• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Ed Vaughan

Reaction score

...and was it the same in your day - to get in, did a group of blokes have to split up and go in with a girl just to get past the bouncers? :D
Great site that Manchesterbeat, thanks Ed.

Oh yeah - and now I look like a group of blokes when I'm on my own (see image).

bunty

Reaction score
Behave yerself, I thought you looked uncannily like Eric Cantona :happy:

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

...and was it the same in your day - to get in, did a group of blokes have to split up and go in with a girl just to get past the bouncers? :D
Great site that Manchesterbeat, thanks Ed.

All the time, Lads would split up and find a girl to link up with to get in, Bouncers was cnuts back then... bullies bullying around what was just kids, Now and again the bouncers would come unstuck, and get themselves a hiding.
Their was a group of Bouncers around NW London that would Bounce in a few discos, One night they tried to throw one of the lads out, what they did not know it was full of Kilburn and Hendon, They got such a kicking that they was never seen bouncing on doors again, :D

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

All the time, Lads would split up and find a girl to link up with to get in, Bouncers was cnuts back then... bullies bullying around what was just kids, Now and again the bouncers would come unstuck, and get themselves a hiding.
Their was a group of Bouncers around NW London that would Bounce in a few discos, One night they tried to throw one of the lads out, what they did not know it was full of Kilburn and Hendon, They got such a kicking that they was never seen bouncing on doors again, :D

I remember in the late 70s,Doormen from the Tottenham Royal came to Ilford-got far as the" Room At The Top".Bouncers wanted to prove themselves-but a lot of the time they would hide,if real Aggro started.Dragged more than one out of the Toilets over the years!:)

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Regarding Clubs, in London we did not go to clubs as such, it was a Disco, Pubs would see they could make money from the Skinhead fashion and would hold Disco's, these only lasted for a short time because of the aggro caused, Places like the Tottenham Royal and The Lyceum was Dance Halls that would have nights for Teenagers.
Clubs as in Working class clubs was a Northern thing and far superior than anything in London.

There was a pub over the road and a bit along from the Savoy Rooms in Catford. Some of us would go over there when we got fed up of drinking coke. We'd pop over for a light-and-bitter or something. The landlord eventually barred anyone who looked a bit skinhead-ish because a lot of the clientele at the savoy were under age to drink. I remember giving the barman an argument when he tried not to serve me and I did get served.

bunty

Reaction score
Got to go lads, the Fuehrer's just got back from Tescos and I should be painting....:)

^ Great photo MoM, they look cracking together.

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Bouncers were alright in the Plaza.Helped us out a few times if a rival Mob came over.Had to go to the Pub though,for a Beer-non Alcoholic Bar in the Club.

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only real power bouncers had was not letting you in, once we was in we had the power......:D,:D

PxC

Reaction score
From what I've read, the sharpies did begin before skinheads (late 50's even), but their style changed over time and by the late 60's they probably were influenced by skinheads coming in from the UK. These mid 60's sharpies look quite different from the 70's ones, who look like a strange mix between skinheads, glam and some sort of redneck.
Also, there are newspaper articles from the early 70's about sharpies where they're called skinheads, which is another evidence of the UK influence on the cult over the years.

I've always thought that Sharpies were Australia's take on skinhead but this video says different
[VIDEO][/VIDEO]
I'm wondering now how did sharpies come about since it seems that they were there before skinheads. I know this has little to do with the Original skinheads but thought I put the vid up since it's still interesting :)

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dont really know anything about Australian sharpies, But when you think of it their was mass immigration to Oz in the 50s/60, from the UK so they would have had a influence over Australian Teenagers, even today the majority of Australians come from Britain.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads