Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. London Rudeboy

London Rudeboy Senior member

2. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

You are right their Rudeboy i would not have known what your age group was doing in 74 and your gang must have been unique dressing as skinheads, especially as the originals was a near distance memory.
    I would have thought a 13/14 would want to dress in the fashion of the day, but thinking about it the cloths we wore in 74 was so awful.. why would a 13/14 want to wear them anyway, :D

Fair play to You and your Gang,:)

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012

3. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

London Rudeboy, in 74 what made you guys want to dress as skinheads? i mean, did you come across old newspaper articles and decide "we want to be like that"? i find it fascinating that guys in your time might have been the first skinheads to want to be skinheads as a way of being rebellious and going against the norm of its day, purposely choosing to be outsiders. or is that putting too much backstory into what you guys were doing at the time?

4. Pressure_Drop

Pressure_Drop Senior member

That's a great story Ed - I remember pestering my mum to get me a pair of Levis (yes she paid for them :embar:) as up to then all I had been wearing were Jet Heavies (they had a 'leather' patch on the back same as Levis but with an outline of a jet on them like the Vulcan bomber).

Anyway I persuaded her that they would be an 'investment' and moree cost effective as at £3.00 (a lot of money then) they would last 5 times longer than the usual denims on offer. So you can imagine my horror when after the first machine wash they frayed around the fly - not just a bit, the bloody things fell apart down the entire length of the fly. Course my mum insisted on taking them back (think it was Stone-Dri I bought them from) with me in tow and then she had a stand up row in the shop - think my credibility as a 15 year old 'tough' went way out of the window that day - I did manage to get a replacement pair mind.

Also just remembered that I didn't get a granddad vest of sorts but me and my mates got plain crew necked football shirts (long sleeve of course) in blues, reds or greens - nothing to do with our football allegiances - they were quite popular here in Bristol, perhaps more so than the grandard vests.

5. harrysgame

harrysgame Senior member

I agree Roy. There were skinheads in 1974, but definatly not in london. More in the midlands, up north and scotland. But definatly not London. Someone either telling porkies or severely got their dates wrong.

6. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

In the early 70s,I was going over to West London quite a bit(Notting Hill Carnival,and seeing People I knew in Shepherds Bush).All I can remember is seeing young kids with shoulder length hair,rolled up up Jeans and Boots(I was amused in seeing them dressed as such-`74/75).I can remember somrone posting on here about wearing Parkas to the Boleyn Ground(early 70s),something else I must have missed.:)

7. London Rudeboy

Yes, far too much retrospective supposition. No, it was simpler than that it was because of the older boys we knew from school and our neighbourhood who we saw dressed like that and it was just a natural progression downwards from them to the younger members of our loosely collected gang, as it is with all generations I'd guess.

When I was 14 in 1975, for example, I started working after school in a deli in Notting Hill Gate with young men, aged 17 upwards, from our area, so of course stuff got passed on from them as well. We weren't being rebellious or outsiders just carrying on with what we saw and liked. And we weren't alone, we often had run-ins with a mixed skinhead/smoothy gang, similarly aged, from Queensway, who were led by a vicious Maltese kid, and a gang from West Kensington. Also gangs from the infamous experimental school of Holland Park, which if I remember correctly was the first non-uniformed secondary school in London, and they unlike the resto f us could wear their clobber to school. Holland Park and points south were very much part of our area. There was a kind of a sectarian alliance of sorts between the big Catholic schools of Kensington & Chelsea (St. Thomas More, Cardinal Manning, Cardinal Vaughan, Brompton Oratory) which meant we rarely fought each other. But after a school day, we at St. Thomas More's RC secondary school in Chelsea would often end up in fights on Sloane Square with the C of E boys from St. Michael's. Sectarian violence was alive and kicking in West London in the 70s.
    That said, we never had rucks with people due to colour/race, only by gang, geography and school.
    I left school in summer 78.

8. London Rudeboy

The only parkas I remember seeing in the early seventies on kids my age were those heavy vinyl things our mums bought for us, with the fur collars and orange linings, and on the occassional Mod that's we'd see in Kensington Gardens at the weekend. There was one called Gary, who went out with a girl called Gina who always dressed like Alvin Stardust she even wore one leather glove, long before MJ thought of it.

There were plenty of hippies in Notting Hill certainly, the home of Richard Branson and loads of prog musicians and of course there were loads of communes up and down Ladbroke Grove, Portobello and KPR....and who could forget the Republic of Frestonia in Notting Dale. Happy days.

9. London Rudeboy

Well I'm being called a liar here left,right and centre. So fuck it! I'm not going to keep on explaining to people who seem to think they had every corner of London covered! Harry you must have been fucking busy keeping tabs on every gang of young teenagers in West London!

10. Brideshead

Brideshead Senior member

I don’t think anyone is calling anyone else a liar.

I think the problem here is not whether skinheads existed in London after 1971 but rather whether their existence is/was of any significance.

My personal view, living at the time close to London and visiting it frequently is that they probably did exist – how can you prove a negative and why bother? But in relation to this thread, the information seems of little interest.

The traditional skinhead may have been seen as ‘anti-fashion’ in a sense, but in those early days of the movement it was all about getting the details just right – the obsessive attention to detail in dress, in deportment, in the places you went and the music you listened to. Equally important were the things you would not do – wear the ‘wrong’ jeans, own a scooter, be caught listening to the wrong music. We were setting a new trend – initially one with no name (just as we wanted it). By the time it was given a name by the popular press, late in 1969 it was beginning to change any way.

Over the years, many young kids will have adopted elements of a former youth sub-culture, received some hand-me-downs and called themselves by that name, but so what?

11. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

I think with the original skinheads although the style was anti fashion, it was fashionable to wear such cloths, Brogues Harrington jackets etc, With later 78/80s Skinheads it was fashionable to become a Skinhead, as a alternative to the Punk scene?, although some was connected with Punks ? Out of this, came people that made skinheads a way of life, Some of these people are now members of this site,
    These people have been Skinheads non stop for Thirty odd years, and was there from the beginning of the second wave of Skinheads that started around 78 ??, So they would question that Skinheads was around London of all places in 74, It sort of rewrites Skinhead History.:confused:

To be honest as a original skinhead, For me Skinheads only happened once, everything after is a copy, be it in 74 or 78 It don't really matter, :)

As someone said it is irrelevant to this thread which is about Traditional Skinheads,

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012

12. Brideshead

Brideshead Senior member

That statement does seem to sum up one of the main differences in attitude between those of us that were there in the beginning and those that came later.

13. PxC

PxC Active Member

Would you say these mid 70's skins looked a bit like this?
    [​IMG]

14. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Now that is a mixture!!:)

Check Shirts in `74?And BD?Cannot say I saw that get-up.

15. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Could be 73/74, Looking at the posters of Bowie in the background, :) I would say they are Northerners, maybe Scotland? Shirt looks like a Brutus BD, The trousers are British Army Cross over belt OGs, must say a strange mix.

Their is a Bay City Roller look about the Lad also.:D

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012