Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. harrysgame

harrysgame Senior member

1st i have ever heard about shirt cuffs not being shown when wearing a suit.
    I would feel like i was inapropriately dressed if i wore a suit and my shirt cuffs WERN'T visable.

I think it looks scruffy with them not showing.
    Regarding that fella above. The suit doesn't fit right at all, trousers too narrow, jacket too short. Looks also like he's slept on his mates sofa.

2. el norte

el norte Active Member

Talking of scruffy geezers, this shirt could have done with a bit of an iron [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Yes same as you Alan , i always show cuff, and its a habit too... keep pulling them down to show them off,

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012

4. bunty

bunty Senior member

Were cufflinks a big thing in the 60s Roy? I always thought that they were?

Some great pictures turning up again.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012

5. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Cuff links was worn by 60s Mods, with Tie Bars, You did see some 60s Skinheads wear Tie bars, But not Cuff links, i think this was down to the type of shirt we wore, not double cuff. Our shirts was more casual, they call them sports shirts these days.

6. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Cufflinks were worn by the the Mods and early Skinheads.They started fading out when more and more short sleeved Shirts became available `69/`70 I would have my Sleeve about the length of my Arm at this time( Ben Shermans always did Button Cuffs-if I remember correctly).

7. OHT

OHT Senior member

Anyone else getting this trimfit shirt by Brutus/Doc Martens?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. London Rudeboy

London Rudeboy Senior member

Sorry, but they are not skinhead girls at all. All the girls around me in the early 70s, in our street and at school looked like that. Those are just average girls in the average clothes, shoes and hairstyles of the day. There is always the slight danger retrospectively of appropriating everything from a period as being part of the desired look. Well, clearly, it wasn't. Also lets not confuse what female skinheads looked like with what the girlfriends of skinheads looked like.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012

9. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Still Cute though,whoever they were.:)

10. London Rudeboy

London Rudeboy Senior member

Yea, but I don't fancy yours much ;)

11. Brideshead

Brideshead Senior member

Some interesting responses to the pic of the guy in the suit.

It is a poor quality picture which is of course the problem we often grapple with when trying to critique someone’s style from some years ago (whether in this case 1969 or the 1980s).

On the three-piece issue it looks to me if he might just be wearing a DB waistcoat which suggests bespoke. The line of the shoulder and sleeves I also thought impressive.

However, returning to the question of cuff – to show or not to show. On the internet today there are a number of men's clothing fora that have invented numerous Eternal Rules of Permanent Style that have no historical basis. The view we have today is that ¼ to ½ half an inch of cuff is about right. There is no real historical evidence, however to suggest this has consistently been the case. A quick look at some of the best-dressed men of their time through the years demonstrates different approaches over time from more cuff on show to none at all.

My recollection of the late 60s view was that it was ‘somewhat of the flash order’ to show cuff when standing with your arms by your sides.

This is interesting on the subject of modern menswear myths.
    http://www.cutterandtailor.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2542

12. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

13. loempiavreter

loempiavreter Senior member

Regarding the guy we are discussing, caption says "In my mod suit no dust" could be a suit from his mod days hence the trousers and jacket length being different to the taste of the day (and if he tucked it far away in the closet, it might explain why it needs a press). The writer also states these recollections are from 1970.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012

14. buttons

buttons Senior member

I think this lad got a bit more stick than he deserves. Its his suit from '68 and although his memories are from 1970, I'd say at his age, in South London, with a crop and shaved parting, that's gonna be '69 (early rather than late). So its last year's suit (which doesn't look bad and I'm not saying isn't tailored) which does excuse it being a little snug and the narrower cut of the trouser. And his waistcoat, as Brideshead pointed out, either has a heavy overlap or is double breasted, which I doubt you'd get off the peg. I think 70 quid on a pair of brogues is a little embellished (but then when did ye meet an old skinhead (or anyone for that matter) who didn't exaggerate a bit about the clothes he had, fights he'd won, birds he'd pulled etc etc?!).

I’m also assuming his cuff showing would be due to a short sleeved shirt. I prefer a long sleeved shirt with a suit but it can get very hot & uncomfortable in the summer. Have spoken to original skinheads that wore both – personal preference and regional differences. Long sleeves – I’d say a bit of cuff showing, otherwise your shirt’s probably too small or your jacket sleeves a little long. The amount of cuff on show though - in the perfect stance, I’d say just sticking out (half inch max)…. but it’ll change every time ye take a swig of your pint!

As for being badly pressed – ye can hardly tell with that picture, so not summet I’d slag him for.

And Brownie, if you thought that was a modern door, ye wouldn’t get a modern PVC door with a bolt lock screwed to the exterior. And its clearly made of wood. Patterned glass in a wooden door – very early 60’s. Ceramic terracotta exterior floor tiles – been around for donkey’s. Nowt wrong with that bin either.

80s – not a chance – I’d bet good money on that being ’69 and no later than ’70.

Massive feet – not his fault – accentuated by a pair of yank style long-wings – that’s gonna look big!

By the way, Ben Sherman long sleeved button downs always had a button but two button holes on the cuff, so you get the option of cuff links or not. They continued this up until the two button cuffs that appeared on their Penny Collared offerings. Brutus, Arnold Palmer, Beverley and various others all did the same thing for the option of cuff links.

15. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

it's a nice pattern, dig the colors. I am curious if it is the same cheap cotton that their other shirts use. The recent shirts used quite awful material, looks nice and wears good on first wear, but after one wash, hang dry and iron, the shirt seemed like it had gotten 10 years of wear. Their first shirts made from cotton/poly have held up so much better.

definitely, and this forum is a big catalyst in perpetuating these myths as otherwise style-less guys who have suddenly gotten style over the past 6 months keep parrot-ing the same mantras over and over again of what is right and wrong. that said I think the showing a bit of sleeve cuff is the one "rule" that does look better followed, on a purely aesthetic basis.