Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. London Rudeboy

London Rudeboy Senior member

Correct, although I must say that I don't think I heard them being called polo shirts until the late 90s, when I first noticed a sign above a rail of Fred Perry's in Sweden, that stated "Fred Perry polo tröjor"
    (tröjor = tops)

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012

2. Brideshead

Brideshead Senior member

Just into belts really.

Self supporting trousers on suits were the thing back in the day (obviously) and smart separate trousers were the same . Braces for jeans (but I tried to avoid them when I could). So it was not untill the early 70s that I had to confront belts and it was difficult to embrace them.

3. London Rudeboy

On the braces debate, I've never worn them with jeans or slacks. The only time I've ever worn braces is with a dinner suit, without belt of course.

4. loempiavreter

loempiavreter Senior member

(click to enlarge)
    [​IMG]

There's a online comic that's usually chronicling the life mod revival in germany mid 80s, but in the latest chapter they transported to the late 60s of england for some reason (as back in mid 80s the main character turns his back on mod and becomes a skinhead, this chapter is meant to be an introduction to the cult). Might not be accurate at times (any of you guys ever wore a scarf like that fella on the front row, second from left?), but hey at least they he didn't draw you in tight trousers and a bald shiny head ;)

The skinhead chapter starts about here:
    http://www.fahrradmod.de/en/comics-en/page-102-royal-charley/

5. London Rudeboy

That type of scarf wearing with a pashmina knot is very much a product of the 21st century.

6. Darksideoftheforce

Darksideoftheforce Well-Known Member

Can't speak for Florida, but LA has a pretty warm climate, not as warm as Florida, but warm. Obviously you can't wear crombies all the time here, where even a light FP sweater can become uncomfortable throughout the day. (we've had an especially warm winter this year) I personally look forward to cold weather as it gives me a reason to wear my best skinhead clobber. In LA imo we're not blessed with a climate for good skinhead fashion, those being designed for chilly English weather. A crombie, and scarf in 75 degree weather looks out of place here. Normally its just a short sleeve bs button down for me, jeans or staprest or an FP shirt and a pair of brogues as summer wear.

7. Brideshead

Brideshead Senior member

Yes, its a bit hazy for me too and will do some more research....

8. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

60s Bespoke suit Trousers came with zipped side adjusters, which you cannot get these days... Even Henry Poole don't do them, Now days they are simple sliding buckle, or buttoned side adjusters.

9. bunty

bunty Senior member

That was great reading, thanks Roy.

' ....armed with air pistols..' How quaint :D
    (I hate to think what the kids are armed with these days)

10. Gramps

Gramps Senior member

I think you're missing the point a little here, no one is calling them a polo neck at all, but Polo shirt. Theres a Huge difference.

Dont know of many Enlgish men who call trousers Slacks (and Pants too) though, I think thats very much another one of those americanisations thats crept into our language.

11. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

I think you will find half the members on here are our American Cousins.:)

12. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Its funny really.Started off hating the Hippies,then ended up having a drink with them,in the Students Union Bar,Surrey University.No animosity between us-even one of my Mates had a Hippy Girlfriend.Totally different from the start of `69,when we "gatecrashed" their Parties or helped them to dance(by throwing lighted Cigarettes under their bare-feet).The arrival of the Hells Angels changed all that.Suddenly they were No.1 Enemy.:)

13. Gramps

Gramps Senior member

Full cousins or second cousins twice removed ;)

Yeah I know Roy, just sounds strange when us Brits use American Slang. Perhaps not as strange as hearing our "cousins" saying "why aye lad" or "apples and pears Guv"

14. buttons

buttons Senior member

I may be wrong here, but certainly where I grew up, the word "top" was never used to describe a shirt until some time in the 80s.
    There was a track suit top and a bakini top, but you wouldn't have called a shirt a top.
    Hate hearing it now, in a skinhead sense. Almost as bad as calling summet wicked (unless its a Witch!).

15. Gramps

Gramps Senior member

That'll teach me to type in haste Buttons..... sometimes feel like youve got to just get your response on, lol.

Suitably changed :)

Bakini eh, write it how is sounds Marra ;)

As a kid i though roll neck (or turtle neck) were called Polar neck, not Polo!!!! Must be named after the mint with the hole, not the bear with the fur !