Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

I've just taken the time to read the article... utter bollocks! (IMHO!) And, anyone going to Stockport 'pier' better be wearing walking boots... the sea is about 50 miles away! :nodding:

2. Little Queenie

Little Queenie Senior member

Like most things written in 'the media' about Skinheads.

3. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

4. Little Queenie

Little Queenie Senior member

5. Gramps

Gramps Senior member

Certainly isnt Suzie, and aint it annoying [​IMG][​IMG]

6. Brideshead

Brideshead Senior member

Going back to dessies I reckon you can combine them with a stealth skinhead look - they were worn up to about 1967 by the 'hard mod'. I have a couple of pair:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

As it happens John , i was thinking of getting a pair of Clarks Dessies, The ones i wear for the last 30 years are bought in Silvermans £ 26... for the last pair but they wear out rapid.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012

8. Yankee

Yankee Well-Known Member

A bit off topic,
    but here's an Interesting vid on melbourne sharpies from 66. They appear at 2:00
    Seems they were around at the same time as the earliest skins, were pretty clean cut and ivy, checked shirts and jumpers, and fought with with traditional mods (as opposed being a separation from the flowery late sixties mods.)
    The ape-drape mullets of the 70s look like their equivalent of suede/smoothie/bootboy
    Parallel evolution?

9. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

No disrespect here but we are going backwards, People are posting pics and video clips that have been posted before so we are going over old ground....New members please read the whole thread first. Which may take some time, :D But it will save going over subjects that have already been covered. :)

10. harrysgame

harrysgame Senior member

Double post. Sorry

11. harrysgame

harrysgame Senior member

Well earlier you said you was a skinhead in 1974. This wouldn't have been the new breed of skinheads. So over to you Roy.:D

12. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

In 74 I was still only 20 and still very active around NW and West London, Kilburn and Notting Hill are next door to each other, We would drink down Portobello Road Notting Hill and Westborne Grove, I never saw Skinheads around there at that time. Think about it fashion moves on, and Skinheads in 74 just was not fashionable. :D Unless you was in a time warp, :D

13. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

This is such a important document on late 60s early 70s teenaged fashion and social history, But when someone post something on here.. it has to be taken as face value, anyone can say anything ...and it can mislead or dilute the credibility of the whole thread, which would be a shame.
    By cross examining and comparing notes we as a group have come up with maybe the definitive History of the Original Skinheads, But if people start putting Bollocks on here its gonna fcuk it all Up.

14. Van Cleef

Van Cleef Member

Hey all,

Just signed up for the forum, did my introduction bit in the proper thread, but figured I should come here and introduce myself properly as this topic is the entire reason I'm on this forum. Have to thank Jason (Get Smart) on here for recommending it. A truly awesome amount of information and reference is available through this thread and it's greatly appreciated for all who've participated. Anyway, onto me. 25 year old from Calgary, Canada. Run a website (http://forthesuits.com) covering West Ham, skinhead/suedehead style, reggae and rocksteady as well as a lot on boxing. My interests are pretty evident from there I'd think, also have a healthy love for spaghetti westerns as the username might suggest. If you're on Facebook you can also head to the For The Suits. page (http://www.facebook.com/pages/For-The-Suits/368657546479583) and like it on there as well. Some stuff not covered on the site is there and we're also putting out a quarterly print issue. Hopefully the post doesn't come off as too much of a shill, just trying to spread the word a bit. Look forward to contributing in here as much as I can although I'm sure it might be much more of a learning experience for myself.

15. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Agreed Roy!