• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

harrysgame

Reaction score

Skinheads did not wear Dessies around my way in the 60s, However i have been wearing them since 82, Cheap and comfortable, Still available in Silvermans, :)
IMG_0132.jpg

I have always worn them for as long as i can remember. Wouldn't nessasarily say they are skinhead kit. My brother says the hippies used to wear them in the late sixties early seveties. But i like them. Look nice with Levi's or Sta pres in the summer. Mine don't have the Para Cord though.

harrysgame

Reaction score

As I said though, it depends on what look you're after.
I've been buying original clothes since the mid 80s (when it was cheap and easy). I've spent a whole lot of time since shopping for such stuff, so I've a few bits to choose from. I know its nice to just go to the shop and get a new shirt, rather than scouring wierd shops full of junk trying to find summet in decent nick that fits. But what I always wanted was an original look. What better to carry it off then the original stuff that was worn back then? Obviously creating the look is a lot more than buying some old bits of ebay, throwing them together and expecting to look like a cool skinhead. But that's why I've spent all the time in between talking to old skinheads and looking at old pictures and figuring out what was what. This forum's been a good source of info as rather than a drunken 5 minute chat with some old bloke you met at the bar, its a well thought through comment on older times, hence full of detail and meaning.
There's plenty of stuff ye can buy nowadays and still carry off the look and from a styling point of view that can be achieved.
What hunting for old stuff has taught me is to be mindful of detail as you need to know what constitutes an original and what doesn't.
In '69, it was a lot easier as you went to the right shop and bought the coolest thing he had - relatively simple.
There's a big difference in looking at 500 variations of Levis and deciding which ones fit with the skinhead era and why. That's why I can comment on old bollocks like the cut of a Ben Sherman pocket, where that's something you would have never had to think about in '69.
Like going to the tailors and knowing what suit to ask for (as was mentioned the other day). If you don't know (and he doesn't know), it'll turn out wrong. Same as if you're at the shirt makers getting your original Ben Sherman copied, if you don't point out what details should be copied, to what accuracy and why, then you may as well buy a Mikkel Rude.
So I know that's a different mentality to how it was, but in so many many ways, its not 40-odd years ago and I'm not 17, but I'll try and recreate the look as best I can, with the resources available.
(but don't tell anyone I'm using a magic typewriter that lets me talk to total strangers, who live miles away!!)

Brilliant post. As are most of your replies very imformative.

Your not Will or Bob by any chance are you?

soundsnpressure

Reaction score
I know this is off subject.
English boozers are closing at an alarming rate nationwide. I'm from Birmingham and one seems to be closing every week.
I'm sure this is the same in all regions of the UK.
Traditional skinhead culture is well routed in with working class, whom generally sup ale.
Where are skinheads supposed to let their 'hair down', so to speak ;)

Where is a modern day traditional skinhead supposed to show of his threads? Skinhead/reggae/soul do's are few and far between.
All my best clobber gets shown of in bleedin Tesco's.
You don't tend to see skinheads in all the modern branded boozes, wetherspoons etc.
Just a shame the English boozer is dying out. They either close or are turned into 'eating' pubs.

I think this is an important part of skinhead culture. or maybe that's just me.
Not sure what our American cousins think of this.

This is me outside a Brum boozer (Inside of this boozer is on a UB40 best of, lol, just an example ;)

Last edited:

Pressure_Drop

Reaction score

I always liked the early Ben Sherman long sleeved striped shirts - can't say I've come across any good lookalikeys for sale in this country (unless you gents can educate me of course:)) but I did buy this one in a Brooks Brothers store in Boston last year for about 50 dollars - bargain! Think I'm right in saying that Ben Shermans were based on the Brooks Brothers shirt anyway? Correct me if I'm wrong guys.

It fits well (as well as it can on a 56 year old fat b@stard) and it looks especially good against the Baracuta tartan - as I've always thought the window pane checks of Bennys and Brutus' sometimes clash with the jacket lining.

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I know this is off subject.
English boozers are closing at an alarming rate nationwide. I'm from Birmingham and one seems to be closing every week.
I'm sure this is the same in all regions of the UK.
Traditional skinhead culture is well routed in with working class, whom generally sup ale.
Where are skinheads supposed to let their 'hair down', so to speak ;)

Where is a modern day traditional skinhead supposed to show of his threads? Skinhead/reggae/soul do's are few and far between.
All my best clobber gets shown of in bleedin Tesco's.
You don't tend to see skinheads in all the modern branded boozes, wetherspoons etc.
Just a shame the English boozer is dying out. They either close or are turned into 'eating' pubs.

