Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

so in your opinion, what is the difference between a "skinhead suit" in 60s, versus a regular "well dressed man" suit from the same era? or is there a difference at all?

the multiple ticket pocket thing has always interested me, because I first heard of it in the 80s but I would assume that SOMEONE in the 60s must have worn such a suit for it to have been something for the new 70/80s generation of skinheads to pick up on. I dont think anyone was that clued up on tailoring to have invented it in the revival years and passed it off as "original". most of the multiple ticket pocket suits I have seen are terrible, with the ticket pocket flaps being too tall and too much space between pockets, so that the topmost pocket is at the level of your nipples. Looks very awkward and reminds me of fish gills. gives "sharkskin suit" a different meaning altogether

in that regard I find clued-up mods to have a far better eye at seeing a good suit fit vs bad suit fit than many skinheads who wear suits

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012

2. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

In the mid 60s Men who was say to old to be a Mod wore the Italian suit look, just take a look at the well dressed Kray twins to see what i mean.
    By the late 60s you still had Flower power Hippie look, all i can think of the well dressed Man about town is the Jason King look, :D

The Skinhead suit was smart, and would not have looked out of place in a office or any function, Regarding multiple pockets...i just don't know where 80s Skinheads got the idea, I never saw it myself, You would get all the smart Skinheads in the Tottenham Royal, People was so obsessed with cloths that you would have noticed multiple pockets or velvet collars, all i can say maybe people read what Jim Ferguson wrote and take it as gospel, Or maybe it happened outside London. I just don't know, Maybe buttons has more on the subject.

I do agree Mods have a better eye for a suit, This could be that their is more books with nice photos of smart Mods about, Also people associate Mods with Smartness, but Skinheads with Thuggery, People forget the original Skinhead was far smarter than the Mods, But the general public just remember Right Wing 80s Skinheads,

This is where the Book coming out from this Thread will put the record straight.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012

3. ibaboxing777

ibaboxing777 Active Member

yes thats me bro im 56 now what about you , what part of town were you from mate you must have got your glassess from the same shop lol

4. ibaboxing777

yes mate im 15

5. ibaboxing777

im around 15 in that pic was you a mod before , iwas to young for the clothes so i was well pleased when along come the skins the first time i see the new move from mod was over wanstead flats fair i was with my mum and dad , and we was by the old boxing booth, and there was a fight between two guys , both from two large groups , one of the groups stood right out, short hair, chunky cardigans rolled up jeans braces, i remember me mum saying what a smart bunch of lads even though they were having a punch up, that was me hooked i found an old pic of me i reckon 1968 ish white t shirt old jeans non make plimsols with braces and about a number 3 cut , then i remember some time after convincing me mum to give me the dough for my first docs which i brought from blackmans i brought steel caps by mistake they had the off white band at the top that went red when you used ya ox blood polish on em

6. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

I believe I started seeing these in `69.I bought a pair about then.

7. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Cant see the point of DM Shoes, They look like Spastics footwear, :D

8. Kingstonian

Kingstonian Senior member

I had a suit at 7 for First Communion. Short trousers though.

I did not really start wearing long trousers until secondary school - constant scabs on the knees from falling over. Wash the blood off and tie a hankie around it.

9. ek77

ek77 Senior member

they are the most comfortable shoes ever, if you dont wanna wear boots everyday....

10. bunty

bunty Senior member

Just for you Roy -

Peter Wyngarde (Everybody's dad's favourite :D) 'The Hippie and the Skinhead' (1970) from his spoken word album...very strange...

11. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

They were comfortable and you could wear them into Pubs etc.People thought you were less aggressive with them on.

12. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

They probably shut the School now-health and safety.:)

13. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Peter Wyngarde/Jason King was top man with the Ladies on TV 60s/70 until he got caught in a Mens Public toilet, :D

14. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

saw him a few years ago,on one of the Programmes.still looks the same.

15. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

I thought Jason King was brill in a wacky sort of way, He got fcuk all work after he got sussed out. :D