

10. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

Ssssshhh - let's keep it as our, wee secret. :nodding:

11. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Early Summer(`70),three of us went to Lands End by Transit Van.We slept in the back and got our Food,mainly from Farmers etc.Everywhere we went,the Locals were friendly.We did not see any Skinheads all the time we were there.The Pubs were still very much Traditional(so no Juke Boxes),even in places like Newquay.The Tourists from the North had not got there yet.We took a Transitor Radio,but most occasions never had it on.We listened to Local Singers,and to this day,I wonder where all the Traditional Songs of England have gone!

12. Little Queenie

Little Queenie Senior member

Was that the 'Top Twenty'?

13. Aces and Eights

Aces and Eights Senior member

In the summer time – Mungo Jerry there was also a reggae version by the Music Doctors. This always reminds me of when 12 of us went off in one of our lads Thames van. No licence or insurance and all under age. Down to the coast - beers in the pub, fights with greasers at the fun fair, chatting up the birds in the pubs and fair and kipping in a hay barn at night till one of them starts a fire and we have to scarper (after putting it out first – weren’t that stupid then to get nicked for arson).

Must have been summer of 69 or 70 and around 15 or 16 years old. Foolish behaviour but great excitement when we met up the next day to go over our exploits. And such treasured memories of that time.

Its the great old songs of the day that bring the memories flooding back because unless you have some photos or see old mates regularly these are the only memory joggers left. And its always in particular that skinhead period - the best days of our lives !!

14. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

Close... but not quite. :D

Probably here: http://www.soulbot.com/Top-Ten-Club-Manchester.htm

Not too far from Oldham Road - far enough, though - it was a regular for many folk 'coming down' before work on Monday.

Belle Vue was some place, for its time, and was a massive draw for all sorts of people, for all sorts of reasons... from all over the country.

I saw The Who,* in the circus Big Top (King's Hall) , circa 1973-74 - off my tits on some crud a mate had found in his mother's handbag. :slayer:

Google: Belle Vue, Manchester - awesome. (In a sad, tacky - yet exciting!!! - mid-20th century sort of way.)

Edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belle_Vue_Zoological_Gardens

Edit, Edit: Just found this: The Who, Kings Hall,

* The Concert File notes:
    The two nights in Manchester saw The Who playing for the first time at the 5,000-seat Kings Hall within the Belle Vue amusement park. Unlike the other members of the band, Keith Moon was no stranger to the venue. He had played at Belle Vue earlier in the year as drummer in the fictitious group The Stray Cats while filming Stardust, starring David Essex. This was the largest capacity venue on the whole tour, and a demand for tickets throughout meant that many fans were left disappointed.

The next day, November 3, The Who released Quadrophenia. A conceptual storyline album told in song-cycle, Quadrophenia is the tale of Jimmy Cooper the Mod, based on 'Irish' Jack Lyons, an old Mod-friend from Shepherd's Bush, Goldhawk Club regular and the co-author of this book. Within The Who only Pete was a true Mod. He believed in the style and sometimes led that style to the letter. What he may not have realised was that he was regarded by most West London Mods as a leading face. Having received rave reviews in the music press Quadrophenia became The Who's third biggest selling album, reaching the number 2 spot both in the US and the UK

From this site: http://manchesterhistory.net/bellevue/gigs.html

Last edited: May 5, 2012

15. Kingstonian

Kingstonian Senior member

Our lot went on a group holiday to Butlins in 1970 too. I decided to hitch round Italy instead. Butlins seemed too parochial. I had not been outside the UK much. People did not venture abroad so often in those days. First time I ate pizza - which was virtually unheard of in the UK.

Last edited: May 4, 2012