1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Used to get the Girls to carry a spare Pair,in their Pockets.They used to go seperate to us.The Old Bill never caught on!!:)

2. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

Crafty Cocker-nees, eh? :happy:

3. Gramps

Gramps Senior member

Have you decided on York Yet Ed???

4. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

Oh yes - I'll be there. :nodding:

I may drive - so just shandy. (May God - or whoever - forgive me.) :satisfied:

(I get the impression you lot don't scoop like me, and, I have a friend's function (Arf!!!) to attend later on. )

Meeting Bob and Little Queenie, tomorrow. (Friday - bet they can't wait - aye, right.) :satisfied:

5. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Be good to see you,Ed!:)

6. Heyska

Heyska Active Member

Just wanted to pop in and introduce myself. This thread has been an amazing educational experience and I am really digging all the great style tips and examples.

My history:

31 years old, been into Ska music since the 3rd wave stuff back in the 90's. Being young and such that was the draw. Eventually I found the roots of the music and have been into since. The local band The Skoidats (briefly on MoonSka records) were my biggest influence and I never missed a show. Miss those guys a lot. Used to run with a SHARP crew awhile back and played in a few Ska and Punk bands. I believe in equality but am not militant like a lot of the SHARP folks out there. The music has always been my inspiration and what I always go back to. Love old R&B and Soul and have even been seen to dabble in some Oi with the guys back in the day. Stylewise I have been mostly in t-shirts and jeans, influenced by the 3rd wave Ska lax style. Growing up in rural Montana didn't help with very little exposure to the music and style until the Internet started to open up a lot more for me.

Recently, due to some good weight loss, I have been more focused on style. The Skin/Mod style has always been an interest of mine and now I find myself in Germany where I can find Ben Sherman, Fred Perry and Merc stuff regularly and available. My Mecca so far has been the Fred Perry outlet store they have around here that was amazing. I have always been comfortable in boots, hell I wear them everyday (a necessary thing being a soldier), and having a pair is akin to swaddling a baby, I feel a lot better when they are on. I know, odd, but maybe some of you know what I mean.

Waiting on my Ben Sherman Traditional Harrington to come in as it is a great fit and not too bulky and billowy like some others I have seen. Anyway, hearing the history and feeling like I am in the wrong time period is an interesting thing for me. I love the Trad stuff, especially the music and I feel at home in the clothing. Mod style works for more formal occasions for me and my wardrobe has grown immensely since I discovered the availability of the style locally and on the Internet.

Modern musical tastes run to The Slackers, Toasters, Hepcat, a lot of Asian Man stuff especially Monkey (kind of biased as their old bass player used to be a bass player in one of my bands) and I still listen to a lot of 3rd Wave and revival stuff, mixed with Punk stuff from the 70's through the 90's.

Anyway, enough of me. Thanks for all the great reading and the amazing stuff on here. It really is a must have resource for anyone getting into the style, like myself.

Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  7. Brideshead

Brideshead Senior member

Welcome Heyska.

It is interesting that this thread is attracting people now from quite diverse backgrounds – all attracted to what was once considered a ‘lost look’.

Indeed I was struck last week when (unusually for me these days) I found myself in a shop that sells what is best called up market designer fashion, just how strong the mod / skinhead influence is at present.

Among other things in the shop was a navy monkey jacket by Vivienne Westwood, some beautiful v necks by Polo and again Vivienne Westwood and most jeans / cotton trousers displayed in a way that was pure 1969 – short and with a small turn-up.

Many of the young guys I spotted were cool and understated. Their overall style was admittedly more mod than skinhead (very much like these guys) [​IMG]

and it all seemed very encouraging to my old eyes.

8. Little Queenie

Little Queenie Senior member

Very much looking forward to meeting up with you, Mr. Vaughan!

9. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

Well, I hope not to disappoint... oooooeeerrrrr. :D

10. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

Sheer ink-on-skin archaeology! Terrific stuff! (Still not getting alerts from the site :( )

11. Man-of-Mystery

It'll be there!

12. Man-of-Mystery

I have been busy as all hell, plus the site doesn't give me update alerts, so for weeks I assumed there had been no posts. :(

13. Man-of-Mystery

I had a Harrington in a kind of dark pea-green. Sta-Prest south of the River were off-white or stone.

14. Man-of-Mystery

They used to call Jimmy Hill 'The Chief Rabbi' - he used to take that in good spirit too. :)

15. Man-of-Mystery

I'm only half-back.

16. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

just make it a habit of logging in every other day or so, since there is new posts everyday!

17. Man-of-Mystery

That would be the Lewisham Odeon - demolished now. I saw The Supremes there, and post-skinhead I saw T-Rex there.

18. Man-of-Mystery

I went there too.

19. Man-of-Mystery

Suzie, had you forgotten I got interviewed for the NYT? :D

20. Man-of-Mystery

I can tell you it really depended on the mods in question. The 'movement' split right in two towards the end of the sixties, with what I think of as the Kings Road type of psychedelic dandy, and the small town and/or working class kids who were into clean-cut clothes and were listening to soul, Tamla, and rock-steady. Loads of the latter slipped easily into the early skinhead scene, I saw it happen.