Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Gramps

Gramps Senior member

I think that would be better described as Bad Skinhead Clothes on an EMO.

2. buttons

buttons Senior member

No detail on the picture I'm afraid. There's another goes with it that I can't find just now but the lad taking the picture is wearing a check Brutus, so its late 69 I'd say. If it wasn't for the check shirt, I'd have said earlier that year, based on what they're all wearing - very back end of mod, including the bird. Bovver boots but no crop yet, plain button down, Smedley etc

3. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Please remove that awful pic off this thread, its lowering the standards , :D

4. buttons

buttons Senior member

Ferkin terrible! And nowt to do with what we're talking about.
    Got plenty of bad pictures of 80s boneheads with braces dangling (which I'm not posting) but this is much worse.

Speaking of the dangley braces though, I had heard of it from original times but never seen a picture and never spoke to anyone who mentioned it with fond memories. I'm assuming a fashion statement that came and went fast. Very far flung from the understated cool that was mentioned earlier. Anyone remember a time when it was a good thing? Either way, I can't say I approve, but I'm always interested to hear how it was.

5. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

I have said this before and Colin said it again today, Braces was worn for a very short time. Although i wore them , i only remember once physically putting a pair on when i put a suit on, It was one of those items that was worn without thinking if that makes sense.
    Wearing braces dangling down, do not get that, whats the point?

6. Darksideoftheforce

Darksideoftheforce Well-Known Member

I can honestly say now I've seen everything. Skinhead clobber on EMO. What's next? crombies, and brogues on chavs?

Ferkin terrible! And nowt to do with what we're talking about.
    Got plenty of bad pictures of 80s boneheads with braces dangling (which I'm not posting) but this is much worse.

7. Darksideoftheforce

For me personally, braces have a more functional appeal as much as fashion, as my jeans tend to fit loose at the waste, I prefer braces over belts to keep them up and as mentioned before, it makes the lose trousers hang better when wearing a jacket.
    On more self supporting trousers, I don't even bother wearing braces.

8. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Interesting point, Wearing braces as a skinhead was a fashion statement , if you look at some pics of original skinheads a lot of the time the braces was pulling up the Jeans/Sta-press around the bollocks, which is not functional. and painful , :D
    Braces was invented so as to allow the trousers to hang correct, And thats why i remember putting braces on adjusting them so as to get me trousers to hang right.

Just to add what you said, i think jeans look better without Braces or Belts, Think thats what Levis shrink to fit was all about ??., :)

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  9. Darksideoftheforce

Good point on the shrink to fits. Is it just me or are the shrink to fits nowadays looser fitting than before and wider legged too? Comparing my more recent shrink to fits to my older shrink to fits it seems like the more recent ones tend to fit looser and wider at the legs too, no matter how many times you wash them. Not that I'm complaining. It was discussed before, original skinheads preferred to wear their jeans baggier than 80s skinheads. and I must confess in my early Oi skin days, pictures of English Oi bands with tight fitting jeans was the thing to emulate. Now older and wiser, the original 60s skinhead has become standard for me, or atleast I try. :cool:

10. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

Levis StF jeans undergo a pattern change every few years, probably to follow whatever the current fashion trend happens to be (baggier or slimmer)

The 501 StF from a couple years ago fit slimmer than they had been for many years. I just bought a buddy in Japan some 501s to take to him on my last trip and I was surprised how thin the denim is on the current jeans. :(

as for braces, I do like them as functional gear....sometimes trousers, even when properly sized at waist, will want to sag at the back throughout day's moving around and I find braces do a good job with keeping them straight. like roy mentioned, I would mostly wear braces with a suit, and no one would know I'm wearing braces since I rarely take my jacket off when suited up

11. Darksideoftheforce

Thanks for that bit of info Jason. For years I had stopped buying STF and had only recently bought a new pair and was surprised how loose fitting it was even after so many washes. Now I know.

As for braces, I'm of the same opinion on them, both functional and fashion statement.

12. herzzreh

herzzreh Senior member

What did people wear in warmer climates like Florida?

13. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Waiting outside of a Shop,yesterday,and a 2012 version of the 80 Style Skinhead went past-tight Jeans,High Legged Boots,Harrington that was close fitting,a flat cap and Braces around his backside.He thught he looked good!!!:)

14. Kingstonian

Kingstonian Senior member

Thanks. That is a very good site for all sorts of London stories. I had not seen this one before though.

I do not remember the squat though I do remember the free Stones concert was a very big deal at school. My time in those days was mostly spent in outer London, not uptown.

15. London Rudeboy

London Rudeboy Senior member

Apart form the US BB history of the polo shirt, what you say about the UK and tennis shirts is incorrect in my opinion, based on my experience and observations. That form of shirt is still worn by many to play tennis in and still manufactured by many brands as a tennis shirt. Also as late as the mid-90s when I left England M & S were still selling them as "tennis shirts". In all my years in London I never heard a single person call them anything but tennis shirts. A polo shirt was something completely different, i.e. it was a long sleeved shirt with a round neck called a polo neck. And those were also sold in M & S in the 90s as polo neck shirts. Like this: http://www.suitstoboot.co.uk/suits/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=29836
    In the 70s I wore polo necks like that quite often under a blazer.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012