Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Just thought i would post this pic of Colin's/Browniecj Royals, As you can see it says Royals.. Made in England,

[​IMG]

2. ibaboxing777

ibaboxing777 Active Member

Hello gentleman , i would like to clear up a small issue re an interveiw i did for BRITISH STYLE GENIUS regarding the much talked about size of the check on your shirt ect. I was a skinhead when it all started in 1969 i was 14 , plenty old enough a lot of the guys were a lot older and when your 14 and knocking about with 18 plus guys you tend to look up to your elders . and a certain crew at the time in east london , not all skinheads, but this certain firm had one guy leading them , and he wore a black and white check and the other guys wore stripe small check ect . This is how this one gang did it. a bit like later on some guys took to following the clockwork orange garb , of white sta prest collerless shirts ect , only a small minority if i remember. that is a pic of me on this site , in 1970 . And the shades are polaroids gold frame , and yes they are tattoos on my fore arms, i got tattooed around 13 . i found this site by chance but great to read all your posts all the best A

3. ibaboxing777

On the subject of brouges i used to buy mine from a shop down brick lane in east london called blackmans, any one remember it .what about solatio box weave , and the high leg officer boots , i just brought some lovely barker brouges and a pair of loafers , its all back our style

4. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Hello Mate,which part of East London?

5. OHT

OHT Senior member

Welcome to this thread. Most of us on here have seen BSG: The street look & some about it has been discussed on here. I was wondering, was it common for girls to pull on your braces if they wanted your attention? I'm pretty sure it's been touched here that it wouldn't happen but I guess it did in your neck of the woods.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012

6. ibaboxing777

7. ibaboxing777

it was at a dance hall in ilford it was a one off if the bird wanted you to take them out they would ask ya straight out as well and if you had a scooter like i did a 1967 vespa ss 180 they would ask ya for a ride as well i hope this answers ya

8. buttons

buttons Senior member

Cheers for the post - very interesting.
    Was wondering what the other originals thought of tattoos them days. Its all changed nowadays - public attitudes and acceptance of tattoos has been totally tranformed ove rthe last 40 years. They've very popular on the modern skinhead scene, as with most revivalist type youth cultures (rockabillies, 40s. 50s types etc). Not my taste at all and glad I was never tempted as a kid (got enough regrets in life without having pictures on me arms that I don't like any more!!). I'm assuming back then, some lads got them, some didn't but were there tattoos that were 'skinhead tattoos' as opposed to the usual stuff that blokes had done in the 60s?

And as for second hand shoes - it all depends. I've got a lot of 60s shoes and wear little else. Many of these were pre-worn and apart from the odd pair, most are comfy and look great. Got a pair of 60s Cordovan smooths by Allen Edmunds and they're like putting your feet into a fur lined slipper!

9. ibaboxing777

hello buttons, at that time around 68 69 it was real popular were i came from to get tattooed, they were all whats now called old school or sailor jerry tattoos which were the typicial hearts and swallows, eagles snakes daggers and roses ect no skinhead tats at all one i had was a boxer dog with boxing gloves on with the words kid slug written under it . when we used to go and get inked there would be greasers and some old teds in the same shop, which sometimes turned quite interesting

10. ibaboxing777

11. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Welcome to the thread mate, Yes i saw your BSG interview, It was interesting what you said about the Checks and status in a gang, Was it just in your gang this happened? as around my way in the 60s, this never went on, Its funny how people become leaders, It could be their fighting ability or they was just popular in the gang. or some was just good talkers. :)

12. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Just to add liked your documentary on your Cage Fight. Well done mate.

13. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

A nice pair of Cheaney Brogues, About the best shape Brogue in my collection. not sure if they are still available these days.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. ibaboxing777

your right mate i remember the night we were told that about the guy with the inch check sherman i was a brand new skin about thirteen and a half . We were of our manor and had been invited over to a youth club banged out with nearly all ex mods turned skin,s i still remember all the long sideburns we didnt have a bit of fluff on our chins, and there were about 20 of em . the geezer was there livley lad and like you said probaly there best fighting man . we were told by them that he was wearing a leaders shirt, at that time most of us couldnt afford a ben sherman let alone a proper ginham check it never came over on the tv cos they cut loads of it out, it was just an old story that stuck in my mind . great days though where were you from back then , all the best A

15. OHT

OHT Senior member

This is another great documentary about skinheads(if you haven't seen it):
    [VIDEO][/VIDEO]
    One of the interviewees has tattoos on his forearms. It's kind of hard to spot @ first(I only recognized the tatts when I saw the video in better quality).