• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Ed Vaughan

Reaction score

On the subject of odd jackets with trousers, yes that was a short-lived thing for us. I didn't really do that but a friend of mine had a lovely Ivy summer weight madras jacket he wore with trousers or jeans. I remember one evening in Clacton three of us were going out for the night, two in suits and one in the aforementioned jacket, so he had to walk in the middle - for symmetry if you see what I mean!
On the subject of the evolution around 1967 / 68 as brownie says the look had not crystalised but we were not scruffy. Far from it. That was arguably a smarter time than what came a bit later.

I know I've put this up before (it's all I have from the period). But it shows that then, in the early summer of 1967 when I was not yet 15, how important the haircut was already and the clothes - although not skinhead as such - included navy self herringbone suit MTM from Burton, M&S navy botany wool V, striped tie and probably Solatios. When not posing with my mum and dad I would have worn Wrangler cream colour needlecord jacket, Levis and Clarks dessies in that era. It is tempting to want to put up almost any pic from the period and try to make a connection with the thread. I do understand as 'genuine' images are like hen's teef.

Blimey, I remember the Wrangler cord jackets, had a 'chocolate brown' one...but they were never, ever, to be worn with matching cord pants... wayyyyy too man at C&A!!!

Had a mate that wore the tan Levi cord jacket and jeans... phenomenal piss-take. (He became a (late) hippy, complete with neckerchief and really bad, bell-bottomed :wow: Levi's.)

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score

!!!!!! oh my lordy

thanks for posting those spiller, had not seen that 2nd image. tho knowing what we know now with all the splinter groups of skinheads, that photo looks like it's embracing "skinhead brotherhood" a bit too closely :embar:

Last edited:

ek77

Reaction score
here´s a pic of a young steve tannett from 1970...
some maybe remember him as the guitarplayer of the uk punk band MENACE, that influenced a lot of uk oi! bands.... he´s a real nice guy and i just told him to check this thread...
hopefully he find some time to share his views about the past with us too...

steve in 1970

steve in 1977

steve in 2012 (with menace drummer noel and me)

Big Muscle

Reaction score

Skinheads in Coventry shopping precinct. 4th October 1969

The guy in the front - braces over jumper (as there was discussion about this some time ago). And the braces are clipped in a weird way - almost above the jeans button.

Brideshead

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Solatios came out late 69/early 70-not the Norwegian Style(that came out later).There was a Basket Weave but they were more Mod.

I had some a little earlier - from a shop called Mintz and Davis (in Romford and Chelmsford). The earlier ones were very smooth and with high quality leather - possibly made in Kettering.. Finding pics is almost impossible but this thread on FNB contains one from 1970 that seems to reveal them.

http://forums.filmnoirbuff.com/viewtopic.php?pid=105088#p105088 - post #92.

I had a pair of brown plain apron fronted shoes and, later in 1970 a black pair from a shop in East Ham with a woven vamp.

Perhaps more mod. But see my link in post #90 to retrowow and the ref to 'light' Solatios.

Last edited:

bunty

Reaction score

Original caption read -'Blimey, they look like hard nuts'

No wonder the other photo is more well known.....:D

Great pics thanks.

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I had some a little earlier - from a shop called Mintz and Davis (in Romford and Chelmsford). The earlier ones were very smooth and with high quality leather - possibly made in Kettering.. Finding pics is almost impossible but this thread on FNB contains one from 1970 that seems to reveal them.
http://forums.filmnoirbuff.com/viewtopic.php?pid=105088#p105088 - post #92.
I had a pair of brown plain apron fronted shoes and, later in 1970 a black pair from a shop in East Ham with a woven vamp.
Perhaps more mod. But see my link in post #90 to retrowow and the ref to 'light' Solatios.

Yes I remember them,but cannot remember them being called Solatios though-these were definetly the more(Italian)Style.:)

Ed Vaughan

Reaction score

That is a worrying looking couple of pics, also Jeans are a bit tight, :D,:D.