I think this is an important part of skinhead culture. or maybe that's just me.
Not sure what our American cousins think of this.

This is me outside a Brum boozer (Inside of this boozer is on  a UB40 best of, lol, just an example ;)

In 1969 I was drinking light and bitter. The real ale revival had not kicked off and lager had yet to get a strong foothold. Many of the pubs had some sort of dancehall attached. I would turn my nose up at Fullers beer which admittedly was not always kept very well in some places.

After 1975 I started to get interested in ales and sought out pubs with good beer, but my skinhead days were behind me then.

Now I will walk past most pubs but go out of my way to get to good ones.

As for youngsters they do not seem to spend a lot of time in pubs except getting a few cheap rounds in before hitting the local clubs. Wetherspoons is an entirely different sort of establishment an anonymous chain, familiar but without much character but having said that they do provide decent ales and a cheaper visit than most other pubs.

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I always liked the early Ben Sherman long sleeved striped shirts - can't say I've come across any good lookalikeys for sale in this country (unless you gents can educate me of course:)) but I did buy this one in a Brooks Brothers store in Boston last year for about 50 dollars - bargain! Think I'm right in saying that Ben Shermans were based on the Brooks Brothers shirt anyway? Correct me if I'm wrong guys.
It fits well (as well as it can on a 56 year old fat b@stard) and it looks especially good against the Baracuta tartan - as I've always thought the window pane checks of Bennys and Brutus' sometimes clash with the jacket lining.

I have to say that back in the day Ben Sherman did all sorts of blue shirts with stripes in a fantastic range of colours. I think they had a far better selection of blue with stripes than the American equivalent. Unfortunately, they were all slim fit with the sewn up box pleat and that did not cut the mustard in London.

I really wish blue with stripes would reappear. Look at Brooks Brothers & J Press now and the stripes are all a bit boring.

Ed Vaughan

Reaction score

talking bout multiple pockets.. it always can be worse... ;)

Sir... that should have come with some sort of warning.

Fortunately, we have had a half-price voddie night in ma local.. I'm anaesthetised. :nodding:

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In 1969 I was drinking light and bitter. The real ale revival had not kicked off and lager had yet to get a strong foothold. Many of the pubs had some sort of dancehall attached. I would turn my nose up at Fullers beer which admittedly was not always kept very well in some places.
After 1975 I started to get interested in ales and sought out pubs with good beer, but my skinhead days were behind me then.
Now I will walk past most pubs but go out of my way to get to good ones.
As for youngsters they do not seem to spend a lot of time in pubs except getting a few cheap rounds in before hitting the local clubs. Wetherspoons is an entirely different sort of establishment an anonymous chain, familiar but without much character but having said that they do provide decent ales and a cheaper visit than most other pubs.

Light and Bitter Man myself back then.Also included in our drinking sprees were Snakebite and drinking bottles of Barley Wine through a straw-a cheap way of getting lubricated.When we went to a Party a Party 7 would appear.Watneys Red Barrel,Babycham and Pints with a real Head on it.I can see it now. :)

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Fortunately, we have had a half-price voddie night in ma local.. I'm anaesthetised. :nodding:

What do you do with that-wear it or breathe through it? :)

noddy

Reaction score
Fortunately, we have had a half-price voddie night in ma local.. I'm anaesthetised.
nod[1].gif

that suit belongs to one of the smartest skinheads that I know seems ever site I go on these days people seem to be passing comment on everyone elses clothes and style in a very negative way but I dont see anyone out at dos putting anymore effort in than the same handful of people that always have done

Last edited:

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

that suit belongs to one of the smartest skinheads that I know seems ever site I go on these days people seem to be passing comment on everyone elses clothes and style in a very negative way but I dont see anyone out at dos putting anymore effort in than the  same handful of people that always have done

Everyone to their taste Mate.I do put effort into my Clothes when I go out-though it might not mean a Suit.I just cannot understand all the Pocket Flaps.

soundsnpressure

Reaction score
I've always thought the window pane checks of Bennys and Brutus' sometimes clash with the jacket lining.

I've always had this trouble. Unless you are wearing a plain shirt or plain polo, check shirts never seem to sit nice with the tartan lining of a harrington. Can be very hard to match up.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads