Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

In the 60s my Dad was always going on to me too get me hair cut, :D So when i got it shaved ..he said well done Roy, after a few times getting nicked, Thats the last time i want to see your hair like that he would say, :D,:D

And thats why i think a lot of us grew our hair , just fed up with all the publicity ??

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  2. Little Queenie

Little Queenie Senior member

In the 60s my Dad was always going on to me too get me hair cut, :D So when i got it shaved ..he said well done Roy, after a few times getting nicked, Thats the last time i want to see your hair like that he would say, :D,:D
    quote]

I like that!

3. Little Queenie

Little Queenie Senior member

Whoops, did that wrong......... but i still like it!

4. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

It rings a bell. I didn't go down Deptford that much once the pie-and-mash shop shut. I don't think the West Indian record shop lasted that long either.

5. London Rudeboy

London Rudeboy Senior member

Did anyone else's school have a ban on crops? I went to an inner London school in Chelsea were trends caught on fast, so perhaps that's why we had the ban on haircuts that were deemed too short and thus provocative. Long hair, within reason, was okay though, some of the Sixth Form hippy/prog rock boys at my school in 73 had shoulder length hair.

6. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

I think when i was at school the whole Skinhead thing went unnoticed by the teachers, It was only in 69 that they realised what was going on,
    I left school in July 69, I do remember getting sent home for wearing jungle greens once, as not school uniform.
    The thing with the Skinhead dress it was mostly smart, Like a nice Blazer that you could buy, Sta press , White Ben Sherman and Black Boots you could get away with.

Wish i had my old striped school tie now, :)

7. Kingstonian

Kingstonian Senior member

You would not want to wear anything that could get nicked though - like a decent coat. I had shoes nicked from an open air swimming pool in Harrow. They must have spotted another kids Royals. I just left my stuff in the changing room rather than hand it over in a basket for safekeeping - never again.

Also they would pick up on wrong colour socks. Red socks :- 'Have you joined the College of Cardinals ?

The big fight was over long hair earlier in the 60s. I also thought my school tie looked good but, of course, you could never wear it simply because it was your school tie. That might not make sense to Americans but the Brits will know what I mean.

8. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

I remember up in 'The Pool' in 66/67, if you dated a girl you would ponce a school tie off her. They were usually striped anyway and were therefore fashionable, and wearing one was supposed to be 'proof' that you had (ahem) dated a girl from that school. I had two or three such ties, though I am making absolutely no claims about anything else.

I haven't worn a tie for yonks, but I would love an MCC one, just for the heck of it (without making any claim about the England Ladies Cricket Team either!).

My school tie was brown and yellow... nah... not recommended. :)

9. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

That is why I said Skinhead,in an earlier Post.Up to `69 we were Mods.

10. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Did not go to Deptford much-Millwall Country.:)

11. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Although their was always trouble between Areas and Football, Lads would be happy to make friends, My mate Alan who i meet at work came from Bermondsey, so i would get over the Old Kent Road, and would get to the odd Millwall game, and He would come over to Kilburn and come to Chelsea sometimes, Another time We was on Holiday Clacton of all places summer of 70... we meet Loads of Boys and Girls from Poplar, and Mile End, so we would pop over there, When you walked into say a Disco with them where they was known, you would be accepted, So it was not all about Hostility. At the same time if you walked in the same pubs uninvited you would in most cases come unstuck,

12. Gramps

Gramps Senior member

May 26th is a busy weekend for me unfortunately.

13. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

I agree with most of what you said Roy,unfortunately the rivalry between West Ham and Millwall is bitter(they both come from the same areas of the Docks-North and South of the Thames).I have met Chelsea,Spurs,QPR , Fulham and Charlton Fans(I used to do Peanut Selling in most of those Grounds,as well as Arsenal) and have had a good time.Millwall is a different thing .

14. Pressure_Drop

Pressure_Drop Senior member

Young Bristol 'skinheads' in 1970 - not a shaved head in sight...[ATTACHMENT=2[ATTACHMENT=2163]BCFC9.jpg (29k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]162]BCFC1.jpg (53k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

15. London Rudeboy

London Rudeboy Senior member

Indeed, everyone hates Millwall and with good reason, and it's something they're proud of.

BTW, for the uninitiated who fancy looking at a map for an area in south east London called Millwall, you won't find it there. Millwall, the area, is actually on the Isle of Dogs on the other side of the River. Hence, the bitter rivalry with West Ham, as both of them were originally East London teams.