Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Working Stiff

Working Stiff Senior member

^Agreed. I had to do this, and it''s working out fine (though I do think they crease a bit funny when they don't really fit right)

2. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

The only problem being that a size 9 DM looks like a canal barge on me!

3. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

[​IMG]
    another old pic of Slade, dont think it's been here before

4. London Rudeboy

London Rudeboy Senior member

I also like this mono brown boot, because it looks rather smart & could double as smart footwear.
    http://store.drmartens.co.uk/p-7084-dr-martens-1460-boot.aspx

Or this brown Solovair Hawkins

http://britboot.co.uk/engine/shop/p...awkins"+Brown+Greasy+Leather+Boot+(11+Eyelet)

And here's the one pair of Solovairs I've got, the Highlander. Had them 30 years now and they're still going strong, vert soft leather, very comfortable. They've pounded out many miles on the streets of London and through the military exercise fields of Sweden.

http://britboot.co.uk/engine/shop/p...k+Leather+Boot+With+Steel+Toe+Cap+(11+Eyelet)

My Solovair Highlanders in action [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012

5. London Rudeboy

London Rudeboy Senior member

On a very different subject, here a few things I've noticed on young trad skinheads of the 90s and 00s that I never saw in the 70s.

1. Braces with tennis shirts
    2. Belts and braces together
    3 Black jeans
    4. Bleachers - the first time I saw bleachers was on punk-sknheads in the 80s, and then again on young trads in Sweden in the 00s.
    5. Top button done up on a checked long-sleeved shirt - I've seen current trads both in UK and Sweden doing this

6. And this last one is a very general one but for Sweden only, very, very few, perhaps as little as 5% of current trads in Sweden own any of the following: a suit, a pair of brogues, a pair of loafers, a crombie.

Over here both daywear and going out/evening clobber is the same: boots,jeans,Harrington.

6. OHT

OHT Senior member

I don't think I've seen that(#2) but I have seen few, very few, that have worn really... REALLY thick braces :freeze:

I believe for #4 it has been stated that it was done back in the original skinhead days but by accident when trying to fade jeans.

7. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

That certainly was the case with at least one of my pairs of Levis back in the day.

8. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

Me too - despite deliberately 'headlighting' a pair - and I rubbed holes in another pair with sandpaper. :brick:

And at 53 shillings - or £2.65p (I think) - that was expensive for a schoolboy.

Then there was sleeveless (long) cardigans... christ, I'd forgotten about those - and fair Isle, sleeveless, v-necks. (In Manchester, anyway.) :)

9. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Tried Bleaching my Levis,once.After that it was wadeing out to Sea-with a Brand new Pair(whenever we went to the I.O.W.,which from Aug.`69 was every Bank Holiday).:)

Liked the DMs,though I would not wear them now.

10. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

1. guilty of this in early 90s. not since
    2. thankfully NEVER done this. the look of a true muppet
    3. never got into black jeans, just black staprest.
    4. NEVER done this!! for a good laugh check out this site, but you've been warned!! haha http://bleachers.co.uk/
    5. i think this is a residual effect of skinhead/mod crossing paths, since i always thought of buttoning to top as a "mod revival" look
    6. i have enough brogues, loafers, suits and crombies to make up for all the gents who do not!

11. Gramps

Gramps Senior member

Is it just me that doesnt like any of them Boots?

By Tennis Shirts, are you refering to Fred Perry Polo's? Is then Guilty as Charged, ***but I would dispute that this wasnt done originally,***

Belt and Braces... oooh Nasty, more of a bonehead thing when Ive seen it, same goes for black jeans.

Bleached Jeans... again see above *** (Depnding on styling of Bleached effect, some just looks awful, especially when combined with them being Skin Tight or tapered, and Too short)

Top button done up, winds me up on a Shirt, dont know where this came from, probably just ill educated on the scene, either that or dont really care. (although I ahve one Mod friend who does it on purpose, because he knows it will bug me all night)

I'd find it very strage tha people who would class themselves as Traditional would not own at least a decent pair of shoes, maybe its just another regional thing, wouldnt even know how many skinheads there was in sweden, so havent a clue how many 5% is.

Still very jaded along the Ruperts side of things.

12. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

I have seen skinheads at present day doos wearing DM Boots with suits, Whats that all about.???, :confused:

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012

13. buttons

buttons Senior member

For the non-skinheads, I think its of little consequence (to this thread) whether you wore or didn't wear a particular item.
    My mother never wore braces with her Fred Perrys .. but that's cos she was just some woman ... in a Fred Perry.
    Various pictures of original 'skinheads' from '68 to '71 in Fred Perry polos and braces, plenty without as well.

If ye read back in this thread, there's a bit about 60's bleached jeans, worn by 60s mods and skinheads, George Harrison, Paul McCartney etc. Plenty of pics around and far from unheard of. All part of the quest to make you're jeans look well worn in before their time.

Can't think of anyone except the truly clueless (and that pic of Noddy Holder in his plain oxford cloth button down) with the top button done up (without a tie), nowadays (so called English trad skinheads) or otherwise.

Never been to Sweden, but I can't say I'm surprised their skinheads are doing it differently to what they did hear in the 60s. Not knocking all foreign skinheads but most I've seen have a very different agenda.

14. buttons

buttons Senior member

Never been to Sweden, but I can't say I'm surprised their skinheads are doing it differently to what they did hear in the 60s. Not knocking all foreign skinheads but most I've seen have a very different agenda.[/quote]

I meant "here" - damn it, my spelling's getting as bad as Brownie's. ha ha!

15. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

The only foreign Skinheads i have seen at doos who dress the part are the Spanish, Well smart. :)