• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Bantam

Reaction score
hgx 316 c scooter made 1967 i got in 71 from roy speed of hornchurch i did have an old lambretta when i was 14 learnt to drive it off road harry mate

Had a Royspeed tuned 225 barrel on my GP Lammy in the mid 70's
biggrin.gif

el norte

Reaction score
Another footwear question gents - were dessies ever worn? Haven't seem much (or any?) photographic evidence of it.

soundsnpressure

Reaction score
Last edited:

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ben sherman have some limited edition gingham BD's out.
£95 Japanese fabric, made in England, comes in a proper box.
Look pretty neat.

Do these look anything like the originals, or are very modern interpretations of the original shirt???

I wouldn't mind getting one if they look authentic/vintage.

http://www.stuartslondon.com/shirts...gham-red-limited-edition-shirt-ma000244-p5471

Unbelievable awful shirt at such a high price, The check patten is basic which makes the shirt cheap to produce, The collar looks crap , and the second button is too low for a skinhead shirt. Also a mark of a cheap shirt is when they just add the pocket without lining the pocket patten up with the rest of the shirt.

Just my opinion, :)

Last edited:

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Another footwear question gents - were dessies ever worn? Haven't seem much (or any?) photographic evidence of it.

Skinheads did not wear Dessies around my way in the 60s, However i have been wearing them since 82, Cheap and comfortable, Still available in Silvermans, :)

IMG_0132.jpg

Yankee

Reaction score
speaking of shirt buttons....
did any of you ever button these shirts all the way up to the top with no tie?
I've seen quite a few top-buttoners around at 'dos and wonder were it came from, since everyone in these old pics keeps their shirts open.

Ben sherman have some limited edition gingham BD's out.
£95 Japanese fabric, made in England, comes in a proper box.
Look pretty neat.

Do these look anything like the originals, or are very modern interpretations of the original shirt???

Straight hem sleeves.

I wouldn't mind getting one if they look authentic/vintage.

http://www.stuartslondon.com/shirts...gham-red-limited-edition-shirt-ma000244-p5471

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Unbelievable awful shirt at such a high price, The check patten is basic which makes the shirt cheap to produce, The collar looks crap , and the second button is too low for a skinhead shirt. Also a mark of a cheap shirt is when they just add the pocket without lining the pocket patten up with the rest of the shirt.

Thei Pattern reminds me of a tablecloth.The original Gingham Check was smaller.Another attempt to try and cash-in on past Glories!!!

buttons

Reaction score

Where do I start?!
It depends on what look you really want but if you want summet that looks like an original Benny, this isn't it. I'd struggle to recommend one that is, but I'm sure there's plenty of lads on here could recommend whatever the market has to offer. I only wear original shirts (and pretty much original everything) but I haven't noticed any shirts available nowadays that would replicate an original British button down. Them new Brututs Trimfits - whilst being different to an original Brutus in every way, except for some of the fabrics (from a distance) don't look too bad, as a 1970 cheap shirt.
As for this red and white one ... whilst the check is twisted on the pocket, which is a sign of a cheaper shirt as Roy says, it was used on many original shirts at the time. However Ben Sherman twisted the check on the front placket (which costs more) and lined up the check or stripe on the top pocket. Also, the sleeve is a hem with a fold, which Jaytex (and one or two others) did, but Ben Sherman stopped doing after their oxford stripes and started using a cuff and fold which appeared on all later plains & checked short sleeved offerings (on their button downs anyway). The collar hasn't got the same cut, so will never lie right - less pointed, more squared off. If you bought a shirt from Fine Fair in '69, it had a far nicer collar than that. Second button is too low for a Benny, even more so for a checked one; its not slim fit (too straight up and down); probably doesn't have darts, the buttons have 4 holes (Ben Sherman always had 2, despite the 3 different types they used between '68 and '70). The hem around the bottom's not bad!
If they were a tenner each, I wouldn't get one.

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting what you say buttons about only wearing Original cloths, I am the opposite I have nothing from the original days, I started wearing Ivy Style cloths again late 70s early 80s, not 100% sure,
I went to the Ivy shop around 81, But none of the original stuff was available, so i bought a couple of BD Baggies shirts and a Baracuta, he never had Sky Jump Harringtons in stock, also no Royals, So i bought a pair of Alfred Sergents from AJ Martin in Maida Vale, I must point out i would have been totally unaware that their was any sort of Skinhead scene at that time, I just liked Ivy style cloths.. and been wearing them ever since.

