Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Its our whole culture that is being lost, Its not only fashion cults it Art in general The Working classes dominated art in the 60s. Whats coming out now is just Middle Class PC shit

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012

2. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

if my repro "original" MA-1 is any indication, it wasnt blanket lined, but it used wool for the ribbing at sleeves/neck/bottom (rather than the cotton used later), as well as a wool interlining in between the outer/inner nylon so it's a very warm jacket, moreso than the later MA-1s. and the lining wasnt the bright orange as everyone knows it as, but self-colored.

3. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Couple of pics of my MA1 Its actually 66 issue.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Kingstonian

Kingstonian Senior member

Good point. 1969 would have been before the Kenyan Asians arrived.

Recently, somebody said to me a drive up to Kingsbury was like a trip to Soweto.

5. buttons

buttons Senior member

A Lad called Snowy put it on FB he is well clued up on anything to do with skinheads and been one for many years, some on here will know him,
    I managed to get hold of a Alpha MA 1 1964 issue last year. The original Alpha was blanket lined ??.
    Whats interesting about my mate he would come up to Kilburn at weekends, He would get off at Charing Cross main line.. cross the square and jump on the old Trafalgar Sq Station, that's where he got chatting to the two skinheads from Chigwell Essex,...who was wearing the MA 1s.. i suppose thats how styles would cross over to different areas. as i said it never caught on with me,[/quote]

Dave Snowy - nice lad, known him for decades.
    Got a few pics of skinheads in MA1s. I've got a mid '60s Alpha one with the orange flip side and heavy wool & cotton inner lining. The yanks did so many variations throughout the 50s and 60s - plenty of collectors books ye can read on the subject. I'm no expert though - just looked at the type the original skinheads had on and bought one of the better ones. Had a couple, early 80s but ditched then (when me balls dropped!). I shied away from them for a long time as they were part of the standard uniform for all Oi! skinheads, wannabe skinheads, scruffy scooter boys and many other low-life types throughout the 80s, 90s and beyond. Bought mine from America then it sat in me wardrobe for years before I could stomach it.

[​IMG]

Note the lad in the front's bomber, short hemmed Levis and army boots, armed with 2 newspapers! Lad behind him in the MA1 with aluminium sleeve pocket zipper, crop and more army boots, as has the one behind him in crombie and off-white sta's. Also note the lad in the background in the dark collared sheepy and half inch crop.

6. Gramps

Gramps Senior member

Fantastic Pics cropping up again. Thanks Lads.

Very informative post too Buttons.

7. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Dave Snowy - nice lad, known him for decades.
    Got a few pics of skinheads in MA1s. I've got a mid '60s Alpha one with the orange flip side and heavy wool & cotton inner lining. The yanks did so many variations throughout the 50s and 60s - plenty of collectors books ye can read on the subject. I'm no expert though - just looked at the type the original skinheads had on and bought one of the better ones. Had a couple, early 80s but ditched then (when me balls dropped!). I shied away from them for a long time as they were part of the standard uniform for all Oi! skinheads, wannabe skinheads, scruffy scooter boys and many other low-life types throughout the 80s, 90s and beyond. Bought mine from America then it sat in me wardrobe for years before I could stomach it.
    [​IMG]
    Note the lad in the front's bomber, short hemmed Levis and army boots, armed with 2 newspapers! Lad behind him in the MA1 with aluminium sleeve pocket zipper, crop and more army boots, as has the one behind him in crombie and off-white sta's. Also note the lad in the background in the dark collared sheepy and half inch crop.[/quote]

Quote from Roy

The British Army never did high leg Boots, until the Mid 80s The lad with the rolled up papers ..looks like he is wearing American Jungle boots, Blacking out the Side panels that was nylon material, could be wrong.??

Yes Dave is a nice Lad, I see him often at London Doos.

8. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Quote from Roy

The British Army never did high leg Boots, until the Mid 80s The lad with the rolled up papers ..looks like he is wearing American Jungle boots, Blacking out the Side panels that was nylon material, could be wrong.??
    Yes Dave is a nice Lad, I see him often at London Doos.[/quote]

9. el norte

el norte Active Member

Got me confused that pic. If they're proper Barrow lads they wouldn't be wearing red & white scarves.

They look scruffy enough to be from up my neck of the woods mind [​IMG]

10. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Good point Buttons associating the MA1 with later Bone Heads, To me its just a brill bit of kit. I was thinking the other day the MA1 With Jungle Greens would look cool, has anyone seen that, ? bit Military looking though,:)

11. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

In late 1969, I had an 'antique' leather jacket in the same style. (But not a branded one.) I'd swopped it for a Levi denim and some money, can't remember how much. Some sod knocked it off from a park, as we kicked a ball about on a Sunday a few months' later. :censored:

12. buttons

buttons Senior member

Good point Buttons associating the MA1 with later Bone Heads, To me its just a brill bit of kit. I was thinking the other day the MA1 With Jungle Greens would look cool, has anyone seen that, ? bit Military looking though,

I wear both items but don't think I could do them together - too soldier looking for my liking. Can't think of any pics of them being worn together but I'll have a look.
    As for high top army boots, seen a lot of skinheads wearing these - are they not British issue?

[​IMG]

I got this out of a library book about '85 (although its commonly seen on various websites now) wit the quote "skinheads waiting for pub to open, 1970", although I'd say its '69 - that lad on the left is in a few of the old pics. I'm guessing though with army boots, it depends on what your local army navy store stocked - some would have ex British army, some would have all kinds of wierd stuff.

13. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

My Cousins live in Leighton Buzzard Bedfordshire, Yep about 40 Miles outside London and in the 60s, might as well been Mars, I was in a Disco their with my Cousin in 70 maybe , people was coming up to me asking about the cloths i wore,.. backward cnuts, :D

Little places like that are more often way behind inner Cities, Its like life just passes them by ,:D

14. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

As i said Ed The British Army only started to wear High leg boots mid 1980s, Back in the 60s their was loads of Army Surplus stores that stocked American Army kit, This was due to Nato, So American Boots was available, In saying that most the boots we wore in the 60s was not really high leg.
    It was down really to what your local Army surplus had in stock, these places was often Gold mines for stuff. :)

15. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

From a French website, said London 1971... ?

[​IMG]