Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Aces and Eights

Aces and Eights Senior member

Hi Little Queenie Thank you for the welcome. What i am describing regarding the short sleeve Ben sherman shirt is shown in Buttons post with the yellow and blue shirt. Its that hem with the button and V that i recall

2. Aces and Eights

Hi and thanks for the welcome. What i was trying to describe has been picked up in Butttons photo of the yellow and blue check shirt detailing the short sleeve hem together with button and V as i recall

3. Aces and Eights

Well now you have got me thinking. Were my original shirts just a button with ½ inch hem that were halfway up the bicep and tight. Therefore the Ben Shermans that I had bought later say 20 years ago would have been looser, longer sleeve and with the V cut.

The disco lads were not skinheads but older lads that had seen an opening to earn some money. They did very well out of it

4. Brideshead

Brideshead Senior member

Welcome Aces and Eights. So many of your experiences seem very similar to my own, living close to London but on the norf side of the River.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012

5. kicksinstyle

kicksinstyle Well-Known Member

Welcome Aces & Eights!

On the subject of Ben Sherman short-sleeves, if they didn't have the 'V' with the button in the 60s, when did they start adding it?
    Robert Elms (not the most reliable of sources, I know) mentions it in his book when his mum alters his torn long-sleeve shirt. He even says they had to track down the exact button if I remember correctly.

6. Brideshead

Brideshead Senior member

And the footwear - Solatios?

7. Gramps

Gramps Senior member

Welcome to the Club Aces & Eights, look forward to your input.

8. Aces and Eights

Hi and thank you for the welcome. On seeing Buttons later post regarding Ben Sherman short sleeves he has now put doubt into my memories. I do like this attention to detail. I am now thinking his right and the V cut was on much later shirts. It really is a case that you can picture wearing some of your old favourite items over 40 years ago and your mind is now playing around with you !!

9. Aces and Eights

Well now you have got me thinking. Were my original shirts just a button with ½ inch hem that were halfway up the bicep and tight. Therefore the Ben Shermans that I had bought later say 20 years ago would have been looser, longer sleeve and with the V cut.

The disco lads were not skinheads but older lads that had seen an opening to earn some money. They did very well out of it

10. Brideshead

Brideshead Senior member

A & E a couple of points I wanted to pick up.

Girls and hair - a close friend of my girlfriend of mid 1969 had cropped dark hair but also wore a very convincing long dark wig on certain nights.

Smells - I will never forget the smell of denim back then and of the cloth at the tailors!

The smell of stale beer as you walked past an old pub mingled with tobacco and vomit - lovely. All gone now in our sterile world.

11. Aces and Eights

12. Aces and Eights

13. Aces and Eights

14. Shep

Shep Active Member

Great introduction/post

15. Aces and Eights