Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. London Rudeboy

London Rudeboy Senior member

The Birds Nest on the Kings Road was called just The Birds Nest and directly opposite Dovehouse Green and its tombs, (it was right next door to Pucci's Pizza) in the 80s it changed to one of those ubiquitous food-pub chains.

In the 80s and 90s Pucci's was a known place for the Chelsea Ruperts and Fionas to buy their Colombian marching powder, we nicked Pucci several times for doing the dealing himself.
    George Best lived round the corner from said pub in Oakley Street & got mugged one evening when he came out of Pucci's. He was blathered and could hardly stand. All he could say when I got there was "They took my Rolex". He was wearing a shell suit and trainers. Myself and my colleague walked him the 100 metres home, after he'd refused the ambulance that had arrived.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012

2. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

Pretty similar, though the 'Jungle Greens' were definitely... well... green! Trawl through this thread until you come to a pic of 'The Smiffies' from Deptford.

Regarding 3-piece suits. These weren't worn round our way (S E London), but blokes did often wear a suit with a v-necked sweater - usually sleeveless - over a shirt. Burgundy was a favoured colour.

3. Brideshead

Brideshead Senior member

Found another pic or two of the King's Road in the early 70s.

[​IMG]

Here you can see just how oddly (in my eyes) the Drugstore sat against the predominantly Victorian architecture - I suppose that was part of the attraction.

[​IMG]

I'm not sure I did visit the Birds Nest.

4. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Sorry, Roy I have just seen your earlier pics. I didn't know it was now a Mc Donalds.
    Although I remember the Birds Nest name I'm not sure if I went to them. What was the name of the one on the King's Road?
    I didn't really start hanging round King's Road until after my skinhead days by which time we were into that sort of 'French Cut' as Alex Roest calls it. Shetland wool roll neck and slightly flared gaberdine trousers from Jones or Quincy.

By Roy

They was just called The Birds Nest, the one in Kings road is now Henry J Bean's. I would get in them up until 73 ??,

Yep we would pub cruel along the Kings rd , Pubs the Drug Store, Chelsea Potter, Markham Arms, The Trafalgar , Birds Next, Magpie and Stump. and others that i cant remember.

The Village Gate in Kings road use to do those lovely Shetland roll neck Jumpers, I had about Four or Five, in bright colours, One thing white was never worn, it was associated with Gays ,:)

5. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Take Six in the Photo that sort of took over from The Squire shop for cloths 72 onwards

The Kings Road was very popular with Original skinheads for years, Chelsea Shed Skinheads that is ,:D

6. London Rudeboy

London Rudeboy Senior member

7. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Never went to Chelsea(Kings Roa)d in the 60s,mainly "Upwest"or East London.Found the Clubs I liked around Soho-The Limbo or the Roaring Twenties.

Remembered wearing Armbands during the "Bonnie and Clyde"Fashion-complete with Striped Double Breasted Suit,Black wide brimmed Trilby and Two Tone Shoes.:)

8. bunty

bunty Senior member

What year was the Bonnie & Clyde look Brownie?

Did you wear those American college jumpers and cardigans with letters on them, like they wore in 'Happy Days' in your moddy stage Brownie? Any rough idea of when they were 'in'? If you wore them in your area that is :)

9. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

With us it was the film The Great Gatsby 74 We started to walk around in suits again quite smart for a while, the girls look cool in the 20s look,
    I think their is a remake of the film coming out this year.

10. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Around early `67 the Film came out-suddenly we were Chicago Gangsters.It was fun at the time-The Girls wore Berets and Maxi Skirts.What made it a bit authentic with me,was the Girlfriend of the time was Italian!!

The "College Look" came out later(70sI think).During the early Mod days "Yale"printed T-Shirts were worn.During the late 70s/early 80s I was shopping at Flips in Curtain Road.Then I wore 50s Style Suits,College Jackets etc.All American Originals.

11. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

I know this is not strictly Skinhead,but I have been observing the young Teenagers(School/College Age) and how they spend a lot of free time.A few days ago I was watchng a Programme,that included a Scene that showed Teenagers on a "Break".It struck me how different it was when I was roughly their Age.Some were Texting,some talking on their Mobiles,others listening to i-Pods whilst two had Laptops.There was no real communication between them.Back in the early `60s someone would bring in a Transitor and the latest Sounds would be heard-courtesy of the Pirate Radio Ships.Large Groups would form talking about Fashion(one or two would have something new on under their School Uniform,one would have a different Haircut etc.).Others would be plotting the next trip to the Girls School(always held on a Monday Evening-Old Time Dancing) and discuss "Outside Activities".They were talking and Bantering with each other.
    Today Teenagers wear things designed by People of my Age!Where are the Art Schools(do they still exist?)where the likes of Ossie Clarke or Pete Townsend came out of-with Young Ideas.The Youth today do not seem to subscrbe to the "Teenage Rebellion".There were Teds,Mods,Skinheads,Greasers,Punk etc.,who,all made their marks, it showed Identity.Now it is mass produced.I have always thought an old fashion Coffee Bar would be a step in the right direction,and when I have mentioned it to Teenagers they have thought it was a good idea.Somewhere to meet.Unfortunately I do not have the Cash.Alternatively a Youth Festival,to kick start Young Designers and get the Teenagers thinking again.

Alas,just Pipe-Dreams.:cloud:

12. Sipreano

Sipreano Member

Did they look like these: http://www.styleforum.net/t/89027/traditional-skinheads/540#post_3791900
    Solovair does one with different side stitching but with standard air soles:
    http://www.nps-solovair.co.uk/page_shoes_solovair.html
    http://www.jumpthegun.co.uk/product/Monkey_boots_Black_Solovair

13. soundsnpressure

soundsnpressure Senior member

I know most YOU TUBE Skinhead reagge tunes tend to have a great selection of photos displayed as you play the song, but these 2 songs I love, have some partricularly great photos.

This from the start :-

And this one form 2 mins 5 seconds in :-

I've seen a great look. Beige sta-prest with turn ups, boots, black blazer, button down.
    Simple, but spot on.

I have some Levi's sta-prest (beige) in the jeans style. i.e. same 'Jeans' pockets front and back.
    I'm gonna sew a 1 inch turn-up into them, and see how they look with boots and a plain black blazer.
    But try and make look smart enough and appropriate for a 38 year old [​IMG]

14. Kingstonian

Kingstonian Senior member

There was also a Bird's Nest in the Harrow/ Rayners Lane area. Just an unremarkable pub/disco type place.

I never knew there was a chain of them.

15. soundsnpressure

soundsnpressure Senior member

Nice to see the young man that's running BRUTUS TRIMFIT wearing a nice sheepskin recently.
    The Sheepskin is not as nice as Roy's 'Ralph Lauren', but still very smart [​IMG]

[​IMG]