• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always said I only wore Plain or Striped BS with Suits,until the other day when my younger Sister(who used to knock about with us-She is about the same Age as Roy)reminded me of the Gingham Check BS,that I used to wear with my Suit(about `69).Forgotten about that one.Vanessa also said that Boys would wear Check Shirts with Suits and with Jackets and Jeans.

Ed Vaughan

Reaction score
The tale of the Maverick jeans.

Still at school, my mum thought she'd buy me another pair of jeans - bless her.

It's 1969, I have one pair of Levi's, one pair of Wranglers and a pair of plain white, jean-type pants. (Obviously, I have gear for school - but that's not relevant - honest!!!)

One day, summer holidays, my mum goes shopping and comes back with a pair of... 'Mavericks'.

I'd never heard of them but, the denim was familiar - and they were almost identical to my Wranglers. But they weren't 'real', were they?

For a start, they were 10-bob (50p) cheaper, there was no flat studs on the back pockets, instead of a big 'W' on the pockets, there was an 'M' and no little patch saying 'Wrangler'.

Worse, knowing how I hated new jeans... she washed them three times before showing them to me. (Couldn't take 'em back, could I?)

The piss-take was embarrassing. I put them on - she was my mum, FFS! She really, really tried... but...

First comments: 'Did you get 'em cheap 'cos they put the pockets on upside down?'

'Cheap 'cos they have the back pocket studs missing?'

And, finally: '... did your mum buy them for you? (There were more, I just can't remember.) :embar:

Once on, they never saw the light of day for months then, I took the back pockets off... and they really looked like Wranglers - they were made on the same machines, in the same factory but... I still remember the big, red face my mother's good turn got me.

FTR: I reckon the tosser shop assistant knew the score and had to get rid of a stock of these jeans... and my mum fell into it - bastard. (g):nodding:

Edit: I wore suits and check shirts - perfectly acceptable up our way. :nodding:

Last edited:

harrysgame

Reaction score

Scruffy? Your word mate, not mine. I simply said punks. I agree with you though good & bad in every bunch.

However, two points to remember, nearly every "Skinhead" I know who was a skinhead in the Oi period & listened to Oi referred to themselves as punks first and the vast majority of the Oi skinheads I met and knew and still know where Nazis in the early 80s, including most of the "traditional skinheads" in my own crew in Sweden. And they openly admit that, and put it down to the folly of youth.

I'm sorry but there is still too much of this rose-tinted revisionist stuff going on among skinheads about how skinheads in England in the 70s and 80s weren't racist or Nazis, no not all of them where, but a hell of a lot of htem where, I know from first hand experience, but from friends and from fights with nazi skinheads in West London. 

So you think Skinheads in the 60 and early 70s wern't racist? I think you are kidding yourself if you think they wern't.

Your other point about Skinheads in the Oi period reffering to themselves as Punks. Thats bollocks mate. No skinheads i know would have reffered to themselves as punks in those days.

There were some very smart skinheads around the country in the late 70s early 80s as there are now.

harrysgame

Reaction score

Shep,  you seem to think perhaps that I am some youngster in a foreign land. I'm over 50, I was born in West London, and I was a skinhead first in 74 and we had our gang in Notting Hill.
I mention the politics of the late 70s & 80s because it was very prevalent amongst skinheads & punks and it was unavoidable; and the Oi punks/skinheads were the most political of all, I've lost count of the Zeig Heiling skinheads I saw in the 80s. NF and BNP meets were populated almost exclusively by skinheads then.

My point is this, that an Oi punk skinhead had nothing in common with a traditional skinhead apart from clothes.   

At least you are blowing some one Myth out the water. Most original skinheads i have spoken to say that there were no skinheads in london past 1971. :D

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sociality it the 60s/70s was racist, Original Skinheads only reflected the times, but it was not Political, Their was no Skinheads in London after early 71.

Last edited:

Ed Vaughan

Reaction score

So you think Skinheads in the 60 and early 70s wern't racist? I think you are kidding yourself if you think they wern't.
Your other point about Skinheads in the Oi period reffering to themselves as Punks. Thats bollocks mate. No skinheads i know would have reffered to themselves as punks in those days.
There were some very smart skinheads around the country in the late 70s early 80s as there are now.

We had a boy, hung out (recent term), with us called Roy Black.

He was an 'half-caste' - now known as 'mixed race' - and was (and hopefully, still is) a great fella.

One day, 4-5 of us, walking up the road, spotted him getting on his scooter - he was the first to get one as his dad had a shop, Roy worked there and 'helped himself' to some of the profits. (And why not, he grafted long hours there, sometimes, too.)

We shouted him: 'Roy! Roy!! Roy!!! Hoi - Blackie!... (remember his name?)

At that, a wee, insignificant Asian fella, who had been walking up across the road from us, produced a fuqq-off big dagger, and shouted all sorts at us - TBH, we were astonished. We really didn't see that coming.

We stood our ground - more out of complete amazement, than anything else - and the wee man approached us.

We explained - with us talking in broken English :happy: - what the score was, and 'Blackie' just turned up, on his Li-150 (with helmet), to see WTF was going on.

It got resolved, and the little fella, who was an Indian, Hindu, and who I later used to see in the local pubs - i nearly made him an honorary Scotsman, he drank so much - turned out to be a real character - now probably long gone... but obviously with some big bollocks. :happy:

We were a mixed bunch and never, ever, were any of our rucks to do with race, creed or colour - ever.

Now birds... that was an altogether different matter. :)

Edit: Pissed spelling.

Last edited:

Ed Vaughan

Reaction score
Right, while I'm on a memory roll... did anyone, outside Manchester, wear Oxfords? The shoes, that is?

I bought a pair from a pal's brother who was TA (Territorial Army - dress kit), wore them with Levi's, BS and a parka, for the Hibs v Hearts game on New year's day, 1970 - I was like an alien.

Number two cut - Edinburgh, in those days, was still long hair - I must have looked 'radio-rental'.

Fact: I never supported either, I was brought up Rangers - not QPR - the real McCoy, and only went 'cos it was that, or stay with drunk relatives intent on getting drunker and singing maudlin songs.
(That's Scottish Presbyterianism, for you! My parents returned every year to ensure Scotland would not fall into terminal decline, with them in England. :happy:

Anyway - was it just us, in Manchester - with these 'dancers?

(Edit: spelling again, typed as a 'friend's 'bother' - freudian, maybe... nah, just steamin'!) :embar:

Last edited:

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By late 70 , Marc Bolan, T Rex.. with Ride a White Swan, was the beginning of the end of Skinheads in London, My girlfriend, [ It was always Girls who latched on to music first,:D] She brought it around me house and put it on the Record player, I was not impressed but it became fashion, Marc Bolan use to wear a satin jacket So we all went out and bought one, Then Buggie came out in early 71 On London Weekend TV, We all went out and bought Budgie jackets, Along came Rod Stewart with Maggie May, everyone went out and got a Rod Stewart haircut, Then Bowie came along with Ziggy, everyone got coloured high-lights in their hair, so it went on. From T Rex to Bowie the fashion was a couple of years, 70/72. it changed that fast. Skinheads in London was a distance memory, By 72 I was still just 18, :)

Last edited:

Ed Vaughan

Reaction score

By late 70 , Marc Bolan, T Rex.. with Ride a White Swan, was the beginning of the end of Skinheads in London, My girlfriend, [ It was always Girls who latched on to music first,:D] brought it around me house and put it on the Record player, I was not impressed but it became fashion, Marc Bolan use to wear a satin jacket So we all went out and bought one, Then Buggie came out in early 71 On London Weekend TV, We all went out and bought Budgie jackets, Along came Rod Stewart with Maggie May, everyone went out and got a Rod Stewart haircut, Then Bowie came along with Ziggy, everyone got coloured high-lights in their hair, so it went on. From T Rex to Bowie the fashion was a couple of years, 70/72. it changed that fast. :)

We could be like Arnie and Danny de Vito... get used to it, Danny! :cheers:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096320/

Edit: Again, unfortunately, like the Bowie thing, my hair was sooo black, it went yellow - so I never bothered. (The 'barber' always advised against colouring. Maybe that's why I still have it?) :nodding:

Last edited:

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Mate Paul had the longer Crop,did not realise it then that it was called the "French Crop".I remember the various Colours of "V"Neck Jumpers-not just Wine or Navy Blue.Going back to Ed Vaughans` thing about Oxfords.In the early days of "Skins", exR.A.F.Shoes(Oxfords) were worn-bought from Army Surplus Stores.This did not last too long though,as better Brogues were being sought out(pre Royal Days).

Going back to what Roy said,about the "signs of the times"(in the 60s).Society was Rascist,according to these days,but there was friction between the other Races as well.In `69 I did a Relief Manager Stint over in Southall.On the Saturday Night I finished work(around 6:30)and walked to the Station to go Home.I had to walk in the middle of the road,because there were gangs of Blacks and Asians shouting abuse at each other.This does not get recorded.I was the only White Person on the Street.I was told later on,this happened all the time.I did not know of any Skinheads who were "**** Bashing",but that is not to say it did not go on.There were a few Asian Shopkeepers where I was but I do not recall them being targeted any more by Skins-than anybody else.Had a couple of Black Mates in the little Crew we had-they took the banter and gave it!! Couple of the smartest Dressers as well(not Skinhead though).:)

albion

Reaction score

Shep,  you seem to think perhaps that I am some youngster in a foreign land. I'm over 50, I was born in West London, and I was a skinhead first in 74 and we had our gang in Notting Hill.
I mention the politics of the late 70s & 80s because it was very prevalent amongst skinheads & punks and it was unavoidable; and the Oi punks/skinheads were the most political of all, I've lost count of the Zeig Heiling skinheads I saw in the 80s. NF and BNP meets were populated almost exclusively by skinheads then.

My point is this, that an Oi punk skinhead had nothing in common with a traditional skinhead apart from clothes.   

On the other hand, i have been at Anti Fascist meetings that were almost entirely peopled by skinheads. Skinhead doesn't and historically hasn't
adhered to any one political viewpoint or ideology. It's a broad church and all the better for it.

London Rudeboy

Reaction score
Quote:

Definitely a myth, anyone who says there were no skinheads in London after 1971 was clearly not a regualre in central and west London after 1971. There were quite a few young skinheads on the Kings Road in 75,76. I gave it up in 80 when I joined the RAF. But came back to it again in the 00s.

Last edited:

Ed Vaughan

Reaction score

From a 1971ish newspaper article in the UK, notice the selvedge jeans haha, SF approved
File0319.jpg
**cheers to S&P, the gal who originally found this historical gem
I've just taken the time to read the article... utter bollocks! (IMHO!) And, anyone going to Stockport 'pier' better be wearing walking boots... the sea is about 50 miles away! :nodding:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads