1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Cross between Bowie and Skinhead.:)

2. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
  3. Basset

Basset Senior member

That would be a zighead then [​IMG], theres a few other clips on youtube of the band circa 75 with lowe wearing boots, jeans with turnups, early weller style haircut, denim jacket etc, its a bit of a wade and most of the tracks are crap, theres a couple of him playing in rockpile still wearing button downs, denim, bout 79 i think, just found it interesting sort of like a link between the period im interested in now and a time when music and fashion came on the radar for me if that makes sense. Thanks for all the welcomes

4. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

Hi Mate - good to hear from you.

Reading of the characters you obviously know, on here, there's no point in me advising you to stay away from bad company. :satisfied: :satisfied:

5. Basset

Basset Senior member

Im afraid its to late for me [​IMG]

6. buttons

buttons Senior member

Too late for that my friend. We've already got him well corrupted!

7. ek77

ek77 Senior member

what about that one??

[​IMG]

8. Jam74

Jam74 Member

Great to see so many original skinhead pics. Not to mention some of people posting here are original skins! Thats something I always wondered about as a skin in the US. What the original skins were really like, and how they dressed etc. Took 20 years but I can finally see now :) gotta love the internet LoL

So did skins really develop from the mod scene? Was it 68-69?

9. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

It started to develop in `67(we were still Mods)-with the no.4 on top,then progressed through to `69 when the Media called us Skinheads.

10. soundsnpressure

soundsnpressure Senior member

Cheers.
    I weren't sure if there was any technical or gender relevance to this zipper thing. Seems it makes no odds.

11. soundsnpressure

I think I stole it of this forum mate, Any cool pics I find I tend to put in one of my photo folders.

I've read that 'Boys Story' novel, that another photo of that lad apperas on.
    It's a wee bit cheesy, but some of the clobber descriptions seem authentic.

12. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

Except that the picture of me is from 1969.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
  13. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

FWIW: just spent three hours reading all of the thread again... I'd missed so much when I originally skimmed the forum - brilliant stuff.

Ta.

14. soundsnpressure

15. bunty

bunty Senior member

Hello Basset - Great clip, thanks for posting. Brownie beat me to it with the Bowie/Skinhead quote, I was gonna say 'Aladdin Braces'. The following photos are not for the purists with a nervous disposition.......:D... Jesse Hector (Formerly of 60s bands The Way of Life, The Mod Section and Crushed Butler) Photographed in 1970 fronting the Hammersmith Gorillas. An ex Mod/Skinhead's look, more 'honest' than Slade's attempt I reckon. [​IMG] [​IMG] Building up a good collection of 'Mods in Front of Caravans' photos, a few more here-http://www.flickr.com/groups/22014941@N00/pool/ Working on a 'Boot Boys'n'Bed and Breakfasts' collection too.

16. Raff72

Raff72 Active Member

Can't remember if I've asked this in this thread or not but does anyone have any info on a novel called Aggro?? I found a copy of it years ago (can't find it again unfortunately) and it was basically a Richard Allen style book but written by someone who seemed to be a bit more knowledgable on the subject. The main character got around in legit skinhead gear and hung around in reggae clubs. From memory the storyline had something to do with the British Movement or NF weaseling their way into the skinhead scene. It was a total pulp novel but written pretty well.

17. buttons

buttons Senior member

Just a thought Bunty but assuming the 2 pics are from a very similar time (as his hair is the same, I would be very doubtful if this was 1970.
    The two tone clumpy shoes could be various things but unless they were tailored, I think ye'd struggle buying them ruperts in '70. And the suit jacket in the second pic - very typical '73 lapel (late '72 at the earliest).

And I love a pair of big sideboards but they're a bit much for my liking!

18. bunty

bunty Senior member

Funny you should say that Buttons..... the lapels didn't look '70 to me either....but I thought 'Nah, Paolo Hewitt wouldn't get his dates wrong in his carefully researched book* ' :D

*The A to Z of Mod by P H and Mark Baxter. (Missing out a big chunk in 'S' )

19. Basset

Basset Senior member

Good pics Bunty, always good to see pics showing how things were changing, blimey those burns are epic, dont want to move to far off topic, ruperts definately around 71, i think i might have the ones in this vid in me wardrobe [​IMG] 3.50 in i think

20. buttons

buttons Senior member

Ha ha, as if Mr H would get a detail like that wrong!

1 person likes this.