• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The above pic, what is it to do with Traditional Skinheads? They look like a load of students, i assume Man Utd fans from the1968 European Cup Final.
What the the point of the pic.:confused:

Last edited:

Ed Vaughan

Reaction score

The above pic, what is it to do with Traditional Skinheads? They look like a load of students, i assume Man Utd fans from the1968 European Cup Final.
What the the point of the pic.:confused:

... and I'm guessing their demeanor is because they didn't get a ticket - as opposed to having lost a game.

But you're right... not really skinhead-related...unless the poster was looking to score points, somehow?

Maybe he'll let us know. :nodding:

bunty

Reaction score
I think Paint House Gang is drawing our attention to the lad with the infamous donkey jacket, neat barnet and turn-ups, which is an early ('68) Skinhead look?

We are trying to find more material to discuss eh chaps? It's getting harder to find anything new. Don't shoot the poor bugger down.(You've all gotta go some to beat the unrelated crap that I post on here :D)

Last edited:

loempiavreter

Reaction score
Their shoes are weird in that picture of the Man U fans... The soles are really thin... Suede shoe with brogue pattern on the right? Looks like shoes the current hipsters would wear.

Question to the originals, Blazers or just suit jackets... would you see something like a POW or windowpane patterned jackets or blazers like those Ivy kids would wear (combined with smart slacks like a pair of white sta prest)? Or did that style went down with the demise of the mods?

EDIT:
Found the awnser myself, then I rephrase the question as how widespread this look was:

On the right, one of the kids whose following Danny "Eccles" Arkins from the Man Alive docu, also with that top button undone + tie combi

Also coming back to Adam Ant/Stuart Goddard piece from his book, where he describe sticking a penny in the nape of his Loafers (and if you where fancy, an american penny). Quite ivy, anyone remember doing this?

Last edited:

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Their shoes are weird in that picture of the Man U fans... The soles are really thin... Suede shoe with brogue pattern on the right? Looks like shoes the current hipsters would wear.
Question to the originals, Blazers or just suit jackets... would you see something like a POW or windowpane patterned jackets or blazers like those Ivy kids would wear (combined with smart slacks like a pair of white sta prest)? Or did that style went down with the demise of the mods?
EDIT:
Found the awnser myself, then I revert it to how widespread this look was:
On the right one of the kids whose following Danny "Eccles" Arkins from the Man Alive docu, also with that top button undone + tie combi

Also coming back to Adam Ant/Stuart Goddard piece from his book, where he describe sticking a penny in the nape of his Loafers (and if you where fancy, an american penny). Quite ivy, anyone remember doing this?

Interesting pic as the Lad in the Check jacket and tie looks like my Mate Bill O Marney,RIP, Bill was a well known Chelsea Shed boy from Kilburn.
If you look at the clip of the Kilburn Phoenix Youth club TV Documentary you will see Bill in that also.

Last edited:

Ed Vaughan

Reaction score

I think Paint House Gang is drawing our attention to the lad with the infamous donkey jacket, neat barnet and turn-ups, which is an early ('68) Skinhead look?
We are trying to find more material to discuss eh chaps? It's getting harder to find anything new. Don't shoot the poor bugger down.(You've all gotta go some to beat the unrelated crap that I post on here :D)

I'm certainly not trying to 'shoot anyone' down, as I've posted a few pics (on my short time on the forum) that had already been posted. :embar:

And, as a 'United' fan, I'm used to everyone 'hating' us. :D

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When you look at these old pics of originals their will alway be someone who wears something thats not the norm, The lad with the check jacket may well be Bill, Bill was a couple of Years older than most of us, and you would find the older lads would often wear some none skinhead clobber, I mean they would not wear Boots and Braces thats for certain, :)

Last edited:

Ed Vaughan

Reaction score

Interesting pic as the Lad in the Check jacket and tie looks like my Mate Bill O Marney,RIP, Bill was a well known Chelsea Shed boy from Kilburn.
If you look at the clip of the Kilburn Phoenix Youth club TV Documentary you will see Bill in that also.

EDIT:
Found the awnser myself, then I rephrase the question as how widespread this look was:
On the right, one of the kids whose following Danny "Eccles" Arkins from the Man Alive docu, also with that top button undone + tie combi

I'd wear a pair of cream, Sta-prest (and Royals) with my blazer - used to think I looked rather neat. :happy:

(I searched for ever to buy a 'gold' thread badge for the pocket - MUFC, of course :) - and when I finally tracked one down... my lot had gone off blazers and the summer had gone.) :brick:

Yankee

Reaction score
No disrespect here but we are going backwards, People are posting pics and video clips that have been posted before so we are going over old ground....New members please read the whole thread first. Which may take some time,
biggrin.gif
But it will save going over subjects that have already been covered.
smile.gif

I had seen the stuff about Sharpies earlier in this thread, but always pictures of them with mullets and striped tops, not with trimmed hair and checked button downs, and not this video about them vs mods...

Hopefully this one hasn't come up before. Did skinhead girls start dressing more like the boys over time? Or were some of them always this "butch?"

"Saturday afternoon outside Chelsea Football Club in London, 1970. Fans gather and wait to be let into the stands for a match against Queens Park Rangers. Three young girls with boys. Three young girls dressed in the fashion of the time as 'Bovver Birds' wear clothes that mimic boys' attire: high-waisted trousers, shirts and braces."

Larger picture:
http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/n...a-football-club-in-london-news-photo/72449177

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Roy,would your Mate have worn Badges on hie Jacket like that?

bunty,that was a thin reference(the Paint House Picture).I agree with Roy.Even though it is in the North,I think the Geezer with the Donkey Jacket-looks nothing like early Skinhead.Do not forget Council Workmen wore it(or Students trying to looking Working Class).The Turn-ups would be a late 50s/early 60s attempt.I know Photos are getting harder to come by,but please don`t put up anything-just because it is 60s. We put a lot of effort into our "Look",so don`t put us on par with fcking scruffy Students!!!Iknow you were a Student,M-o-M but you put ,more effort into what you wore.:stirpot:

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

bunty,that was a thin reference(the Paint House Picture).I agree with Roy.Even though it is in the North,I think the Geezer with the Donkey Jacket-looks nothing like early Skinhead.Do not forget Council Workmen wore it(or Students trying to looking Working Class).The Turn-ups would be a late 50s/early 60s attempt.I know Photos are getting harder to come by,but please don`t put up anything-just because it is 60s. We put a lot of effort into our "Look",so don`t put us on par with fcking scruffy Students!!!Iknow you were a Student,M-o-M but you put ,more effort into what you wore.:stirpot:

Ed Vaughan

Reaction score

It HAS to be the '68 European Cup Final (United V Benfica) and, the only people I can (vaguely) remember dressing like that were, non-aligned youngsters (neither one thing, nor other) and blokes who'd just finished work on the docks.

The fella on the right, even appears to be wearing a 'combat jacket' (ripped?) and none of them would have got into places I frequented dressed like that. (And they weren't that fussy!) :D

It's most definitely a 'posed shot' by a journo, looking to get the point of: 'Poor us, we've come all this way - and no tickets'. (Been there, done that.) :nodding:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads