• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

London Rudeboy

Reaction score
As soon as you've fixed a date, get it posted here ASAP, and I'll see if I can wangle some sort of govt field visit trip over to England for that week.

Last edited:

Pressure_Drop

Reaction score
Hi all, at a loose end these days due to enforced unemployment (my choice I hasten to add) and yes sadly I've been googling Booted and Suited and found this thread.

Nice to see some complimentary comments and observations about the book - if there's any queries/questions you want to throw at me feel free. Just to say that I can confirm all the photos of the skinheads in the book are from the 1969-71 period and yes, leather bomber jackets were worn, although not as common as the suede versions, these were all ex-army, or we believed at the time ex Korean war USAF, but I might I may be wrong.

All the best fellas - Chris Brown

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

'Margit' as me mum used to say :D

And Chas and Dave,Bunty.

I believe May would be better,sort it out Little Queenie.It does not matter to me-the "Irons" ain`t there :)

Thanks for the kind words sivanpunk and el norte,much appreciated.

Coronaeus,welcome to the Site.I had a Mate(back in the 60`s) who was Canadian(his Family came from Alberta,if I remember correctly)Great Geezer! I was fascinated with his ID/Passpart Card-all in one.He had to carry it about him all the time. Don`t know why though.Always there when you needed him!!!! :)

buttons

Reaction score

I am working on call that weekend, What about the week after ?

There's a skinhead do up in Leicester that weekend.
How about May5th or June 9th (as wouldn't want to clash with The Wheel and me mate's getting married in between).

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just dropping in to say that this wretched site has stopped sending me updates to this thread. Again! Not a happy peanut!

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

When you think of the cost of cloths back then, but most of us teenagers managed to get them, what would a pair of Royals cost at todays prices? , A pair of Cordovan Brogues these Days £ 450 .

That's where 'totting' (and a few less-than-legal activities too) came into it. :)

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

hey im guy in pic .. taken around sixty nine at my best mates kitchen door -

(Sorry about this, folks. I have been away from the thread for a while. Can somebody remind me which pic it was?)

Edenbray, it would be great to have your memories about all kinds of things for 'the book'.

M-o-M

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Couple of quick questions, we've discussed sunglasses before (not exactly the weather for it, but I stumbled on it). Aviators where ok, but some of you guys preferred other ones with "polaroid glasses" if I remember correctly.
Might it be these kind of glasses? Any idea what they are called? I really like the frame as well, maybe even better then the aviators.

And this seem to be a variation? or ight be the exact same, but I kinda like these wider but "slightly smaller vertically then aviators" glasses.

Another one abotu trilby's.

Obviously plain colours like black or grey, but what kind of variations did you regarding patterns like this guy from Neat Change who tried to appeal to Skinheads with their band (prior to Slade) as have been told before.

Or like good 'ol Frosty:

Would you see patterns like Small Face's Kenney Jones hat in here (not a trilby but ok):

POW trilby's?

You've got me scratching my head now. I've always talked about my 'signature aviators' on this thread, and you can see me wearing the shades on some of the pics. I'm now asking myself if they were aviators or over-the-counter polaroid shades, and I just can't remember. Can't remember the brand or anything.

As for trilbys, I used to see scooter guys in S London in 1968 wearing Frost-style trilbys to ride in, but the 1969 skinhead trilby down our was was plain dark navy, not unlike the one below. NB they were not pork-pie hats, they did not have particularly narrow brims.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Colin of all the original skinhead clobber, Jungle greens was my favourite, Where we got them from they was Very cheap 5 bob.. new unissued, they was comfortable and would fade to a really nice colour.
also looked great with Cherry red commando boots, some of us would wear maroon sweat shirts to go with the boots, this would have been early 68.

Once again we're pretty close to agreement, Roy. I wore greens with cherry red commandos in '68. I remember going back up North wearing them, and the blokes in Blackpool had never seen the like before. I don't think they caught on up there, though, not then anyhow, not just as a result of my flying visit to the old haunts.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My mate Paul was around a couple of days ago, he said he bumped into Danny in Fulham the day before, I said next time you see him , tell him he is famous lol

I vote for him as 'Face of 69' instead of me! :)

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Were the monkey Jackets the ones that had the plain collar and cuffs Roy? I remember the Blue ones.

The plain collar/cuff variety were the ones I remember from 67/68. Usually unlined. I had one back then and I wish I could find one now.

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You've got me scratching my head now. I've always talked about my 'signature aviators' on this thread, and you can see me wearing the shades on some of the pics. I'm now asking myself if they were aviators or over-the-counter polaroid shades, and I just can't remember. Can't remember the brand or anything.
As for trilbys, I used to see scooter guys in S London in 1968 wearing Frost-style trilbys to ride in, but the 1969 skinhead trilby down our was was plain dark navy, not unlike the one below. NB they were not pork-pie hats, they did not have particularly narrow brims.

Hello M-o-M,good to see you back.

There is a Guy in the `69 Trilby(complete with Sheepskin)dancing with his Mates-on a Skinhead Thread,on YouTube.Not too good at Computers to show it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads