1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. soundsnpressure

soundsnpressure Senior member

I was talking to an original 1980's skinhead last night. He told me to wear leather laces in my Mikkel Rude solovair boots. He said this was really common in the 80's and made the boots look great.

I've never seen leather laces in Dm's,solovair boots.

Has anyone else heard of this?

2. Aces and Eights

Aces and Eights Senior member

As kids in the 60s your mum made you wear a vest due the cold English weather to stop you getting a cold (not knowing that they were viral back then). When you left school at 15 and were able to buy your own clobber you ditched the vest to prove you were manly. The skinhead period dress allowed for acceptable wearing of certain jumpers and cardigans plus we had a great selection of winter outer wear. But generally vests were not worn or Tee shirts. White tee shirts were worn by Greasers so would not be worn by us

3. flyfronted

flyfronted Senior member

Never heard of a original skinhead from the 80's and leather laces in boots would be just wrong . On Brogues / Smooths etc yes .

4. soundsnpressure

soundsnpressure Senior member

Yes. i think your right.

Sounds a bit 'fetishy' all that leather on leather [​IMG]

5. Botolph

Botolph Senior member

Dynamite. Thanks for the insight and explanation, gents.
    I wear an v-neck undershirt even under polos, as the New England summers are brutal and humid, and with my Northern European blood, I sweat at the sight of sun... so the undershirts have a two-fold purpose: 1.keeps me from looking soggy in the summer and 2.provides me with an extra layer of warmth in the harsh New England winters(gets down to -30 degrees here).

6. Darksideoftheforce

Darksideoftheforce Well-Known Member

One thing about undershirts is yes they look unsightly under a button down, but this is fixed with a V neck undershirt.I've never known anyone to wear one with a tennis shirt. But in the summer months excessive sweating can ruin an otherwise fine button down polly cotton with unsightly sweat under the arms and the back, so sometimes an undershirt is a necessary evil with them

7. Botolph

Botolph Senior member

Bang-on. Light-colored tennis shirts get sweated through by yours truly at noachian rates, so needs mustwith the v-neck undershirt.

8. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

Heavy cotton-type stuff...
    'We' wouldn't have worn them. :nodding:

9. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

I like houndstooth - they look firkin' brilliant BTW - Unfortunately, no good for those of us wiv a fuller figure."

But thanks for making a fattie feel fatter! :D

10. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

You are a fine Specimen,Ed!!!:)

The Jackets were not too heavy Cotton.Funny,I thought they were more widespread.

11. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

12. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

We get bloody cut-off in Lincolnshire.That reminds me,get the Supplies in !!!:)

13. Darksideoftheforce

Darksideoftheforce Well-Known Member

Brownie, I suppose the dm brogue shoes are nice, but personally I prefer long wing shoes with leather soles and no yellow stichings. The latter just defeats the purpose of wearing smart dress shoes imo. The yellow stichings just reminds me of a pair of boots for kicking around in. I personally prefer either loake royals or a pair of floresheim kenmoors. Floresheims are much more affordable though, and they do make decent classic long wings.

What does everyone think of the solovair brogue stable boots btw?

And does anyone own a pair of these? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ikon-Originals-Toe-Cap-Skinhead-Mod-Brogue-Shoes-Ox-Blood-/370662842759

14. bunty

bunty Senior member

Can anyone please post that photo, from Margate '70 I think, of the lads kicking over some motorbikes outside what looks like a guest house? I'm buggered if I can find it anywhere. We just want to inspect the main perpetrator's strides. Ta.

15. Lerk

Lerk Well-Known Member

Got my Solovairs this weekend, really nice! Thanks for the tip.

16. captainfalcon

captainfalcon Senior member

Do you guys think it's worth paying the extra money for solovairs over docs?

17. Ivyskin89

Ivyskin89 Senior member

18. albion

albion Well-Known Member

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  19. Lerk

Lerk Well-Known Member

I just got mine, so i cant say anything about long term durability, but they seem very well built, thick in a way. Plus; they look beautiful.