Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

No, not as such... maybe some nylon - cuffs/collar - but ostensibly cotton. (I could be wrong.)

2. dopeman

dopeman Active Member

I saw a clip of Mods fighting (clacton? in 1964) the other day. One was wearing a similar jacket to the one here (reigning champ one)- but without the shawl collar. Looked like a standard 'monkey' jacket- two stripes on collar and cuff/two slant pockets, BUT it was defo made from sweatshirt material-like one above. was black and white footage-but looked darker than grey-blue perhaps?
    Anyone else remember mods or later skins wearing these or what they were?
    The clip was on that nostalgia show with Suggs btw(also one about teddy boys-this one was mods and rockers).

3. bunty

bunty Senior member

That's the type of jacket, often with a 'Y' (for Yale) or another letter sewn on that Mods wore - so, I'm told (I can't find any photos though) Jumpers and cardis too.

I only remember 70s/80s Rockabillies wearing things like that, two colours with the letters 'USA' stitched on, always liked them, would never have dared wear one though :D

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012

4. bunty

bunty Senior member

I saw a clip of Mods fighting (clacton? in 1964) the other day. One was wearing a similar jacket to the one here (reigning champ one)- but without the shawl collar. Looked like a standard 'monkey' jacket- two stripes on collar and cuff/two slant pockets, BUT it was defo made from sweatshirt material-like one above. was black and white footage-but looked darker than grey-blue perhaps?
    Anyone else remember mods or later skins wearing these or what they were?
    The clip was on that nostalgia show with Suggs btw(also one about teddy boys-this one was mods and rockers).
    [/quote

This one mate?

[​IMG]

From 'The Sad Old Geezer 60s Photo Collection' :)

5. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Rail fare London to York Return, Advanced booking, 19th May, £23.25. Cant get better than that,
    Hotel booked .

6. dopeman

dopeman Active Member

Could very well be! Well spotted!
    It was a video-but this looks like a still from it. In the film you can defo see its fleece sweatshirt material.

7. loempiavreter

loempiavreter Senior member

What you would call surfer jackets, you can find one easily these days. Although for a steep price then they should actually cost. A.P.C. makes a lot of these type of jackets, just look for APC. Bomber jacket, but like I said overpriced for made in china stuff. M-o-M calls them surfer jacket as well wonder how widespead it was, kinda funny to see the Beach Boys influence in all this :p

Is it all because of this promo image of the beach boys?
    [​IMG]

Yellow one worn by a Mod in 1964
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And of course one of bunty's bro friends (down - right) in 1968 in an earlier post:
    [​IMG]

8. loempiavreter

loempiavreter Senior member

Could you post the link to this particular video?

9. dopeman

dopeman Active Member

10. soundsnpressure

soundsnpressure Senior member

The Brutus Trimfit facebook page, now features this recent photo ;)

[​IMG]

Along with 'Buttons's' Very informative Comments.

Just goes to show, this thread is very far reaching and very influential. Even if we ain't all from Landon ;)

11. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

There has been a lot of Stuff that has been written,then copied on other Sites.It is not the fact of People come from different Areas-it is because they know what they are talking about.For me it is interesting to hear(and looking at the Photos posted) from Originals in other Parts.I did "Up West" etc.,but Clubs like the "Twisted Wheel","Mojos" and others hold a fascination for me.If I would be honest here,not all the Clubs in London were that great!I went to some dire Dives(only once though).

12. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Regarding Clubs, in London we did not go to clubs as such, it was a Disco, Pubs would see they could make money from the Skinhead fashion and would hold Disco's, these only lasted for a short time because of the aggro caused, Places like the Tottenham Royal and The Lyceum was Dance Halls that would have nights for Teenagers.
    Clubs as in Working class clubs was a Northern thing and far superior than anything in London.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012

13. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

I can only speak for me but, IIRC, around south Manchester, many of the 'clubs' (for the younger element like me 13-16), were usually in church halls, above shops (Co-op stores often had a small hall above them) and there would always be aggro after they closed at night. :nodding:

Usual stuff, 'what are you looking at?'

'You sniffing after my bird?'

"You're not from round here, are you?' - everyday, run-of-the-mill, dust-ups. :satisfied:

Of course, they were really what should have been called 'junior discos', and, when we could grow proper sideburns... they'd get the elbow in favour of pub discos and real clubs.

In my young, pre-booze days, I'd go to Bernadettes, Edwards, Browns (Splinters), Kent's, or the fabulously named, 'Pop-In'-... dizzy, heady stuff. (yeh, right!):D

At 16, and in work, I'd go to Top-of-the Town, Takis, (Rownrtrees) Spring Gardens, or (Rowntrees) Sound. All fairly happy to have skins and (later) suadeheads... but no DMs.

Then there was Belle Vue, New Century Hall (CIS with bouncing floor), and the RITZ!!! (Where, in 70/71, you could get the Radio 1 club live (lunchtime), and people would skip work to go.)

Did the Twisted Wheel a few times... very grown-up for me at 16, but I loved it and was incredibly sad when it closed. (Not really a skinhead venue, either.)

Happy days. :)

Edit: Looking for pics of some of the venues mentioned above, I found this: http://www.manchesterbeat.com/venues/manchester_cbd/rowntrees/rowntrees.php

14. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Good post Ed, Yes before we started to drink alcohol, it was the Youth club or Church that held a Disco, Also some local Pictures,/ Cinema's like the Top Rank chain. had a disco before Saturday morning Pictures, :D
    Going back to clubs, Night clubs, Skinheads in 69 would not dream of going to a Night club, One it was to us sleezy, and Two we was just to young, in saying that even as i got older 19/21 I still did not go to Night Clubs.

Just got to add, Night Clubs as in the West End of London. Which would be full of Druggies, Weirdos and Tourist,:D

15. bunty

bunty Senior member

...and was it the same in your day - to get in, did a group of blokes have to split up and go in with a girl just to get past the bouncers? :D

Great site that Manchesterbeat, thanks Ed.