Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. ShortBackAndSides

ShortBackAndSides Well-Known Member

Spotted these two jackets on line this morning:

2. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

You could look Smart and Casual-that is why this is my favourite Period.

3. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

For me 67/68 I was at school we wore anything really, it was about the boots, thats what sort of linked everyone together, Wearing boots was just a popular thing to do rather than fashion, Then wearing Dickies Jeans Jungle greens, Sweatshirts and so on, Their was no real pressure to have the cloths, Also the cloths we got hold of was cheap from the Army Surplus store that was on every High Street.
    I suppose we was quite scruffy to be honest.

4. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

Again from my 'Up North' memory there were all kinds of loafers/moccasins/slip-ons sold in shoe shops and worn by lads in the crew in '67, to be replaced almost totally by brogues in '68. Pre-Skinhead times again.

5. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

One other thing for my age group 14 in 68 their was no link to the Mods like say a 17 year hold would have had, This hard Mod thing did not apply to my age group. it was not a rejection of fashion either, We was just doing our own thing at school, The biggest influence on us was having no money, so we made do with what was around us, like the odd jumper or shirt nicked off your brother.

This period 67/68, was completely different to what happened in 69.

6. Man-of-Mystery

That's more or less the look I recall coming across in S E London when I arrived in '68, although the tie wasn't usually quite as loose as that. Plain shirt, tie in a tight Windsor knot but worn loose, top shirt-button undone. Although we all assume that 'the look' requires the top button of the jacket to be done up (that's how I preferred it anyway) I did see a lot of blokes with the centre button fastened like the guy in the photo.

7. Man-of-Mystery

I can understand how this varied according to age-group, Roy. We've discussed this before. Being a couple of years older than you and seeing the gradual changes in my mates at the time, I was aware of the link.

8. London Rudeboy

London Rudeboy Senior member

In the 70s in West London it was tassel loafers or plain college (penny) loafers. Rarely if ever saw a tassel & fringe loafer. And the first time I saw a buckle and fringe was in the photos a page or so back.

9. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Yep thats my point Paul.

If you look at 64... for the Mods it was like 69 for the Skinheads at its height , My Brother was 17 in 64, by 67 he was no longer a Mod, his age group had moved on ..many getting married.. so for me looking at my Brother and his mates Mods seemed like a long way back in memory.

I suppose with your age group Paul in 64 it may have been like 70 when we Skinheads was moving on , but their was Thousands of little 13/14 Skinheads running around. ??

Going back to 67/68 their was two scenes? Your age group who had some link to the Mods and my age group who did not and did their own thing, I mean Boots and Jungle greens was not Mod, This early Skinhead period was invented at school like most fashions/cults.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012

10. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

There were two Scenes going on.If you look at Photos of Caxton Mod Club(Victoria) from `67,you will see the two definite Styles there.It is on the ModcultureSite if you are interested.

11. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Not too good on Computers.:embar:

12. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

And you know what ? That Iconic Caxton Hall Youth in 69 was 100% Black, thats only Two Years later The only girls that got in there was White.

13. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Funny how things change,innit!I like the Picture of the Dj behind the Decks(with the glass screen front)-just as I remembered in the Clubs. :)

14. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

Mmmm... the (convicted) nonce, that was Jonathan King, mentions them in this:

:slayer:

15. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Could not stand the cnut!