• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Yankee

Reaction score
circustavern, I'm from New York City.
I was born in the late 70s, but I remember my older brother who was in high school in the 80s having one as well as all his friends, too. Big British cultural influence in the US then with punk, two tone, mod revival, new romantics, skins, etc, everywhere. I assume it was part of all that, as I haven't seen anyone under age 80+ wearing one in years...

Last edited:

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Besides the ID Bracelet, my Dad bought me a Omega watch, I sold it to a lad down the road, fcuking shame, Wish i had it now,

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was born in the late 70s, but I remember my older brother who was in high school in the 80s having one as well as all his friends, too. Big British cultural influence in the US then with punk, two tone, mod revival, new romantics, skins, etc, everywhere. I assume it was part of all that, as I haven't seen anyone under age 80+ wearing one in years...

I have seen present day Skinheads wearing chunky ID Bracelets , With 70s Watches with the wide leather straps. Not sure where that comes from, ??

circustavern777

Reaction score

was in new york around 98 loved it stayed on lexington ave will go back one day you must have a big interest in the skinhead era what is it that stands out is it just the cloths

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have seen present day Skinheads wearing chunky ID Bracelets , With 70s Watches with the wide leather straps. Not sure where that comes from, ??

Yankee do you ever get in Nevada Smiths on 3rd Ave?.:)

circustavern777

Reaction score
found some more black and white pics of my cousin and her mate proper original skin girls , a proper classic will get my boy to post asap

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The 60s was all about ID Braclets and Signet rings, :D

Yankee

Reaction score
New york was great back then! It's changed quite a bit since then, lost a lot of character and all of its edge.

was in new york around 98 loved it stayed on lexington ave will go back one day you must have a big interest in the skinhead era what is it that stands out is it just the cloths

Here goes, since you asked!

I got into the scene at 17 or so, in the mid 1990s. I took a few breaks along the way to do my own thing style wise (sometimes radically) but It's something I've always come back to. Most of my friends who stayed "100% faithful" long burned out and moved on, but my appreciation for the whole thing has grown as I've gotten older.

The way I see it: from the original era through all the revivals, it's become unmatched as a subculture. Where else can you find people from nearly every ethnic background, from the farthest right and left political extremes, and with music ranging from loud and rough hardcore and oi to mellow and dancey stuff like soul and reggae?

It's more inclusive than any other subculture while being more exclusive than any other.

That keeps it interesting.
Aside from whatever weekly episode of scene drama was happening, it was no bullshit, you knew real quick where you stood, and problems got settled, one way or another. Some would say it brought out the worst in people, but it also brought out the best, you had to be on guard and keep your **** together, man up and deal with fear, pressure, humiliation or worse, and stick by your friends and let them stick by you.

It's definitely lost a few of its teeth and lots of people are running around now that would have been checked HARD a few years ago, but at the same time it's underground again, out of the news, it's been forgotten by the world, most people don't even recognize "it" without bleached jeans, 14is and a bare crop. For better and for worse.

Style-wise, the Ny skin scene at the time was also very connected to the hardcore punk scene, so there was a big range in skinheads, from smart to totally scruffy, not really one single set of 'rules' beyond having the right attitude. Lots of ignorance, too. The idea of how one would be treated for wearing weejuns and a cardigan to certain shows is pretty funny, it wouldn't be pleasant.

This thread is so interesting because it puts alot of "the lore" into context and expands on it.

I remember before the internet those black and white illustration plates— someone had photocopies of them from a friend of a friend who had night's book and others from "the bible," we didn't know what some of those clothing items were beyond a name (and werent even sure what was what sometimes, like segs), even with scene stores in NY like "99x" and "Trash and Vaudeville" selling pricey gear and friends who'd been to the UK bringing back things.

It's really something to see people on this thread who were in pictures we'd pour over as youths in some grubby photocopied pamphlet, wondering what the deal was.

I've been moving a lot more traditional and smart lately since hitting my 30s, more than ever before, and there's great info here. The San Francisco traditional scene has been getting me out again, it's very vibrant, smart, good revival bands and reggae parties every couple of weeks. Still catch oi shows when I can as well, a couple of weeks ago was a huge weekend for bands, people were flying in from across the country.

Last edited:

Aces and Eights

Reaction score
Skinheads were not jewellery minded as these could be pulled / damaged in scraps so I cannot remember lads wearing ID bracelets, neck chains or even watches. We did have signet rings bought by your current girlfriend and you usually gave an engagement ring back – on reflection very much like Del Boy in Rock and Chips.

I clearly remember tiger tails as a kid on aerials on Mods scooters and World Cup Willie from 1966 World cup

In reference to Yankees posting, I bought a copy of the ‘The Spirit of 69 A Skinhead Bible’ about 10 years ago in a Mod shop (now gone) on the corner of Carnaby Street and Beak Street for £8.95 and recently seen a copy going for £85 on Ebay. A good investment for being an old skinhead !!

Yankee

Reaction score
Yankee do you ever get in Nevada Smiths on 3rd Ave?.
smile.gif

Yes! I've seen the world cup there and used to go to watch bundesliga games after I got back from Germany.
I moved to the west coast 5 years ago, I miss it.
Happy birthday, by the way!

Last edited:

Yankee

Reaction score
Skinheads were not jewellery minded as these could be pulled / damaged in scraps so I cannot remember lads wearing ID bracelets, neck chains or even watches. We did have signet rings bought by your current girlfriend and you usually gave an engagement ring back – on reflection very much like Del Boy in Rock and Chips.

I clearly remember tiger tails as a kid on aerials on Mods scooters and World Cup Willie from 1966 World cup

In reference to Yankees posting, I bought a copy of the ‘The Spirit of 69 A Skinhead Bible’ about 10 years ago in a Mod shop (now gone) on the corner of Carnaby Street and Beak Street for £8.95 and recently seen a copy going for £85 on Ebay. A good investment for being an old skinhead !!

I've seen it for $300!
and now anyone who wants can download it here: http://www.skinheads.ru/books+movies

I wouldn't say internet killed skinhead, but it took a lot of the fun out of it.

Little Queenie

Reaction score

Besides the ID Bracelet, my Dad bought me a Omega watch, I sold it to a lad down the road, fcuking shame, Wish i had it now,

My dad was given an Omega watch, engraved with his initials on the back, for his 21st. That would have been December '65. He bought me and my sister a gold watch for our 21sts too. I think it was quite an old fashioned tradition; my Grandma must have had to save for ages to buy it for him! Omega still make nice watches. ID bracelets and signet rings are just very '60's I think.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads