Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

Thank you, for making an old man feel so much older... :satisfied:

2. Pressure_Drop

Pressure_Drop Senior member

Got it in one mate - (think it was 2-1) the John Hollins goal was the goal of the season and they used to show it at the start of the 'Big Match' - I did follow Chelsea a bit then (loads in Bristol did) but I went off them after Mr Greenaway and his mates let me down one evening!!

3. Pressure_Drop

Club Ska nights - do/did any of you old 'uns go to the Club Ska nights?

A few years back in Bristol there was quite a scene run by local Jamaican lad Brian Allen under the South West Ska Club - he put on quite a few nights, Skatalites, Desmond Dekker, Laurel Aitken, Owen Gray, Prince Buster plus some of the newer bands like The Trojans and The Cats(?) anyway he eventually done a runner with the money so it all died out but I see Club Ska is still going strong in London, so wondered if any of you lot went to any of the events.

There was a joint SW Ska/Club Ska event in Reading about (I'm guessing) five years ago with the 3 Kings of Ska - Derrick Morgan, Laurel Aitken and Owen Gray, met up with a few London lads, attached is a photo from that night, I've got some others somewhere if I can just bloody find them. Remember the lad on the right well - met him at other events as well, he had a very nice missus if I recall! :D

Unfortunately Windows is playing silly buggers and I can't rotate the pic so you''ll have to turn your PCs 90 degrees....

[​IMG]

4. Pressure_Drop

Oh and while I was rummaging through me drawers, found these two old ones as well - 'Never on a Sunday' lads outside the cafe in The Pithay, Bristol - 1970.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you want to hear more about the 'Never on a Sunday' gang, read the book! :laugh:

5. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Regarding the Big Match or Match of the Day on TV... for Years in the 70s at the start of the program it would show Thousands of Chelsea Skinheads at Crystal Palace.. Boxing day 1969, The camera swooped along the terraces clearly showing the Skinheads, That day their was snow on the ground...some lads throwing snowballs at Jimmy Hill as he walked pass us on the pitch behind the goal, He took it in fine spirt by the way.:)

I must have a look on UTube to see if i can find it. ?

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012

6. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

Looking at the clobber - this has to be '71?

7. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Scruffy Blleeders!!!

I did not need to go much outside East London ,in the 70s.Had all the Clubs I wanted to go there(I went into Soul/Funk and Jazz)."Up West" seemed to lose its` Appeal,for a while-except Crackers.I was thinking how my Buying Sprees changed as well.In the 60s I went to different Areas of London to get my Clothes and Music but by the 70s I shopped mainly in East Ham,Upton Park,Stratford,Ilford and along "the Roman".There was also a "Flips" in Shoreditch.:)

8. harrysgame

harrysgame Senior member

In Northampton it was the teams crest in gold wire and wool. Like this.

[​IMG]

9. harrysgame

harrysgame Senior member

Mick Greenaway has never organised a fight in his life mate. He was more known for singing and even stopping fights than throwing punches himself.
    He's the bloke who made up the song Zigga Zagga and brought One Man Went to Mow to Chelsea. He was a legend at Chelsea, but not for fighting. All the stories about him ruined his life. RIP mick. :worship:

10. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

:nodding:

11. Pressure_Drop

Didn't mean to cause offence, so apologies if it seemed that way. I'm well aware of Mr Greenaway's reputation and indeed he was a legend amongst us 'in the know' - he was always held in high esteem around the country, not just in London.

A good friend of mine who was one of the well known Bristol faces who followed Chelsea introduced me and a few of my mates to him, let's just say there was a misunderstanding and I got a bit of a slap - not from Chelsea I hasten to add.:embar:

12. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

pressure drop, here is yer pic, rotated rightside up, it's a bitch having to turn the PC 90 degrees!!

[​IMG]

13. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

Spill your lager? :satisfied:

14. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

:D

15. circustavern777

circustavern777 Senior member

love the pic pressure mate but i really like the pic of that mk 1 capri in hertz proper classic shot wonder if the mini is brg are you among them chaps and whats the book about and were can it be got from regards