Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Most of the Black and White kids went to school with each other, And some friendships was more powerful than gang rivalry, But in general we just tolerated each other, at the end of the day people by and large wanted to hang around with their own. The Blacks would come in our clubs, but it was when they tried to pull White girls that caused problems, Back then like now their has always been White girls who liked Black Lads, these particular girls would go to Black clubs which was fair enough, But in our clubs the Girls did not like Black lads coming on to them, So it would cause aggro.
    Once trouble started people mostly sided in with their own, but it was complicated as i said I was loyal to my mates who happened to be Black, But at the same time I was involved in a Race War.
    Life back in the 50s/60s/70s was so different too now, Minorities had no real rights, and they knew and accepted it, You had to live through it to really understand it,

We use to get in a club in Golders Green NW London , One night the DJ said their was a load of Blacks waiting for us outside, most of the club was filled up with Kilburn Skinheads, But their was also other Skinhead Gang rivals in there that night. Rivalry was put aside and they all piled out, They just steamed into the Blacks, The Black lads just run, Skinheads chasing them down the road, Catching some of them and people was getting hurt, the Police was all over but allowed the Skinheads to get on with it, Plus the coppers was nicking the Black lads and leaving the Skinheads alone.

The thing back then Britain was a racist society, People then knew no different, But i do not think people as individuals was that racist, Once our little race war ended, One of the black lads who i was fighting only a couple of weeks before came to the Tottenham Royal with me one night, We got to the door and the fcuking Bouncers would not allow him in..Cnuts.. so we went Home.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012

2. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

It always gets written about Blacks v Whites.In the 60s I also witnessed tension between Black and Asian Youths.This does not get written about.I beileve Britain is still Rascist-but we are the only ones that get blamed(if you know what I mean).
    I have seen the White Women and Black Men from another perspective-and I can see why there was trouble between the two Groups,as Roy has said.In the 70s/80s I knocked about with a group of Blacks in East London.I saw how White Women literally threw themselves at them.The Blacks then thought every Women was available to them-but of course there were Girls that did not want to know.That is the same now as in the 60s.

3. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

double post,

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012

4. harrysgame

harrysgame Senior member

There is someone about these photos i don't like. They look like poofters. Jeans too tight and what with all the touching and stuff. Wrong!!! :uhoh:

5. harrysgame

harrysgame Senior member

These shoes were from 1972. Made in Kettering. The bloke who designed them still works for NPS in Wollaston Northants where they still make the Solovair boots to this day.

6. Brideshead

Brideshead Senior member

Yeah, I'm thinking about a slimmer, more Italian style shoe that was popular with my mates before we got into Royals. I cannot really remember when they first became popular but I would say late 1967 / early 1968.

I have a pair of Church's Italian made very Prada-esque ankle boots that are close to the look of the Solatio I have in mind (at least around the front apron) - here:

[​IMG]

7. Shep

Shep Active Member

Definately queers,always thought those pictures were too posed aswell as the obviously too tight jeans.

8. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

I think the most ironic thing is some gays adopting the Skinhead look, i mean Rolling Queers was a 60s Skinhead past time. I was down the Margate Doo a few years ago people was driving past shouting out Poofs or Racist,:D

9. Gramps

Gramps Senior member

Its such a bomb shell that second pic tbh, and sort of re-writing (once again) what we originally thought, the picture clearly dates to 1970 at the very latest and if im not mistaken its the Capital too.

Strange.......

10. PxC

PxC Active Member

I've always thought these pics looked like something made specially for a fetish magazine of some sort. Like they hired a bunch of guys who dressed skinhead and paid them some money to pose for them like this.

Couldn't they be from later, late 70's maybe? I mean in the early days of the revival they looked a bit more like the originals than, say, 1981 Oi! skins.

11. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Surly thats not 70, :confused:

12. Gramps

Gramps Senior member

Judging by the clobber, right down to the jewellery Id ay it was original, along with the Black Kids in the Background.

Im sure theres more on here, far more educated than me in these matters though, who can shed more light on it.

Ill have to sift through my collection of pics and find the full set of 3 (now 4 unfortunately) to see if theres any more clues, but Ive always had it down as original (as have most of my mates).

Im still trying to convince myself that the "new" pic is a few mates taking the piss, but I doubt it. Dont think mates kidded about like that back then.

13. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

I think they are 'of the time'... and my mates and I would never have 'mucked about' like that. (In those days, you had every chance of taking your face home in a hankie for less.)

Pity... otherwise great pics of the clobber.

14. Gramps

Gramps Senior member

Yeah Ed, times have changed a bit.

Not as much need for the Male Bravdo anymore, as back then. Funny really as its probably need more nowadays.

Feel so Dirty now, all the years, weve all discussed their Bollocks.......... urghhhhhh.

15. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Back then People was more Homophobic than they was Racist, The reason as you said Gramps Skinheads would not fcuk about like that, Also looking at the actual photo it looks Professionally done, and staged managed.