Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Very smart John.

I have the very same RL Cardigan.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012

2. Brideshead

Brideshead Senior member

Thanks for the nice words. I am struggling with the chins too!

Jason, that Combat harrington must be the best value item I have ever bought - thanks mate!

3. Pressure_Drop

Pressure_Drop Senior member

Great authentic recollections Ed - and as a young skinhead who also participated in the noble art of terrace hooliganism I can vouch that this sort of event was common all over the country and not just confined to the big clubs in the (old) First Division, the numbers may have been smaller in the lower divisions but 50 against 50 at Mansfield was no different from 1,000 against 1,000 at Highbury - and yes, those sort of numbers are correct. Just for the record the scariest group of football skinheads I ever saw were Birmingham City, who did seem to have a distinctive look about them, seem to remember nearly all of them were wearing baggy Navy Whites. Preston North End were another mob who were very distinctive in their look - almost regimented and uniform, again with the Navy whites, although I can recall in our suedehead period when just about everyone in Bristol wore black Brutus shirts - some with football badges sewn on to the breast pocket - as well as on to your Crombie, and I definitely remember going to Leeds in the same period and Leeds fans questioning this fashion as to a man they were wearing sheepskins - mind you this querying was just before they gave us a larruping.

I do recall going to Stamford Bridge in 1970 to see Chelsea play Arsenal with my Arsenal supporting cousin and uncle, thank God I watched from the safety of the stand (the Shed was to my right, the Matchstick Stand to my left so not sure what stand this was) as the two warring tribes kept up the fighting for virtually the whole of the game, it was like something out of a war film - I was most impressed!

I also recall the 'gap' opening up on the terraces between the two sets of fans as mentioned by Ed, this 'no-man's land' would often be filled with the detritus of battle, shoes (as not everyone wore boots), scarves, bobble hats, miner's helmets, sticks, bottles and the odd cosh and knife - there was also a fair amount of loose change to be hand for us young 'uns - the older ones wouldn't demean themselves in picking up a few bob but I never had a problem with it!

I always remember my mum used to give me ten bob (50p) when on went on away games to get some fish and chips, it goes without saying that it was usually spent on ale - think my first pint would have been in the region of 1/6d in 1970/71ish but I might be wrong on that - we used to drink Light Splits (Light and Bitter) and it had to be Courage Ale.

Funny thing about the Saints tattoo, that was also common in Bristol - but on greasers! There was even a group of bikers from the tough district of Southmead who were known as the Southmead Saints. Can't recall many lads with earrings - only greasers and gypos at the fairs. And that's another scary place - fairs, always trouble as our local fair was situated on the border of my district, Henbury and the aforementioned Southmead - funny when I hear 'Liquidator' these days it doesn't remind me of Chelsea but of the Waltzer!

Happy days

4. Pressure_Drop

Pressure_Drop Senior member

I was just about to ask about that Harrington - it looked like a Baracuta except for the lining - just checked the prices, bloody hell bargain or what, paid £140 for my G9 a few years back. Can anyone recommend decent Sta-prest, I've looked at the Warrior ones and think they look a bit cheap?

5. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

That match Chelsea V Arsenal 1970 that you was at Chris, I was also there and wrote about it on here some pages ago. I mentioned the Arsenal Supporter coming at me with a Axe.
    That stand you was on about was the old North East Stand, The terrace under the stand would hold about Three Thousand and Two Thousand was Arsenal Skinheads, :D
    Chelsea Won that day cant remember the score ...but John Hollins got a goal...it hit the cross bar as it came back he put it in on the volley,

Yes happy days.

6. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Try Brooks Brothers,

7. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Cockney Man Utd supporters was hated in London..and when ever they was caught they would get a heavy kicking,
    I came out of the Tottenham Royal one Tuesday night with a mate we got on the then new Seven Sisters Stn, My mate and Me was sitting there and a load of Man U got on, Did not realise at the time they was playing Spurs. As it happened they was Londoners, about Twenty of em ..we was suited up and wearing crombies, they came over.. I said lads we ant football supporters ..don't support anyone....this cnut had a broken bottle in his hand and was waiving it about near my face, i remember holding my crombie collar as to protect my face, the train pulled off, The next station was Finsbury Park which is a long old drag. They mentioned they came from Chessington, never forgot that Forty odd years later,. Some of them started to smash the train up, I was shitting myself for the 4 or 5 minutes until we got into the station...which was wall to wall with Old Bill and Dogs, to me they was like the fcuking Cavalry, the Coppers tried to drag me and me mate off the train also, but i managed to persuade them to let us go as we was dressed to smart as to have been at the match.

Even to this day when ever i come across Londoners who support Man U i give them a load of abuse..cnuts,:D

8. circustavern777

circustavern777 Senior member

CES i loved the mention of jack ringo the tattooist, around 6 of us rode over there on our scooters would have been late 71 . we got there on a sat morning a bit early as he was shut so we parked up with all the headsets and fly screens facing the same way. and went to find a boozer , this by the way was his second shop which was an old ex cafe, not down by the ferry we was down the pub a bit longer and when we got back he was full up with greasers, proper ones , so in we go and like you say no agg in the shop, i can remember the stares as we were well out numbered . But we sat it out and got our tatts done , BUT when we left THEY ambushed us and did it go off it was a proper wild west turnout, i remember what started was the kicking over over a well nice vespa well i think thats what it was but its 40 plus years ago im sure ringo was going mental as it was right outside his shop. Was you from over that manor ringo is still tattooing but in sweden. Brownie lasttye ed if you or any of the guys fancy a night out at me boxing shows at the tavern or if i do have that bout in oct, your welcome my treat. i started training today so i will see how it goes,

9. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

yes, the Brooks "milano fit chinos" are very much staprest and not chinos in the traditional sense as they have a perma crease but the cloth is 100% cotton (no poly). If the Milano fit is too slim (it's not skinny, but a good slim fitting shape) they do have several wider fits of the same trouser. I dont know about UK, but in USA, Brooks has sales quite often, so if not in a hurry you could get for cheaper during such sale.

I do have a question......what was the dominant color palette back in original days? meaning, the current wave of traditional styled skinheads are all very much into bright colors (loud check shirts, colorful staprest like burgundy or sky blue, even sky blue harringtons etc). Were bright colors popular back then as well? or more muted solid colors/stripes without huge contrasts....?

BTW, am really enjoying reading the anecdotes from back in day. really great stuff and hopefully Paul is jotting these down for his tome!

10. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Haven`t been to the Tavern for years.Might take you up on that,A.Get Training for October.:)

11. circustavern777

The dagenham skins were a pretty tasty crew if i remember , i was invited over and we all met at martins corner, there youst to be twins in that firm they was a big crew , the fiddlers pubs now a morrisons but the coopers arms is still there any one remember the BARONS club in ilford a members only drinker

12. circustavern777

ok mate for me my sta prest were white , black which im wearing in that pic, and bottle green i think there was another brand called EVER PRESS but cant be certain perhaps the guys will know. i seem to remember a tonic with a pow check coming out but well into 1970 blue and green, and i remember like a dark red and blue/black tonic as well i did love a tonic mohair still do

13. circustavern777

thats a bit of skin history

14. circustavern777

you were in at ground zero mate ,seen the lot mate i read on another site that there were two types of mods the dandy wearing the regency style coats ect and the hard mod do you aggree

15. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

My first Harrington was Lemon.I did not wear the Brutus Checked Shirts but I believe they came in a few Checks.Tonik Mohair came out in a variety of Shades,my favourite being Champagne.