Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

I'm late onto this as well, but I'll tell you this: our Suzie is the business!

2. Man-of-Mystery

you're just jealous coz you're not gettin' any! ;)

3. Man-of-Mystery

That will happen.

4. Man-of-Mystery

A product of the North-South split, I'd say. It wasn't called 'Northern' soul for nothing. I remember reading a Northern Soul mag in the 1970s and one of the DJs had been a Blackpool mini-mod in 1967/8, but there he was in the pic wearing a Ben Sherman and braces, typical skinhead gear. I think up there the 'soul' culture persisted right through the skinhead era and into the NS era

5. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

It must be my Age,or something,but I think I have finally sussed out-how "Hard Mods"(then eventually Skinhead) came about.It would fit in with the Skinhead Ethos.I am reading a Book(Fictional) called"Here Come The Nice".In the Story,(set in Modern Britain)the main Character is Researching Carnaby Street-and especially John Stephens.Now it starts off by going back to 1964.A Character who is just called the "Face" is standing outside The "Scene"Club in Ham Yard.The "Face"ends up like a time traveller-but not just yet.Are you following me so far?The "Face" is the epitome of a Top Mod.He buys the latest Clothes etc.,and he knows his way about "Up West".One of the things he is doing(because he believes this is what a"Face" should do)is go with pretty Male Mods,and "Rent Boys".This is just a Story!!!:)
    The Historical Background is very sharp and well researched.There are a number of things that have really got me thinking.John Stephens came from Glasgow(he was Gay).He started up his Tailoring Business to cater for a mainly Gay Clientel.He moved to bigger Premises around in Carnaby Street.This much is Fact.What is thought provoking is-a lot of his Male Assistants supplemented their Income by being "Rent Boys" in Piccadilly.In the 60s,the "Dilly" was known as the "Meat Rack".Being 14 at the time I just assumed it was where Prostitutes hung out,but it was a "Rent Boy"pick-up area.They would do their "Business" downstairs in the Gents.Police would go undercover and be on the look-out ,because Homosexuality was illegal then.Mods had started wearing Eye-liner and to some degree Lipstick.I am not saying all the Mods were Gay,but I think(especially in the West End)a high proportion were.As the years rolled on,the Clothing and Styles got more effeminate and this is when I believe more and more Mods rebelled against this.The Clothing became more Masculine,Boots were worn to show this off to effect.Coloured Shirts etc.,were discarded.In real Terms this was Mod shrugging off the Gay Element.
    Funny how years later,The Gay Movement adopted the "Skinhead Look".

6. Man-of-Mystery

What Does it Take[ To Win Your love], Junior Walker and the all Stars 1969, What a great record it was to dance with a Girl.:)[/quote

Top track, Roy! :D

7. Man-of-Mystery

Yep, I was. :)

8. Man-of-Mystery

You'd watch it to see Donna Douglas. Fess up!

9. Man-of-Mystery

Please do! :)

10. Man-of-Mystery

Thank you. They're fading fast...

11. Man-of-Mystery

I HAVE GOT HERE AT LAST!!!!!

I am now up-to-date with the thread! I'll try to keep it that way.

The new material for the book is going to take some time to deal with. I am now not going to make any promises about when the whole thing may be finished, but we are making some progress.

I'm looking forward to seeing those of you who are coming to York. I will arrive about 11.30 and be there for the day, getting a train back late afternoon. Looking forward to meeting the crowd from last year and those I haven't met yet. I'm particularly looking forward to shaking hands with Ed.

12. Sidney Scott

Sidney Scott Member

Evening all. Not from London but here at the moment and living in South London. A bit of on the young side as I was a 1980's skinhead so pleased to meet you all and here your comments. Nice ones I hope.

13. Sidney Scott

Sidney Scott Member

'Leave me Alone' by Angelic Upstarts still rings bells with me. Maybe that's because I'm getting to be a grumpy old t.... but you're right; easier music on the ear becomes the norm when you get older.

14. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

Having met Bob and "Little Queenie' last night, I'd like to say... 'what lovely, genuine people', they are.

Despite me being, slightly the worse for wear, after a late finish at work, they took me to their collective bosom(!) and provided me with hours of entertainment.

For those who have never met wee Suzie... think a better-lookin'... 'Julie Driscoll'.

And Bob, wearing all the clobber. is a very decent, incredibly astute bloke - I'm really pleased to have met both of 'em.

If they can stomach me at York, I'll see some of you, next month.

Jings, was I pissed. (They were on blackcurrant and water - that's why they are not fatties.) :satisfied:

Last edited: Apr 28, 2012

15. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

Get ready to count your fingers. :nodding:

Me too. :satisfied: