Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Pressure_Drop

Pressure_Drop Senior member

One thing we take for granted now and might seem like bleeding obvious is the abundant amount of knowledge that is around these days e.g. this very forum.

I say this because back then a lot of the knowledge regarding skinhead fashion (or any kind of street culture) was either word of mouth or what you just gleaned on the streets/terraces, that's why we can all remember the newspaper reports from back then - because we all cut them out and stuck them on our walls. It was the same with music, you never heard reggae on the radio apart from the stuff that was already in the charts - the rest, well youth clubs, record shops and again word of mouth sufficed. I remember having a double page spread from The Times I think, featuring reggae music - it was a sort of expose for Times readers - an explanation/history of the music - seems bizarre now when you think of it.

Of course London was the mecca for our world, so whenever we played London clubs we would study what they were wearing - sometimes, just sometimes we would even get into conversations from visiting mobs regarding clothing and the like and it was certainly noticeable how the skinhead fashion varied around the country. It was definitely true that skinheads or variations of skinhead culture/fashion was still alive and kicking in the north of the country much later after it had died out in the south.

The much vaunted Doctor Marten's only started appearing after the police declared steel toe-capped boots to be an offensive weapon, up until that time black ex Army or industrial boots were the norm in Bristol - especially the industrial variety because we had a large boot factory (GB Brittons) in Kingswood, so many, many lads first boots were tan coloured 'Tuf' boots - I can hear you all guffaw now!

A lot of us also wore black berets - I remember seeing Midlands/Northern lads also wearing these but don't recall any Cockneys?

Anyway I've sidetracked - what I was going to mention was the use of the word 'Rudeboy' - we knew of the term from Prince Buster/Derrick Morgan/Desmond Dekker records but didn't have a clue really what Rude boys or Rudies (as in Freddie Notes and the Rudies) were, coming as we did from a white, working class council estate on the fringes of the city. So when a mate of ours told us that there was a West Indian family living in Southmead called Rudies we surmised that 'Rudies' or 'Rude' was in fact a well-known Jamaican surname and that Rude boys were in fact a notorious family in Jamaica, a bit like the London Irish Hoolihan family who gave us the moniker of 'Hooligan' - like I said, seems obvious now, but to 15 year old Bristolian white boys seemed peerfectly plausible back then :satisfied:

2. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

This was taken Two Years ago at Scorcher, This lad was a original Brummie Rudie. Roy's a bit pissed well it was 2am, :D

[​IMG]

3. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Nice post Chris, :)

4. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

The Kilburn Mob was made up of Black and White Lads, My best mate at School..a Black Lad was Lloyd Mentor,RIP, we both used to go to Judo together in the mid 60s, he was always better than me ..and went on to become a 5th Dan, Lloyd use to work in a Cloths shop on Willesden Lane.. after school and Saturdays, He got me into Skinhead cloths, Lloyd had a Cousin Lenny V, He was a wild Rudie, and about the best dressed bloke in Kilburn and feared,

When we had a fall out with the Blacks, and was at War for a few months, My mate Lloyd kept out of it..also another of my Black mates Ollie a African lad who lived next door to me, Lloyds Cousin.Lenny, also kept out of it , not that he was worried, He was just one of these individuals, who was his own man.

One night we was walking down Kilburn High Road.. Along the High Street. was a Machine Arcade, Outside was a Black Lad.. everyone steamed over to have a go at him, It was my mate Ollie, I just stood with him, He was my School mate and lived next door to me.., Some of the Lads started to turn on Me, But i was not having it. Me and Ollie just walked home.

Lloyd died of a Brain Haemorrhage aged 42.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012

5. Little Queenie

Little Queenie Senior member

Agreed.... stomach churning.

6. Little Queenie

I had heard rumours about that set of photos (there are about 4 in total) from years ago saying that they were homosexuals. Anyone know who took them, when, where and, most importantly WHY?

7. Pressure_Drop

Did someone mention on here Skinhead footballers? Think there was some reference to Charlie George being one (thought everyone knew that to be honest?)

Our very own boot boy was Frankie Prince, a little tough nut of a midfielder from South Wales who sported a very cropped haircut from 1968 and yep wore the full regalia off of the field (he would look a bit daft wearing braces on the field I guess). This photo shows him back row, third from the right - next to Larry Lloyd incidentally who went on to play for Liverpool and England.

There is another photo of him which I've got somewhere of the following season with a really neat suedehead cut, I'll try and find that. The lad sat down on the far right was Peter Higgins who was also a stylish local lad but more of a mod than a skin.

[​IMG]

8. Pressure_Drop

To be honest this photo is giving me nightmares - can it be removed?

9. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

They would not have lasted 2 minutes around 60s Skinheads.

10. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

They would not have lasted 2 minutes around 60s Skinheads.

11. Little Queenie

Seconded!

12. loempiavreter

loempiavreter Senior member

Great story, Roy.

13. Brideshead

Brideshead Senior member

If I may return to another part of the anatomy - feet - and the elusive Salatio, what did you originals wear on your feet before Royals became big and when not dressed for bovver? I am clearly wrong in assuming Solatios were universally popular.

14. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

My favourites... a pair of 'not quite' loafers, some (okay, just the two) suede shoes and dessie boots. (The 'evolution' thing.) :satisfied:

Obviously tennis shoes of some sort - possibly Dunlop.

15. BraveSuede

BraveSuede Member

Hi all been away for a bit and just caught the thread back up.The shoe i reconise as a solatio is 102-104 in the picture.A kid at school had a all black pair of the 102 style in 1972-73.We use to joke that it looked like a elephant had trode on them.101 and 107 being norwegians all the styles were in east london a smoovie's shoe.(noticed i said in east london diplomatic aint i?).
    [​IMG]