Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Kingstonian

Kingstonian Senior member

There is Cheam and North Cheam. Neither is a destination for youngsters in search of nightlife. Sutton is a very different kettle of fish.

2. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

I worked in Sutton,but never went out there(travelled backwards and forwards to work).I knew about the two Cheams-Dormitory Towns I think they were called-Daddy working in the City.

3. London Rudeboy

London Rudeboy Senior member

The fictional East Cheam famously the home of Tony Hancock in Hancock's Half Hour. In fact if an East Cheam did exist it would be Sutton!

East Sheen, however, does exist, located north of Richmond Park and south of Mortlake.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012

4. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

OHT
    To be honest i did not know their was a 507 issue, as by 71 London Skinheads had moved on...however i just checked the 507s on Ebay , they are as you said near identical, the only difference besides the zipper is the material, the 107 was 100% cotton, where the 70s issue 507 is Cotton/Poly mix, which would as you said give a more stiff feel, also being a poly/cotton mix easier to iron.
    Good find mate, whats worth mentioning we would not iron in a crease on the 107... just iron flat. :)

5. loempiavreter

loempiavreter Senior member

Couple of quick questions, we've discussed sunglasses before (not exactly the weather for it, but I stumbled on it). Aviators where ok, but some of you guys preferred other ones with "polaroid glasses" if I remember correctly.

Might it be these kind of glasses? Any idea what they are called? I really like the frame as well, maybe even better then the aviators.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And this seem to be a variation? or ight be the exact same, but I kinda like these wider but "slightly smaller vertically then aviators" glasses.
    [​IMG]

Another one abotu trilby's.
    [​IMG]

Obviously plain colours like black or grey, but what kind of variations did you regarding patterns like this guy from Neat Change who tried to appeal to Skinheads with their band (prior to Slade) as have been told before.

[​IMG]
    Or like good 'ol Frosty:
    [​IMG]

Would you see patterns like Small Face's Kenney Jones hat in here (not a trilby but ok):
    [​IMG]

POW trilby's?

6. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Regarding Sun Glasses! any type was worn mostly cheap ones, although MoM is proof that Aviators was worn, around our way we wore like the ones in the above photos,

For a while Pork pie hats was worn, It was one bit of kit copied off the Rudies, I wore one now and again, but always felt conscious that i was wearing black kit and binned it.

7. Kingstonian

Kingstonian Senior member

The first sunglasses look like the Polaroids I used to have. The brand was Polaroid as well as the lens type.

Very few wore trilbies. Plain colours - definitely not old man versions like Frost though.

8. OHT

OHT Senior member

Good to know. I forgot to ask: Would you/original skinheads have the OG 107 with bottom turn ups like the jeans or would you have the bottoms sewed inside like most sta prest trousers?

9. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Some Lads had turn ups, some wore them without,

10. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

It was more likely they would be rolled up-sometiimes higher than the Jeans.

I wore Polaroid Sunglasses during the `60s.Never saw Aviators but M-o-M wore them,so they were about.

I wore the Blue Beat Hat(as they were then called),these could be bought in different Colours, and the later Trilby-all plain Colours.

11. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Colin of all the original skinhead clobber, Jungle greens was my favourite, Where we got them from they was Very cheap 5 bob.. new unissued, they was comfortable and would fade to a really nice colour.
    also looked great with Cherry red commando boots, some of us would wear maroon sweat shirts to go with the boots, this would have been early 68.

12. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Yes,I agree with you Roy.The more faded the better.I would wear them with a T-Shirt and a Sleeveless Pullover,Black Commando Boots etc.Also about this time the first Cardigans came out-the finer wool ones,not the later chunky ones.

13. Jean-Jacques

Jean-Jacques Member

14. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Yep Cardigans i would nick me older Brothers. Also his John Smedley type casual jumpers.

15. elitistarsehole

elitistarsehole Member

great photos, that first one is what inspired me to get these american optical ones -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330663605390?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

they are quite similar, that sort of aviator style but squared off with less of a teadrop shape. VERY cheap for a quality pair of sunglasses

these ones also look quite similar, from a different brand -

http://www.jpeterman.com/!12NEFIlNffSaX!GqQkGZLQ!/Ft-Knox-Sunglasses-Nonpolarized-1