Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. harrysgame

harrysgame Senior member

Welcome to the site Alan.

2. harrysgame

harrysgame Senior member

So Alan you was 12/13 and had a SS180 Vespa?

3. ek77

ek77 Senior member

i think the vespa was from 1967..

4. ek77

ek77 Senior member

here it is:

[​IMG]

5. London Rudeboy

London Rudeboy Senior member

I've never had a pair of longwing "American" brogues, just don't like the look of them. All my brogues have been and are of the more sedate British style.

6. soundsnpressure

soundsnpressure Senior member

Why oh why, have JUMP THE GUN had this lovely brogue boot (commissioned by Solovair) made with a 'COMMANDO' style sole?

I would have bought these if they had been made with a smaller profile sole or even a DM air cushion sole.

Damn [​IMG] just what I was after too £125.

[​IMG]

I bet if you turned the boot to one side. There would be a compass built into the heel and a survival pack integrated into the main sole.

(P.s. aren't longwing brogues known in the US as 'english brogues' and strangely over in the UK they are know as 'american' brogues?)

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  7. Shep

Shep Active Member

If you have a look at post 6302,I posted a picture of some oxblood brogue boots with leather soles.I bought from Blackmans in Brick Lane,east London.They are made by NPS,who are the same company that produce the solovair boots.They should be about £150 but Blackmans do them for £75.

8. Shep

Shep Active Member

Alright Jason.I`ve got a pair of the solovair brogues,I like them but you are right they do have a tendancy to hurt my ankles aswell after wearing them for a while.

9. buttons

buttons Senior member

On the subject of brogue boots, what's the originals memories of these.
    Have talked to a couple of old lads who wore them in '69 but don't think I've got any pictures.
    And if so, what type (as like brogues, there are many)?
    The high gloss brogue leather types that Shep described or the country gent types like the ones Trickers do?
    Or summet else? e.g.:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I get the impression, it wasn't a "skinhead boot" as such but maybe worn along side the 'any boot will do' period before Dr Martens caught on.

10. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

ROFLMAO!

True, I had a skint pal who 'polished' brown suede trekking boots until they shone.

He took some stick. :nodding: (Surprisingly, it - sort of- worked.)

11. buttons

buttons Senior member

ha ha - fair comment - I didn't mean like wearing wellies but not rolling your jeans so high up (!).
    But wearing work boots, army boots etc - e.g. whatever the local Army Navy shop stocked - as you see in many pics from the mod / skinhead cross over period.

12. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

Aye, I never knew anyone, from my time - 1969 - who went straight into DMs... they were probably not available to us - or too expensive!

Still remember being told that steel-tocapped boots (steelies), were classed as 'offensive weapons' by plod - and you could get lifted for wearing 'em. :D

I never knew anyone who did get nicked for wearing a pair... urban myth? I dunno. :paranoia:

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  13. buttons

buttons Senior member

Aye, I never knew anyone, from my time - 1969 - who went straight into DMs... they were probably not available to us - or too expensive!
    Still remember being told that steel-tocapped boots (steelies) were classed as 'offensive weapons' by plod and you could get lifted for waring 'em. :D
    I never knew anyone who did get nicked for wearing a pair... urban myth, I dunno? :paranoia:[/quote]

Daft thing is, a lad who's handy with his fists is a lot more danger than one who isn't whose got steelies on.

14. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

Daft thing is, a lad who's handy with his fists is a lot more danger than one who isn't whose got steelies on.[/quote]

And not too good for running in... allegedly.:nodding:

Something pics here for maybe the younger element - I'd moved on: http://www.soul-source.co.uk/soulforum/topic/116356-northern-soul-70s-fashion/

I remember hearing of 'Skinners', surely a strong cross-wind would have made them dangerous on a scooter? :satisfied:

15. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink