Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Gramps

Gramps Senior member

Also, am I the only person for whom the word Trad, makes their skin crawl ;)

Make me think of Jaaazzzzzzz Club..................Nice.

Roy, are us Northerners classed as Foreign ?

You sotherners are to Us ;)

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012

2. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Anyone outside London mate, :D:, :D

3. Gramps

Gramps Senior member

That sounds about right mate.

Anyone south of Teesside are Cockneys, and anyone north of the Tyne is Scottish. Thats my Map and Im sticking to it!!!

4. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

I hated Northerners when I was a Skinhead going to Chelsea FC in the 60s/70s, Just like Northerners hated Londoners, Years later when i was in the Army some of my best mates was from the North,
    I was chatting to a Staffordshire Regt Lad once ...and told him how Chelsea came unstuck at Stoke, He said Roy in Staffordshire the Dogs are hard... the People are hard... and the Bricks are hard , :D

5. Warden

Warden Member

Good or bad.........but its me

6. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

I meant "here" - damn it, my spelling's getting as bad as Brownie's. ha ha![/quote]

Thanks Mate!:D

7. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

I went to Bilboa about 5/6 years ago.Saw Skinheads and Mods-and I can say ,the Spanish have an eye for detail!Well done!:)

8. buttons

buttons Senior member

There's a handful of Italian skinheads who are around on the modern day scene, who although a little mixed up at times, make a good effort on the original style - all dead keen as they haven't fell into that 'can't be arsed any more' indifferent attitude of many of their English forebearers.

I used to be with Gramps on the map idea, but now I've mellowed a little (but only a little!).

9. London Rudeboy

London Rudeboy Senior member

Yes, however in the UK, they were and are still called tennis shirts by many people, Fred Perry was an English tennis player (the only one ever to have own Wimbledon by the way) and that syle of shirt came from the tennis courts. Until recently, last decade or so when people for some unknown reason (perhaps Ralph Lauren) have started calling them polo shirts in the UK as well. A polo shirt is quite different and a polo neck shirt isn't even in the same universe as a tennis shirt [​IMG]

Well, I never saw it as a kid, I never saw it on Skins in the 80s in England either. First time I saw it was in the 90s, when American ska-punkers were guilty of it, and various fashion houses and mags used it as a "look" for their models quite often in the 90s and 00s. None of my crew in Sweden do it, in fact I've never seen a skinhead of my acquaintance in Sweden wearing braces with a tennis shirt. I have seen some young skins at festivals in Sweden doing it, but more often than not with the braces hanging down rather than being used.

We need 1960s or 1970s photo evidence [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012

10. London Rudeboy

London Rudeboy Senior member

Yes, I've seen that too both UK and Sweden! Very odd.

11. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

I did see people wearing braces over a tennis shirt back in the day, but not too often.

12. buttons

buttons Senior member

The term "polo shirt" originally referred to the style of shirt commonly wore for playing polo. This was a button up men's shirt with straight collar. To stop the collars flapping around during the game, they were buttoned down. Not sure if it was his idea but John Brooks (of Brooks Brothers) started producing such a shirt in the 1890s (the predecessor to the ever popular late 60s staple of the mods and later skinheads). Now, some time after that (late 40s, early 50s I think) what were previously known as "tennis whites" were universally known as the "Polo Shirt", which described a pop-over collared shirt with short sleeves. Since then (and certainly by the time skinheads were established, it has been more common to describe the Fred Perry style shirt (for want of a better description) as a Polo. The name polo later stuck for the pop-over collared effect, whether it was 2, 3, 4 etc buttons, long sleeved or short.
    Since then Ralph Lauren and various others have used the word polo prominantly in their ads and the likes but it wasn't their invention - just using an already established mantra.

Also, mods have been wearing Fred Perrys since about '63, so by the time 'skinheads' were wearing them in '68, they were very little to do with tennis and much more to do with fashion. A smart and very versatile shirt in my opinion - wear it on the beach with your cut offs, during the day with jeans or sta press and still respectable on the dance floor at The Wheel.

I'll post some pictures when I get time.

13. Brideshead

Brideshead Senior member

A bit more on the birth of the tennis / polo shirt. Rene Lacoste, winner of seven Grand Slam titles first wore a short sleeved shirt in breathable cotton known as jersey petit pique with an unstarched collar in the late 1920s. In 1933 he joined forces with knitwear manufacturer Andre Gillier and the shirt went into production. By then it had already been adopted by polo players in the United States. After the war Fred Perry obviously followed a similar path launching his own line with the victory laurel device.

I personally cannot remember what we used to call them in the late 60s. I think I would have said a 'Fred Perry' as that was certainly the dominant brand. But braces over them - never. I always hated braces anyway and only rarely wore them.

14. Brideshead

Brideshead Senior member

It is worth remembering that in the early 70s when we all started dressing in the 'French Cut' style the word polo was applied to a shetland wool turtle or roll neck jumper - which became an indispensible part of the look.

So it must be the case (here at least) that polo was not a tag applied to tennis shirts until the 80s.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012

15. buttons

buttons Senior member

Thanks for filling in a few gaps Brideshead.
    Braces seems a very contentious subject. I've spoken to some old skinheads who say they wore braces with everything, right through Smoothie to soul boy. Others weren't that keen. I think it was very much part of the 'skinhead uniform' of '69, along with cropped hair, so for a brief time was a must for creating a certain image.
    Outside of that, they were worn by mods in the 60's to aid trouser hold up but also as a fashion statement. Different areas favoured them over others (as with most things).
    If I was to attach all the skinhead pictures I've got with braces, I'd be here all day.

Back to the polo - a commonly used expression as it also applies to the polo kneck sweater (or roll kneck as some would say). And as I mentioned earlier has also been tagged to button downs, pop overs, tennis shirts, Smedley style shirts etc.

Couple of snaps of Freds 'n' braces from '68, '69 and '70-71 I believe.....
    [ATTACHMENT=2223]38842478949439347611774.JPG (128k. JPG file)[/ATTACHMENT]
    [ATTACHMENT=2224]blue fred.jpg (40k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]
    [ATTACHMENT=2225]skinhead gang in pub.bmp (107k. bmp file)[/ATTACHMENT]

i've probably got some more somewhere but that's all I could find whilst eating me bait.