Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Pressure_Drop

Pressure_Drop Senior member

I'm not completely computer illiterate you know :) But it was giving me an error code, well that's the story and I'm sticking to it!

Never drink lager - bitter or cider my tipple - or a nice Appleton Rum will do :cheers:

2. Pressure_Drop

Pressure_Drop Senior member

Sadly I'm not in the pic, I'm a bit younger than these guys (I'm 56) but I've met some of them (well the one's that are still alive). They were a notorious mod/skinhead gang who used to hang around in the 'Never on a Sunday' cafe in Bristol from about 1966-1971, they're in their 60s now and sound as a pound but they were pretty troublesome back in the day.

I've written about them, as well as my good self in 'Booted and Suited'

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Booted-Suited-Chris-Brown/dp/1844547469

3. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Pressure Drop,are there any Plans for doing a more in depth Bookabout the intermediate years, between Mod and say Skinhead-`65 to `68?

4. circustavern777

circustavern777 Senior member

when i first went to jacks it would have been the summer of 1971, my mum came that day cos she wanted to see her sister in eltham i remember his shop was right by the ferry, and it only held about 6/8 people it was an old brown cabin i remember the old lady dishing out players no 6 fags in the shop, any way i had a big black panther fighting with a snake top of arm , so off we go now to eltham why did me mum come cos i didnt no me way to woowich and she was a sarf londoner, i will always remember when we got to eltham , i went off to get some fags i was 15 years and a few months, and as i was walking up the wellhall rd i, i am in full skinhead kit no2 crop tartan check brutus white sta prest and finished off with highly polished cherry red dms and half inch braces feeling very tasty sporting a big new tatto, i see this motorbike and side car come gliding past me i can see the geezer now german helmet cut down denim ect the roed seemed empty as they were in them days up the road he went and came back down im now thinking when s the others gonna turnup but they never did , im glad there was no T MOBILE i may have been bang in it. your right ACES were could we trade this wonderful trips back down memory lane i forgot all about that day regards A.

5. buttons

buttons Senior member

Great pics mate.
    Did the Mini belong to one of the lads?
    Had you all just arrived in it?!!

6. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

Yes, mate - along with half-a-dozen or so other blokes from my college. :D

(PS - Everyone, I am having hellish difficulties getting into the forum lately - sorry)

7. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Good to have you back,Mate!

8. circustavern777

circustavern777 Senior member

GONNA ORDER THIS

9. Little Queenie

Little Queenie Senior member

M-o-M is having a bit of a problem with this site at the moment as some of you might be aware, but we are keeping up on things for the book and it is still progressing (if a little slowly!). Having the new reminiscences from the more recent members is definitely giving the thread a much needed boost! Think that little rant of yours did the trick Mr. Brideshead.....

10. Man-of-Mystery

Working on it. :)

11. Little Queenie

Little Queenie Senior member

We must have 'crossed in the post' Paul!!

12. Man-of-Mystery

I am on the site at the moment LQ, but it's like wading bollocks-high in treacle. :(

13. Man-of-Mystery

Och, ya nyaff!

14. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Micky Greenaway RIP is still a legend at Chelsea,He was way older than us, You would hear him up the back somewhere starting Zigga, It was said he was stabbed once? and lying on the stretcher shouting out Zigga, Zagga. Thats part of the legend ?? I never saw him fighting, but in saying that I was only 15 in 69 and not part of his world, most the fighting I got involved in at football was with my mates from Kilburn. We stood on the Shed End together and fought together.
    Like all Football firms they was made up from many Gangs around SW, W. NW. London.

Most of the Shed was made up of 15/17 year olds who done most the fighting, Chelsea always seemed to be Boys often fighting Men.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  15. Man-of-Mystery

This is an interesting comment. Just recently I started reading Sam Selvon's 'The Lonely Londoners'. It's a novel from the 1950s, the first one to be written in Trinidadian dialect in the UK - it's fairly mild dialect so it's well readable. Sam Selvon was a Trinidadian who arrive in Britain in the 50s himself, and part of the novel deals with white women's fascination with West Indian men.

Just saying - off topic, sorry.