Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

the long sleeve shirts that Jump the Gun make have this feature as well, 2 button barrel cuff with a slit in between the buttons to turn into a french cuff shirt. it's a nice feature.

2. el norte

el norte Active Member

3. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

£70 would be a bit over-especially as in those Days,they were in Guineas.When I bought my Royals,they were £7gns.Cheaper than the Ivy Shop but the same shoe.A few years ago,I managed to pick up a pair of near mint Royal Smooths-and even then they were not £70.

We had a wooden door,the Glass one would be easily broken:)My Mum was very practical Had Paving Stones as well-not terracotta ones though.

The narrow Trousers and the Waistcoat do say a little earlier than `68 though.I did not say it was badly pressed-just rumpled.In South London you say,whereabouts- Tooting,Wimbledon,Streatham-or even Brixton.I did a lot of work around those Areas then.

4. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

I paid £8 for my Royals bought from the Ivy shop in 69, Near a weeks wages of £11, :)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012

5. Kingstonian

Kingstonian Senior member

I also paid 7 guineas for Royals from The Squire Shop. All the shoes were 7 guineas - even the loafers which I thought at the time should have been cheaper.

I never found anywhere cheaper for Royals. Petticoat Lane did not have that style and Timpson were a lot later in offering them - at no saving.

Shirts were 69/6d. Those prices along with the prices of a single and an LP are ones I will never forget. A bar of chocolate was 6d.

6. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

I used to like Penny Arrows-good chewing sweets.

I remember going to the "Cut" and paying £10 gns for a pair of "Off the Peg"Mohair Trousers(and they were).14/6 Tighten Up Vol.1:)

7. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

I think these were the cheapskin Coats that came in later.

8. el norte

el norte Active Member

You're right, I think it's from 73 or 74.

Apologies for the double post again, this board is doing my nut in [​IMG]

9. buttons

buttons Senior member

The lad's from Croydon.
    I did think 10 gns would be excessive for a pair of shoes. I doubt the Prince of Wales was spending 70 quid on his at the time! An apprentice was on less than a fiver at the time so 7gns aint cheap for a young lad.
    But apart from forgetting the price of stuff (his penny chews were probably two-bob!), he seemed to know what he was on about. Got his Ben Shermans from a shop round the corner from Leicester Square (ring any bells?) and had his suits done at a Jewish tailor near Holborn.

As for the lads with the cheap sheepies, I would have said early '69. They're only kids but the choice of shirts is more '68 - plain collared white shirts, Smedley style knitted polo and two in plain button downs. Even if ye went as far as Northern Ireland, ye wouldn't find lads dressing like that in '74 (and they're more behind the times than them backward northeners, eh Roy?!)

10. Dr Huh?

Dr Huh? Senior member

How old is too old to suddenly become a skinhead? I think this might be old news, but It seems as if Lars Frederiksen of punk band Rancid has given himself a new, somewhat skinhead inspired look :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Never too old,"Better Late Than Never!!"You just have to "tone down"what you wear(I would not wear Boots or have my Trousers Half-mast"if you get my drift.

It`s funny buttons,when I posted up I thought-"I wonder if he comes from Croydon?"I used to do Window Displays all around there as well.One place always sticks in my mind though.New Addington was a sprawling Estate,outside Croydon,where a Notice Board declared there was 14,000+Kids living there.Horrible Place-they used to dump young Mothers on that Estate(or so I believe).I wonder if he went to the Purley Orchid?I did,a few times.

When it was earlier Skinhead,the white Shirt that was worn had a normal collar.I wore them with a tie,underneath a Sleeveless Pullover.Brown was a 70s colour for shirts etc.:)

12. Kingstonian

Kingstonian Senior member

Are Penny Arrows what I used to know as Blackjacks? Four for an old penny - same as fruit salads.

'Tighten Up' , the various Pama collections (Nu Beat, Gas Greatest Hits etc.) and 'This is Soul' were all cut price LPs. I thought they were 12/6d but definitely not the full 32/6d of a standard LP.

13. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

No I remember Blackjacks.Penny Arrows were strips of Toffee,that you could get. Liquorice,Mint,Banana etc.all in Toffee.I used to get 1/6 Pocket Money so 6p used to go on Arrows-lovely.Funny,the things you remember(sign of old age :)

I can always remember the big round stickers on the 14/6 Albums.The other day an Ethiopians Album went on ebay-complete with the Sticker.Always liked the Various Hits Comps.,some good Music on them.

14. el norte

el norte Active Member

Just checked back on that photo - it's from 1974 by a bloke called Chris McHugh.

I've got a couple of brown Dorset Smedleys like the one that young kid on the right is wearing, big fan of Smedley knitwear. They've got Dorsets for £54 (normally £135) in the sale on their website at the moment in limited sizes.

15. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

I did not think there were Skinheads in `74.Even in the North.The Brown Top looked good-better than what his Mates` are wearing!!!:)