1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Pressure_Drop

Pressure_Drop Senior member

Actually it might have been Keedons I bought it, either way it wasn't a proper job but a cheapo version all us young 'uns wore (couldn't afford the real deal) as in that reggae album cover.

Anyway talking of hankies, I had a nice check Brutus, sort of brown, red and orange (I know it sounds hideous but it was one of the better ones) - it was long sleeve, in fact most of the shirts were long sleeved back then, we obviously rolled up the sleeves and there were short sleeve versions out I just never owned one. Anyway the sleeves eventually wore out on the elbow and rather than chuck it out I got our mum to turn it into a short sleeved version complete with the 'v' cut into it and the little buttons either side.

Of course the sleeves didn't get chucked out either, our mum then turned them into hankies so when I went out in my Crombie or Barrathea I had a matching shirt and hanky - pretty unique if I recall, mates were well jealous.

2. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

Ah, mums, as Roy mentioned, many pages back, where would we have been without them. :embar:

Scruffy bastarts - that's where!!! :nodding:

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  3. harrysgame

harrysgame Senior member

That green suit is the bollocks Will. Nice one.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  4. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

Anyone from back in the day ever hear of a firm called 'The Hounslow Reds'?

Mrs Mystery sprung this on me over fish & chips this evening. She suddenly remembered her best friend's cousin visiting in 1969. The cousin was a West London teenager with a short hairstyle and a bag full of boys' Ben Shermans. The cousin's name was Yvonne, and she had money for clothes because her parents ran a chain of fish & chip shops in London. Apparently she claimed to have a boyfriend who was in a skinhead firm called 'The Hounslow Reds'.

Does that ring any bells?

There might be more info from Mrs Mystery after she next talks to her friend.

5. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

I wonder if they supported Arsenal-being in West London.:slayer:

6. Pressure_Drop

Pressure_Drop Senior member

Apologies if this has been posted before, photo from QPR v Millwall game 1967, love the look of the main lad squaring up to the rozzer.[​IMG]

7. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Read a bit from "Nobody Likes Us....",regarding Millwall.The Guy that wrote it reckons their Fans were the first to carry "Cut throats" to Matches-in `64.The rest of the Book you can take,with a pinch of salt(especially when he writes about their battles with West Ham).They have never been the most welcoming of Football Fans :).Went to "Cold Blow Lane" once....what a dump!!!

8. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

What I liked about Buttons`,Mr Twist Tags` or Bassetts`Suits was,they looked like they fitted.That is something that I cannot get my Head around-why wear a Suit that looks 2 Sizes too small aka Alexei Sayle.If you get my drift.:)

9. buttons

buttons Senior member

That green suit is the bollocks Will. Nice one.[

Cheers Harry. Early '69 turquoise two tone mohair by Rosemans.

10. Man-of-Mystery

The thought had crossed my mind.

11. Man-of-Mystery

Have you seen the size of Alexei Sayle these days? :butbut:

12. McDermott

McDermott Well-Known Member

Slightly off topic but....

This '60's' fitted suit has sadly been taken on by the highstreet and by shit companies and done of course, very very badly. This now means we have people with too much money and who think they have a sense of style getting suits that just dont fit. I was watching TV last night and rudetube came on, presented by this Twat....
    [​IMG]
    Difference bewteen a suit that is too tight and small, or too large and big and slim 'tailored' which is where it should be as proved in other photos. I mean, Alex Zane can afford a decent tailor come on. Get it fixed. A friend called me up the other day, so starting work for Pal zileri fingers crossed soon but the amount of people who dont know how a jacket should fit nowadays is staggering, having to explain proper length etc. Some of the requests as well, if your paying 2 and half grand for a three piece made to measure what would you ask for gents ? one guy '' I want a navy'' (ok so far so good) ''Three piece'' (nice nice) ''and i want these light brown buttons'' (no..wait..what?) ''And this. The most horrible grey mucky lining possible. Thatll look nice'' (it wont and it didnt).
    Its hard be a snob sometimes.

Rant over and back on topic.

13. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

I think the problem is,that todays "People" have got not a clue-when it comes to Fashion Disasters.Hey! if it costs a lot,it must be good!!!To go to a Tailor was something you did not take lightly.He could make you look really good or a bag of shite! :)

14. harrysgame

harrysgame Senior member

Totally agree, nothing worse than someone wearing a suit, or any other item of clothing for that matter if it doesn't fit correctly. You see so many people at do's these days with crombies' that the sleeves are too long. Take them to the tailor and get them done. Same with suits if they are off the peg, which i doubt Wills are, Get them sorted out. I have bought off the peg suits, but have to take them to the tailors to get them taken up on the sleeves correctly, as even a short fitting suit of crombie is too long in the arms.

I appreciate not everyone can afford bespoke or made to measure suits, but theres no excuse for not getting them adjusted to fit right.

15. Lerk

Lerk Well-Known Member

Anyone here know anything about NN07 jeans? They're supposed to be selvadge denim jeans, any good? Any models that look about right and doesn't show half of Belgian Congo?

16. Lerk

Lerk Well-Known Member

Bought some cheap every day shoes
    [​IMG]

17. Man-of-Mystery

I can recall going to a tailor back in the day and refusing to take a jacket he had made for me because the fit was wrong. In fact I was bloody irate.

(I loathe the modern two-button bum-freezer suits, by the way. I wouldn't be seen in one in my coffin!)

18. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

I was pretty lucky.I got "Measured Up" the first time,and as we went along,the Size more or less stayed the same.In those days I did not eat so much(or I did not seem to).The Tailor would always check the Waist.I did hear some horror Stories-and where I could,I would recommend mine.I think today Style has gone out of the Window.

19. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

Hellish - and I can't see one without seeing that tall, posh kid actor/stand-up in one.

Jack Whitehall?

20. Lerk

Lerk Well-Known Member

I'll have you know that on your recommendation, i've ordered a pair of Cherry red Solovair 8 eyelets. And in anticipation of their arrival, whats the best way to treat and service those boots to ensure nice looks and long life? Is black polish on cherry, every now and then, a good look? Any special polish to be used? I figure i might stock up before they arrive, if needed.