• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Little Queenie

Reaction score

Hello Little Queenie  to you and everybody !
i'm Bernie from Italy,i'm original skinhead, i think that i know some members.
Very nice forum, i saw a lot of good pics and a good info.

I was replying to a post by Skinhead69 not Skinhead1969. He is an 'Original' Skinhead!
Hello Bernie, anyway, you must try harder with your English or Alex will get better than you..........

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Allen Edmonds come in Five different widths, each width seem Narrow by comparison to UK sizes so up a width, also go up Half a size, So if you are 10 UK, get 10.5 USA.
Allen Edmonds Shipping is expensive, Also Import Duties, 20% VAT, + Import Duty, In the end you are talking £550 Sterling.
If you bought a pair of Church's Cordovan shoes in the UK cost about £550, So the Allen Edmonds are about the same cost. Its a lot of money to pay out...but they will last a lifetime, Make sure you get Shoe Trees, another £60.
A pair of Royals from the Ivy shop in 69 was £8, my wages back then was £11 per week. Regarding Loake back then hardly anyone would wear them as they was crap, You could tell a pair a mile off. In saying that I have seen Lads wearing them these days and they look ok, But not for me.

I don't remember any other longwings other than the Royals from Squire/Ivy shop in 1969/70. Timpsons eventually started selling them. I paid seven guineas for all my shoes loafers or lace ups. I did search high and low for cheaper longwings but no luck. Kid at school could occasionally get stuff from USAF out Ruislip way.

As regards Allen Edmonds, John Rushton in Wimpole Street stocked his longwings a while back. The calf ones were about £300 if I remember.Interesting video part way down the second link and he is actually wearing them:-

http://www.whatmakesaman.net/wordpress/2011/06/28/john-rushton-classic-english-shoes/

http://www.gentlemansgazette.com/sloop-shoe-o-mast-gianluca-migliarotti-john-rushton/

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't remember any other longwings other than the Royals from Squire/Ivy shop in 1969/70. Timpsons eventually started selling them. I paid seven guineas for all my shoes loafers or lace ups. I did search high and low for cheaper longwings but no luck. Kid at school could occasionally get stuff from USAF out Ruislip way.
As regards Allen Edmonds, John Rushton in Wimpole Street stocked his longwings a while back. The calf ones were about £300 if I remember.Interesting video part way down the second link and he is actually wearing them:-
http://www.whatmakesaman.net/wordpress/2011/06/28/john-rushton-classic-english-shoes/
http://www.gentlemansgazette.com/sloop-shoe-o-mast-gianluca-migliarotti-john-rushton/

Brill Video thanks for putting it up, I must pop in their and see what he's got.

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is my pair of Allen Edmonds Cordovan Longwing Brogues.

IMG_0207-1.jpg

IMG_0208.jpg

London Rudeboy

Reaction score
This is my pair of Allen Edmonds Cordovan Longwing Brogues.

IMG_0207-1.jpg

IMG_0208.jpg

Very nice, I'ver got a pair of Alfred Sargents that are very similar (I always wear English shoes where possible). How much did you have to stump up for them? 'cos I knew AEs aren't cheap.

loempiavreter

Reaction score
Some photo's I've not seen on here before:

A screenshot from the video to promote the latest Straighten up weekender in Barcelona, check it out, nice party if you ever find yourself in barcelona ;)

Does anyone remember/recognize this newspaper cut?

Photo (or screenshot from a video?) from 1970. Courtsey of the lovely lady who runs this blog from everything skinhead-smoothie-early 70s, check it out:
http://the-ballroom-blitz.blogspot.com/

Nantwich 1970

No clue

Because there needs to be more pictures of girls :)

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Brill Video thanks for putting it up, I must pop in their and see what he's got.

Kingstonian,I think you will find that Timpsons were selling the Royals,the same time as the Ivy Shop.I bought mine late `68/early `69-from Timpsons(7gns).Also I have spoken to the Guy many years ago,who was in Partnership with John Simons,and he said it was not unusual he took Stock and made out they were American.Now I can recall there was a rumour at the Time that Simons had done this with the Shoes.Another Rumour of the time was,A Shipment of U.S. Army Officers Shoes ended up in the UK by mistake.Which one is true I do not know.Remember one thing though,the Longwing is known as an a English Brogue,one that the Yanks"adopted".

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree there should be more Pictures of Girls,during the time.Keep looking at Pictures of Fellas,and I will start thinking I am Gay.The only time you looked at Fellas if you wanted Aggro!!!:)

skinhead1969

Reaction score
I was replying to a post by Skinhead69 not Skinhead1969. He is an 'Original' Skinhead!
Hello Bernie, anyway, you must try harder with your English or Alex will get better than you..........

HA HA HA .....how are you ?
Sorry for my mistake! so i saw later that you replyed to skinhead69.
I think that is better if i buy a pair of glasses, than a pair of vintage work boots......

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Kingstonian,I think you will find that Timpsons were selling the Royals,the same time as the Ivy Shop.I bought mine late `68/early `69-from Timpsons(7gns).Also I have spoken to the Guy many years ago,who was in Partnership with John Simons,and he said it was not unusual he took Stock and made out they were American.Now I can recall there was a rumour at the Time that Simons had done this with the Shoes.Another Rumour of the time was,A Shipment of U.S. Army Officers Shoes ended up in the UK by mistake.Which one is true I do not know.Remember one thing though,the Longwing is known as an a English Brogue,one that the Yanks"adopted".

Timpson were a shoe shop chain in those days and not just the shoe repair outfit we see today. I do not remember my local Timpson branch having Royals at the time, but it might have varied by area. I started with The Squire shop then found out about Ivy shop later, source in both cases was school. I did go to Petticoat Lane in the hope of finding cheap longwings. That was probably the best market around at the time. Lots of shoe shops and tailors open as well.

I do not think Royals were sold as American made. Shirts had American labels.

'Cordovan' leather was definitely part of the sales pitch. However, I mostly bought black shoes to wear with a suit. Same as most of the other customers. So the no8 colour,or whatever you want to call it, was not that big a deal. I eventually got a pair of Gibsons that were not black,but they were dark brown rather than number8. Loake Royals seem to only be available in an oxblood colour.

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always thought the Royals Brogue from the Ivy/Squire shop was American style Brogues... as you say J Simons always said they was American, The Long wing Brogue in England is known as a American Brogue, But in the USA they call it a English Brogue ???
I must admit when i wore them in the 60s, I did not know the ins and outs of the shoe.

A good example of a English Brogue is the Church's Grafton.

Last edited:

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just thought i would post this pic of Colin's/Browniecj Royals, As you can see it says Royals.. Made in England,

IMG_0762.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads