• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Where I went,in the `60s,I had about 10 Suits done(also for work as well) and I did not have to be remeasured.The Sizing etc.,was always spot on.I could not trust a Tailor now to do that.As you say Roy,you had to keep an eye on him.That is not why your are paying your Money.

The thing is Colin the whole culture was different back then, I would see me Dad putting a suit on Saturday night, and me Brother, Then me Uncle's would come round suited up, By the time I had my suit made i knew Quality, To be honest all the suits i have had made these days.. not one is up to the standard of the suits i had made in the 60s.

Last edited:

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The thing is Colin the whole culture was different back then, I would see me Dad putting a suit on Saturday night, and me Brother, Then me Uncle's would come round suited up, By the time I had my suit made i knew Quality, To be honest all the suits i have had made these days.. not one is up to the standard of the suits i had made in the 60s.

Yes I know what you mean.My Father was the same,they took Pride in how they looked(my Father was an exNaval Man).Your Suits look pretty good now Roy-but as you say,you have to watch them.I remember my Father ,buying me my first Suit,having a go at the Tailors because they got something wrong.I was 12 at the time.

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes I know what you mean.My Father was the same,they took Pride in how they looked(my Father was an exNaval Man).Your Suits look pretty good now Roy-but as you say,you have to watch them.I remember my Father ,buying me my first Suit,having a go at the Tailors because they got something wrong.I was 12 at the time.

Thats so funny, Your first suit, I also remember my Dad taking me to get my first suit, off the peg, I can see the Old Man now , telling me how good this awful suit was , yep i was also about 12 , :D

Last edited:

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thats so funny, Your first suit, I also remember my Dad taking me to get my first suit, off the peg, I can see the Old Man now , telling me how good this awful suit was , yep i was about 12 also , :D

Brothers in Arms Mate!!:D

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Colin you have such a good memory, I have never given it a thought about my first suit until you just posted that, Now i have my Dad RIP in my thoughts.

Same here-both Mum and Dad.Not a Club I wanted to belong to,Mate.

ek77

Reaction score

Those boots are fantastic!! Can you please tell more about them? They look vintage..
all of them are original ones from the 1980s or even earlier... bought them mostly as new deadstock or even like new, but worn only 1-2 times before by someone.... the only ones i bought new were the black ones from the last pic... bought these blackburn on the last pic back in the 80s at british boot company in camden when it still was holts and the old holts still was alive.. got another pair of oxblood astronauts, plus 2 more pair of black astronauts not shown in them pix....

ek77

Reaction score

Thanks for the info mate. (I remember your photography on UKSH, very good and very professional)
Impressive astronaut collection indeed.

I rang BLACKMANS today. The bloke that answered, told me that he has fell out with his supplier, and he won't be getting anymore NPS in again.
So 'SHEP' probably had one of the last great bargains from there :bored:

you are welcome...

i´m sorry that you didnt had luck with your order...

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Great idea.
I'm getting some badges made up with photos of the 'Iconic Originals' from this forum on, or maybe some coins like the Esso 1970 World Cup ones.
....but then again they're still a bit handy and might give me a kicking in York :D

Commendable caution displayed there, Bunters.

(By the way. Forum not sending me email alerts. Again.)

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Originally Posted by Batwing
How about sunglasses? Would it have been aviators etc... ?

hard%2006.jpg

Hymie%20Tastygeezer%2001.jpg

Hymie%20Tastygeezer%2003.jpg
Alan, is that you at the top? The bottom two are me at 18. You must have been the long-lost younger brother I never knew I had!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads