• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Somebody asked about the "Look" of `71(the end of).Gramps I think.
Here would have been my Wardrobe,for(about) that time:-

Hair Shoulder Length,but shortish on top.
Penny Collar Shirts - Plain and Patterned.
Tank Tops - Stripes and Plain.
Oxford Bags - Beige,Dark Brown,Bottle Green,Black,Striped Navy Blue and Checked Blue and Lighter Bue.
Two Tone Shoes mainly(one Pair was Beige and Dark Brown Patent Look).
Three Piece Suit(Off The Peg)-Brown Striped with wide Lapels.
Double Breasted Jackets.
Short Leather Bomber Jacket-shiny Leather
Long Haired Sheepskin
Long Length LeatherCoat - Bought from the "Lane" for £25.

No sign of Skinhead anywhere.:)

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The "Budgie" Look came in during that time(`71/`72)-with Suede and Leather Jackets.I had a Burgundy Suede one.

Gramps

Reaction score
Thanks Brownie.

So by the sounds of it, diferent Lads went off in different directions, fashion wise.

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i see a big do in brighton in june you been to any of the past ones there i think i may be to old looking at the young ens there is there any vintage dos

Their are Skinhead doos all over the Country throughout the year, The age group is around 18 to over 60, with a average age of mid Forties, Its also great to see so many Original Skinheads turning up at these doos.
The thing is one can sit at home and do fcuk all or get out there and have a great time with like minded people, Never give up thats what i say, you are a long time dead,

Their is a big Skinhead doo, Margate 6/7th July,

Skinhead reunion London Carnaby St 28th April.

May 19th York, Meet up with members from this thread.

Their is a Glam Rock night at UTJ Battersea Sat April 14th.

Just a few if anyone interested.:)

Last edited:

Charlie Endell

Reaction score
Brilliant thread - a mine of info. that I'm slowly making my way through. As recommended by Ed, Manchester.

Whilst I'm here, anyone know when Brighton Loafers were first worn? I was only born in '69 so memories of the era are a bit vague! Just about to order a pair.

circustavern777

Reaction score
you brought back some memorys brownie mate i can see them budgie jackets now zip fronted, big collar were they penny collar or both can seem to see contrasting reds and mauves browns and golds ect, what price would they have been im gonna take a punt £12

Pressure_Drop

Reaction score

you brought back some  memorys brownie mate i can see them budgie jackets now zip fronted, big collar were they penny collar or both can seem to see contrasting reds and mauves browns and golds ect, what price would they have been im gonna take a punt £12

Mine was chocolate brown and black suede, three quarter length with patch pockets - sounds hideous know but it was my pride and joy back then. Think I forked out about £20 which was a lot of money back then.

It must seem strange to these (younger?) lads who are trying hard to recreate the authentic skinhead look that at the tail end of '71 we couldn't wait to ditch our skinhead gear, in fact you wouldn't be seen dead in a button down check shirt or Sta-prest for fear of being thought of us past it and not cool - on my feet I wore a pair of blue metallic platform shoes with contrasting red stitching. I still had a pair of boots but they had been spray painted by then and only worn on the terraces. My favourite footwear was a white pair of Onitsuka Tiger basketball boots, surely the granddaddy of all the designer trainers?

Sadly no photos of that era - as someone else stated you just didn't carry cameras with you - shame as we had no idea at the time of what an important chapter of social history was being written.

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Mine was chocolate brown and black suede, three quarter length with patch pockets - sounds hideous know but it was my pride and joy back then. Think I forked out about £20 which was a lot of money back then.
It must seem strange to these (younger?) lads who are trying hard to recreate the authentic skinhead look that at the tail end of '71 we couldn't wait to ditch our skinhead gear, in fact you wouldn't be seen dead in a button down check shirt or Sta-prest for fear of being thought of us past it and not cool - on my feet I wore a pair of blue metallic platform shoes with contrasting red stitching. I still had a pair of boots but they had been spray painted by then and only worn on the terraces. My favourite footwear was a white pair of Onitsuka Tiger basketball boots, surely the granddaddy of all the designer trainers?
Sadly no photos of that era - as someone else stated you just didn't carry cameras with you - shame as we had no idea at the time of what an important chapter of social history was being written.

Our Skinhead cloths seemed to get ditched overnight... fcuking shame i have not got a clue what happened to all my kit, and at the time i did not care,

I had a couple of Budgie jackets one was also Maroon and Beige, The cloths just got from bad to worse, but as you say Chris we thought at the time we was the dogs bollocks, As the 70s went on we went from smart to the ridiculous.:D

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Their are Skinhead doos all over the Country throughout the year, The age group is around 18 to over 60, with a average age of mid Forties, Its also great to see so many Original Skinheads turning up at these doos.
The thing is one can sit at home and do fcuk all or get out there and have a great time with like minded people, Never give up thats what i say, you are a long time dead,
Their is a big Skinhead doo, Margate 6/7th July,
Skinhead reunion London Carnaby St 28th April.
May 19th York, Meet up with members from this thread.
Their is a Glam Rock night at UTJ Battersea Sat April 14th.
Just a few if anyone interested.:)

Was it a good one Roy?Maybe Margate....definitelyYork though!!!:)

circustavern777

Reaction score
pressure drop, you have great photos the one titled east end boys 1970 what part of the east end any idea , was london your area . regards mate

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you could say....we went from Skinheads to Circus Clowns(when you think the combinations we wore).:)

circustavern777

Reaction score
did you get involved in the bowie look i only had the hair still wore dms sometimes but i did have them mad platform shoes remember that shoe shop called shellys i remember buying a pair of midnight blue and silver from a shop down the hollaway rd sure they were around £9 think iwas on £7 a day on the demolition i thought they were dear but your right wore some mad stuff seeing how smart and clothes concious you was as a skin

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

did you get involved in the bowie look i only had the hair still wore dms sometimes but i did have them mad platform shoes remember that shoe shop called shellys i remember buying a pair of midnight blue and silver from a shop down the hollaway rd sure they were around £9 think iwas on £7 a day on the demolition  i thought they were dear but your right wore some mad stuff seeing how smart and clothes concious you was as a skin

Bowie had a massive influence on us, for a while lads was walking around with all sorts of colour streaks in their hair, Got me Platforms from Kensington market, you would order the style and colour and they would make them for you, took about four weeks,
Regarding earrings lads started to get them put in , it was either Bowie or David Essex that started the trend off, Me never to this day have I had any piecing, fcuk that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads