Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

Don't sit on the fence. :tounge:

2. Bantam

Bantam Member

Had a Royspeed tuned 225 barrel on my GP Lammy in the mid 70's[​IMG]

3. el norte

el norte Active Member

Another footwear question gents - were dessies ever worn? Haven't seem much (or any?) photographic evidence of it.

4. soundsnpressure

soundsnpressure Senior member

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  5. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Unbelievable awful shirt at such a high price, The check patten is basic which makes the shirt cheap to produce, The collar looks crap , and the second button is too low for a skinhead shirt. Also a mark of a cheap shirt is when they just add the pocket without lining the pocket patten up with the rest of the shirt.

Just my opinion, :)

6. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Skinheads did not wear Dessies around my way in the 60s, However i have been wearing them since 82, Cheap and comfortable, Still available in Silvermans, :)

[​IMG]

7. Yankee

Yankee Well-Known Member

speaking of shirt buttons....
    did any of you ever button these shirts all the way up to the top with no tie?
    I've seen quite a few top-buttoners around at 'dos and wonder were it came from, since everyone in these old pics keeps their shirts open.

8. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Not by Skinheads-only Mods

9. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Thei Pattern reminds me of a tablecloth.The original Gingham Check was smaller.Another attempt to try and cash-in on past Glories!!!

10. buttons

buttons Senior member

Where do I start?!
    It depends on what look you really want but if you want summet that looks like an original Benny, this isn't it. I'd struggle to recommend one that is, but I'm sure there's plenty of lads on here could recommend whatever the market has to offer. I only wear original shirts (and pretty much original everything) but I haven't noticed any shirts available nowadays that would replicate an original British button down. Them new Brututs Trimfits - whilst being different to an original Brutus in every way, except for some of the fabrics (from a distance) don't look too bad, as a 1970 cheap shirt.
    As for this red and white one ... whilst the check is twisted on the pocket, which is a sign of a cheaper shirt as Roy says, it was used on many original shirts at the time. However Ben Sherman twisted the check on the front placket (which costs more) and lined up the check or stripe on the top pocket. Also, the sleeve is a hem with a fold, which Jaytex (and one or two others) did, but Ben Sherman stopped doing after their oxford stripes and started using a cuff and fold which appeared on all later plains & checked short sleeved offerings (on their button downs anyway). The collar hasn't got the same cut, so will never lie right - less pointed, more squared off. If you bought a shirt from Fine Fair in '69, it had a far nicer collar than that. Second button is too low for a Benny, even more so for a checked one; its not slim fit (too straight up and down); probably doesn't have darts, the buttons have 4 holes (Ben Sherman always had 2, despite the 3 different types they used between '68 and '70). The hem around the bottom's not bad!
    If they were a tenner each, I wouldn't get one.

11. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Interesting what you say buttons about only wearing Original cloths, I am the opposite I have nothing from the original days, I started wearing Ivy Style cloths again late 70s early 80s, not 100% sure,
    I went to the Ivy shop around 81, But none of the original stuff was available, so i bought a couple of BD Baggies shirts and a Baracuta, he never had Sky Jump Harringtons in stock, also no Royals, So i bought a pair of Alfred Sergents from AJ Martin in Maida Vale, I must point out i would have been totally unaware that their was any sort of Skinhead scene at that time, I just liked Ivy style cloths.. and been wearing them ever since.

I just could not wear anything from the Original days , for me it would be a bit weird...like going backwards, or behaving backward, :D, :D

12. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

You are right Roy,we did it then so why do it now.Though I have some Ben Shermans-but these date from the 80s.

13. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

You sir, are a mine of information - cap (beret) doffed.:worship:

FTR: I'm too lardy nowadays to even countenance wearing anything I had from the (g)'olden days'... assuming that after eight house moves, they still existed.

And with two, wee brothers... no chance.

Still in similar gear, but the polos are just that, usually 'Polo', still wear BDs - anything from RL to Austin Reed to... well anything that doesn't get fuqqed with heavy stubble, various brogues and loafers and assorted suits and chinos - I'm old, FFS! :embar:

Love this forum.

14. ShortBackAndSides

ShortBackAndSides Active Member

Take 2! I'd be interested in people's opinions on them.

Jacket A
    Jacket B

15. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Have a Black Leather Jacket similar to this(without the Breast Pocket).
    Like the second one-but not bought one.