Definitely verging on the '****-erotic', IMHO. (Or perhaps it's me, discovering a side I never knew I had?) :eek:

I googled 'gay skinhead' - I know, how am I to explain that to the missus??? - and the one of the pics turned up here:
http://www.revleft.com/vb/skinheads-t99933/index.html?p=2353158

So, pretty inconclusive?

WARNING!!! (This could prove to be a dodgy site if you're at work .) WARNING!!!

Last edited:

Gramps

Reaction score
I have seen the top pic (renowned for the size of their Bollocks, I mean, the jeans are even faded around them), also seen 2 (maybe3) other pics from the same day,
one outside a pub, one outside a chipshop, but never the bottom one, wish i still hadnt tbh :p

Ooooooh they are awful!!!!!

Last edited:

bunty

Reaction score

I have seen the top pic (renowned for the size of their Bollocks, I mean, the jeans are even faded around them), also seen 2 (maybe3) other pics from the same day,
 one outside a pub, one outside a chipshop, but never the bottom one, wish i still hadnt tbh :p

Ooooooh they are awful!!!!!

Re Testicles.

I noticed that but I, unlike those lads and you Gramps, didn't have the balls to say it :D

Loads of great partings here. The two fellas behind the lad with the leather, can anyone make out the shoes? Tall one with roll neck and lad to his right? Also braces over a roll neck is that?

Gramps

Reaction score
The Packets on them lads has been righfully respected ever since the picture first surfaced in the 90's.

I alwasy said, it seemed somehow homoerotic, appears I was right.

Nice Clobber though, (even down to the watch ;)) few bobs worth in todays money.

Re Testicles.
I noticed that but I, unlike those lads and you Gramps, didn't have the balls to say it
biggrin.gif

Last edited:

Pressure_Drop

Reaction score

Just to add. If London Rudeboy (i always thought Rudeboys were black. lol) is correct and there were Skinhead Gangs around London in 1974 then it will change the whole course of Skinhead History as we know it. So hold that book. :rolleyes:

One thing we take for granted now and might seem like bleeding obvious is the abundant amount of knowledge that is around these days e.g. this very forum.

I say this because back then a lot of the knowledge regarding skinhead fashion (or any kind of street culture) was either word of mouth or what you just gleaned on the streets/terraces, that's why we can all remember the newspaper reports from back then - because we all cut them out and stuck them on our walls. It was the same with music, you never heard reggae on the radio apart from the stuff that was already in the charts - the rest, well youth clubs, record shops and again word of mouth sufficed. I remember having a double page spread from The Times I think, featuring reggae music - it was a sort of expose for Times readers - an explanation/history of the music - seems bizarre now when you think of it.

Of course London was the mecca for our world, so whenever we played London clubs we would study what they were wearing - sometimes, just sometimes we would even get into conversations from visiting mobs regarding clothing and the like and it was certainly noticeable how the skinhead fashion varied around the country. It was definitely true that skinheads or variations of skinhead culture/fashion was still alive and kicking in the north of the country much later after it had died out in the south.

The much vaunted Doctor Marten's only started appearing after the police declared steel toe-capped boots to be an offensive weapon, up until that time black ex Army or industrial boots were the norm in Bristol - especially the industrial variety because we had a large boot factory (GB Brittons) in Kingswood, so many, many lads first boots were tan coloured 'Tuf' boots - I can hear you all guffaw now!

A lot of us also wore black berets - I remember seeing Midlands/Northern lads also wearing these but don't recall any Cockneys?

Anyway I've sidetracked - what I was going to mention was the use of the word 'Rudeboy' - we knew of the term from Prince Buster/Derrick Morgan/Desmond Dekker records but didn't have a clue really what Rude boys or Rudies (as in Freddie Notes and the Rudies) were, coming as we did from a white, working class council estate on the fringes of the city. So when a mate of ours told us that there was a West Indian family living in Southmead called Rudies we surmised that 'Rudies' or 'Rude' was in fact a well-known Jamaican surname and that Rude boys were in fact a notorious family in Jamaica, a bit like the London Irish Hoolihan family who gave us the moniker of 'Hooligan' - like I said, seems obvious now, but to 15 year old Bristolian white boys seemed peerfectly plausible back then :satisfied:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads