Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. circustavern777

circustavern777 Senior member

i remember BEARMANS STORE in leytonstone just down the road from the green man pub had two boutiques as they called them victoria and albert i was around nine and when you said you stopped wearing the color,d shirts it reminded of turtle neck s in real bright pinks and mauves lilacs , and kipper ties and cravats in paisley and them cord caps

2. loempiavreter

loempiavreter Senior member

I am wondering how the book is coming along, Paul/M-o-M isn't on the forum as often anymore :(

3. circustavern777

who had ther initials embroided on to the breast pocket of a black blazer that must have been 70/71

4. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Yes,there were the two types.I was wearing the fancy Jackets,Polka Dot Shirts,Satin Shirts,coloured Trousers-slight Flare on them.Then I got to know someone-who lived near Warren Street Tube(who was into short Hair,Mohair Suits etc.),he put me right in where to go and find the Clothes etc.I had also been to the Marquee and had seen the Mods who were there-for the Skatalites.I liked what they were wearing.

5. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

I went from parting my Hair in the middle to a No.4.My Mother nearly had a heart attack!!!!

6. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Colours was bright Jason, The Maroon Harrington was the most popular just like these days, But every colour of Harrington was worn, as Browniecj said.. Lemon, Turquoise was also a sort after colour, Never saw Burgandy Staprest, Sky blue was popular. Bright coloured toweling socks was worn...even Pink.

The whole thing with Skinhead dress was to be noticed, :)

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  7. circustavern777

them satin shirts just brought back a big memory mate i used to drive my mum mental for one i can hear her saying it wont fit you your to young, they were the ones in bearmans would they have been£3

8. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

Searched for ages for a gold braid, MUFC blazer pocket badge, found an armed forces, uniform and decorations suppliers that ordered me one... then people stopped wearing blazers. :brick:

9. el norte

el norte Active Member

More Chelsea from 1970. Jean patches?

[​IMG]

10. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

I remember seeing the Initials on a Blazer.A Mate of mine played for Luton Town-and the all Team had them done.Very smart.
    In the early 70s,had Bowling Shirts that were in plain Colours.My Mum was an Expert with the Needle so She sewed my Initials(similar to the American Style)over the Breast Pocket.This would be about `71/`72. :)

11. el norte

el norte Active Member

Don Letts in 1970.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  12. dopeman

dopeman Active Member

As he always says on his radio show when referring to a Skinhead tune (or whenever he mentions the word Skinhead)... " thats the fashion kind,not the fascist kind"..

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  13. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

14. Aces and Eights

Aces and Eights Senior member

When we used Jacks back in 69 /70 he had a tiny studio in the back yard of a shop with the entrance right onto the street in a road off Plumstead Road Woolwich just before ‘Sams’ the ex army surplus store and the covered market. I remember now that he was going to move down towards the ferry but we had started using Harry Potters tattoo parlour at Gravesend.

Jacks small studio used to have a row of old cinema seats and you could probably only get around 6 customers squashed in. Those days we were only 15 to 17 years olds and the greasers were 25 years plus so you always felt intimidated and had to watch what you said so as not to offend them as they were always mob handed. But as i said we never had any trouble with them.

Where else but here would you be able to reminisce about a tattoo shop you used over 40 years ago. I am surprised Jack is still about – he must be eightyish now or maybe he just seemed older to us back then

I am just down the road at Dartford so I am know the Circus Tavern. I remember it was very popular in the 70s as an alternative to going to the West End to see live shows/cabaret etc The last time I was there was in 1997 and saw Roy Chubby Brown – very good and a full house

15. Sirryacus

Sirryacus Senior member

It's cool to read these stories, I'm not a skinhead but I like reading stories from older days from just about any music subculture and the fact that most of you are near my grandparents age makes it all the more astonishing, I would say my grandfather would have been closer to what you call a greaser or rocker but I don't believe he ever ran with any type of gang or anything, the best thing about these stories from this time period is the fighting and not having to worry about getting shot which is a real concern in street fighting in recent times especially here in the united states, it makes it less likely to settle a score with an old fashioned fist fight because any random idiot could have a pistol at the ready.