Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. PxC

PxC Active Member

It's actually from early 1976. It's pre-punk, as punk only came along later that year, so I suppose it wouldn't be that different from what would be going on in 74...
    Underneath it says:
    Teenagers – February 1976

I took this photograph in February 1976. On the left is my sister Debbie, in the middle is her friend Janet and on the right is my friend Chris, who is dressed in freshly polished Dr Marten boots and a Ben Sherman shirt.
    [​IMG] photo by Paul Wright

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/6669113599/in/photostream/

There are other interesting pics of mid 70's bootboys on this guy's flickr page. It's the same guy who took that pic of the silver Dr. Martens wearing football suporter.
    Notice I said "interesting", not good looking in any way.

2. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

3. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Where do they come from PxC ?

4. PxC

PxC Active Member

This "Paul Wright" fella from the flickr thing I linked took them all in London I suppose. That's what it says at least.

5. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

,:D,:D,:D,:D.

6. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Roy,did you see anyone dressed like that(in London?),because I cannot say I did.

Ed,that is a diabolical Photo,of the Stretford End Boys-they look like Farm Labourers!!:D

7. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

No fcuking way are they Londoners Colin, If you went up the Kings Road Chelsea in 76 you would have seen Punk Rockers all over the Place, :D

8. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

I see he has a Newspaper Cutting of Chelsea v Leeds in `72(in Flickr).Do not remember seeing Youngsters dressing like that(mixing Ben Shermans etc.in `76).Thought it was Patterned Shirts.:)

9. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Coomputer playing up tonight-sorry if I have repeated myself :)

10. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

and my spelling as well!!!!!!:slayer:

11. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

The trouble with photos they do not tell the whole story, Try too get a checked Ben Sherman in 76 London.. you would have had trouble finding one, in saying that their was a shop in The Aldwych that sold Bennie,s well into the 90s, However no LondonTeenager would wear one in 76, unless they just came out of Prison after Six years stretch,:D

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012

12. harrysgame

harrysgame Senior member

I have spoken to loads of original London Skinheads through the years and the common thought is that after 1971 tops there were no Skinheads left in London, most would say 1970. Unless you are including Suedehead and Bootboy ect into the mix. But these wern't Skinheads. Id be interested in seeing some pictures of you in 1974 to see what you class as Skinhead.
    If it was just you who was a Skinhead still i could maybe understand it. But you say there were different gangs of Skinheads still around in 1974. Unusual how there is absolutely no photographic evidence to support your claims. By 1974, Skinheads were just a distant memory in London, little if any Skinhead clothing was being worn at all by then.

Like i said it was different in different parts of the country. But unless i see evidence id find it hard to believe your claims of Skinheads in London in 1974.

So how about you support what your saying with some photographic evidence. Has anyone ever seen a photograph of a Skinhead in London in 1974? Anyone got a photograph to support these claims? I doubt it very much.

You are only one year older than me by the way, my family was from London. I have been a Skinhead for over 30 years and believe me i know my Skinhead history.

13. harrysgame

harrysgame Senior member

Just to add. If London Rudeboy (i always thought Rudeboys were black. lol) is correct and there were Skinhead Gangs around London in 1974 then it will change the whole course of Skinhead History as we know it. So hold that book. :rolleyes:

14. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

Dire, isn't it? :embar:

Apologies for all the other 'off-topic' pics on the link, I couldn't pull the relevant ones from Flickr. :brick:

15. Brideshead

Brideshead Senior member

It is dire and so are some of the comments from the fucking idiots who feel obliged to make some statement. Their comments disclose a breathtaking lack of knowledge of the history of fashion.