Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Brideshead

Brideshead Senior member

Welcome Akatorii

'Although my "skinhead" phase lasted only a few years, I've always incorporated some elements of the style into my wardrobe. '

That is the sensible solution in my view. Always use it as a benchmark and you cannot go far wrong.

2. London Rudeboy

London Rudeboy Senior member

Very true. On Friday at work a very good friend of mine, an old Mod actually, was wearing a t-shirt under a hooded sweathsirt, tatty non-descript black jeans and horrible non-descript black winter trainers. I was wearing a 1970s checked long-sleeved Fred Perry button down, burguindy V neck tanktop, blue jeans with regulation double-half inch turnup and oxblood Docs. I said, "for God sake Jan, sort yourself out mate".
    So I just saw him 20 minutes ago, checked Ben Sherman button down, black V neck, blue jeans and black boots, and I said "Well done mate, a vast improvement".

Benchmark is right!

3. Brideshead

Brideshead Senior member

Yeah, that's certainly what I try to do. I am anal enough to keep a sort of mini style photo album with pics down the years - what I got right and what I did not quite get right. It's clear that when I stray too far from the mod/skinhead highway things start to go awry!

4. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

My Photos did not last that long..If I wore anything "wrong",my Mates let it be known.Bloody Fashion Critics!

I like to dress Smart-but not too Skinheady now(if that makes sense).:)

5. London Rudeboy

London Rudeboy Senior member

Indeed, I've noticed in myself that age certainly does at times make one question the judiciousness of turn-ups on jeans worn in conjunction with obvious skinhead boots. That said, my self-confidence and sartorial flair always win and so said combo is worn with aplomb on many workdays. Keeping the faith!

6. McDermott

McDermott Well-Known Member

I think one of the reasons skinhead culture has lasted as long as it had (and will continue to do so) is because the threads can be age appropriate. Teddy boys, rockers etc dont have that to as much extent...and most mods even look daft (I hate that piss take paul weller haircut they all sport at age 40)...swap the DM's for Tricker brogue boots, smart selvedge jeans, a button down and cardie or lambswool jumper and you have something you can wear pretty much any age and be smart. It annoys me how many caricatures there are in subcultures who question you when your out and bout..Personally i have always worn and liked the 'lesser' known items that set you apart from boneheads, people with political involvement, punks who call themselves skinheads etc...Cords, jungle greens, suede jackets, brogues, plain mohair trousers, cord jackets, smedley style knits and knit polos...All this clobber to choose from and people still look like a bag of shite or a poor misconception of the word skinhead. I would rather dress smart and people think i was just into my threads (and the odd wink from those in the 'know') then look like something from This is england.

7. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

QFT. This is my personal style mantra as well

and on the flip side, this is the other part of my style mantra!

always room for both expressions, in a smart age appropriate way

8. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

I like the Quote"from those in the know".You are right-that is why I can discuss various Points,on this Forum,with ex Skins my Age.I know what you mean about "Paul Weller" Haircuts on the 40 year olds.That certainly bought a smile on.

9. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

This is a well known photo of 69 Skinheads,
    Their is a story behind this pic, that you may or may not know. The photograph was taken in 69 by Terrence Spencer, who did work for Time magazine,
    At the time in London their was a well known Hippy squat, 144 Piccadilly ..it went on for some years, and was like a siege most of the time , anyone around my age would have remembered the squat.
    What i did not know was a Gang of skinheads tried to storm the place, armed with air pistols, of all things,:D

I understand Terrence Spencer was taking pics of Hippies at the squat and later in the day took the iconic photograph of some of the Skinheads at Piccadilly Circus, which was 5 mins walk from the squat.
    The squat was knocked down in the early 70s, Now The Intercontinental Hotel.
    Hope this is of interest.

[​IMG]

The full story is on here.

http://www.nickelinthemachine.com/tag/skinheads/

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  10. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

I remember passing - the coach driver went out of his way to show the passengers - the squat, as we headed down for the Arsenal - Man United game.

Always a bit of an adventure, going to 'that london'. :satisfied:

(Iconic pic, indeed.)

11. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

Somewhere I have an email from the skinhead guy at the front of this group. Hopefully it'll all go in 'the book'.

12. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Anyone interested in a copy of this photo can be bought at the Museum of London, they do a mail order service...if you cant get to the museum.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  13. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Points to note about this pic, the lads Levis was baggier than 80s Skinheads, turn-ups rolled up rather than sewing them in, and Boots just above the ankle..

14. harrysgame

harrysgame Senior member

They are baseball boots that were very popular in the UK in the early 70s. I iused to wear them to knock around in the summer time. Not skinhead gear though. Although in the early 80s some skinheads around our way used to wear them, again in summer time. Just a phase thing i suppose and a very short lived one.

15. harrysgame

harrysgame Senior member

Is that the one where Best put Six past us. 8-2 i think the score was. Our biggest ever loss.