I just could not wear anything from the Original days , for me it would be a bit weird...like going backwards, or behaving backward, :D, :D

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Interesting what you say buttons about only wearing Original cloths, I am the opposite I have nothing from the original days, I started wearing Ivy Style cloths again late 70s early 80s, not 100% sure,
I went to the Ivy shop around 81, But none of the original stuff was available, so i bought a couple of BD Baggies shirts and a Baracuta, he never had Sky Jump Harringtons in stock, also no Royals, So i bought a pair of Alfred Sergents from AJ Martin in Maida Vale, I must point out i would have been totally unaware that their was any sort of Skinhead scene at that time, I just liked Ivy style cloths.. and been wearing them ever since.
I just could not wear anything from the Original days , for me it would be a bit weird...like going backwards, or behaving backward, :D, :D

You are right Roy,we did it then so why do it now.Though I have some Ben Shermans-but these date from the 80s.

Ed Vaughan

Reaction score

Where do I start?!
It depends on what look you really want but if you want summet that looks like an original Benny, this isn't it. I'd struggle to recommend one that is, but I'm sure there's plenty of lads on here could recommend whatever the market has to offer. I only wear original shirts (and pretty much original everything) but I haven't noticed any shirts available nowadays that would replicate an original British button down. Them new Brututs Trimfits - whilst being different to an original Brutus in every way, except for some of the fabrics (from a distance) don't look too bad, as a 1970 cheap shirt.
As for this red and white one ... whilst the check is twisted on the pocket, which is a sign of a cheaper shirt as Roy says, it was used on many original shirts at the time. However Ben Sherman twisted the check on the front placket (which costs more) and lined up the check or stripe on the top pocket. Also, the sleeve is a hem with a fold, which Jaytex (and one or two others) did, but Ben Sherman stopped doing after their oxford stripes and started using a cuff and fold which appeared on all later plains & checked short sleeved offerings (on their button downs anyway). The collar hasn't got the same cut, so will never lie right - less pointed, more squared off. If you bought a shirt from Fine Fair in '69, it had a far nicer collar than that. Second button is too low for a Benny, even more so for a checked one; its not slim fit (too straight up and down); probably doesn't have darts, the buttons have 4 holes (Ben Sherman always had 2, despite the 3 different types they used between '68 and '70). The hem around the bottom's not bad!
If they were a tenner each, I wouldn't get one.

You sir, are a mine of information - cap (beret) doffed.:worship:

FTR: I'm too lardy nowadays to even countenance wearing anything I had from the (g)'olden days'... assuming that after eight house moves, they still existed.

And with two, wee brothers... no chance.

Still in similar gear, but the polos are just that, usually 'Polo', still wear BDs - anything from RL to Austin Reed to... well anything that doesn't get fuqqed with heavy stubble, various brogues and loafers and assorted suits and chinos - I'm old, FFS! :embar:

Love this forum.

Last edited:

buttons

Reaction score

You are right Roy,we did it then so why do it now.Though I have some Ben Shermans-but these date from the 80s.

As I said though, it depends on what look you're after.
I've been buying original clothes since the mid 80s (when it was cheap and easy). I've spent a whole lot of time since shopping for such stuff, so I've a few bits to choose from. I know its nice to just go to the shop and get a new shirt, rather than scouring wierd shops full of junk trying to find summet in decent nick that fits. But what I always wanted was an original look. What better to carry it off then the original stuff that was worn back then? Obviously creating the look is a lot more than buying some old bits of ebay, throwing them together and expecting to look like a cool skinhead. But that's why I've spent all the time in between talking to old skinheads and looking at old pictures and figuring out what was what. This forum's been a good source of info as rather than a drunken 5 minute chat with some old bloke you met at the bar, its a well thought through comment on older times, hence full of detail and meaning.
There's plenty of stuff ye can buy nowadays and still carry off the look and from a styling point of view that can be achieved.
What hunting for old stuff has taught me is to be mindful of detail as you need to know what constitutes an original and what doesn't.
In '69, it was a lot easier as you went to the right shop and bought the coolest thing he had - relatively simple.
There's a big difference in looking at 500 variations of Levis and deciding which ones fit with the skinhead era and why. That's why I can comment on old bollocks like the cut of a Ben Sherman pocket, where that's something you would have never had to think about in '69.
Like going to the tailors and knowing what suit to ask for (as was mentioned the other day). If you don't know (and he doesn't know), it'll turn out wrong. Same as if you're at the shirt makers getting your original Ben Sherman copied, if you don't point out what details should be copied, to what accuracy and why, then you may as well buy a Mikkel Rude.
So I know that's a different mentality to how it was, but in so many many ways, its not 40-odd years ago and I'm not 17, but I'll try and recreate the look as best I can, with the resources available.
(but don't tell anyone I'm using a magic typewriter that lets me talk to total strangers, who live miles away!!)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics