Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. arietradskin69

arietradskin69 New Member

hey lads i'm From indonesia Traditionalskinhead,,

2. London Rudeboy

London Rudeboy Senior member

I remember the revamped Chelsea Drug Store from my school days in Chelsea. The original shut down in 71. I also remember the last incarnation of it being gutted to make way for the McDonalds.

3. London Rudeboy

London Rudeboy Senior member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lasttye [​IMG]

While searching for someting else i found this interesting 60s pic Could be down Oxford St or the Kings road London, Note behind the Hari Krishnas a couple of skinhead boys and girls, it shows the girls often had long hair.

[​IMG]

I'm almost sure it's not Kings Roads, for two reasons, 1, in London the Hari Krishnas usually walked along Oxford Street because their HQ was in Soho Square, 2, there were never any street stalls like that selling stuff on the Kings Road, simply because it wasn't permitted.

That said those aren't even Met Police officers (the nearest constable's crested helmet and blue shirt testify to that, also Met Police tunics of that period were flared at the bottom and with four pockets all with silver buttons, for all ranks, not just officers, again the tunic of the nearest constable testifies to that), so I doubt that it's even Oxford street. Then that stuff hanging on the sides of the stall looks like those old seaside rock walking sticks, see the sign with the word "glucose" just above them? . Possibly Brighton, Southend, Margate, Blackpool? Might be City of London police though up Petticoat Lane or by the Tower of London, which would explain the tourist stall.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  4. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

The City Bill have a raised bit on their Helmets,with more of a silver front.Interesting Photo though-especially the Girls with longer Hair.

5. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Thinking about it,did the City Bill not have the checkered Band(red and white)on their Caps- before the other Forces?Might be wrong.Just got a vague recoolection.

6. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

When I first saw the Hari Krishnas in the 60s, i thought they was Skinheads that had been rehabilitated or found religion,:D :D

7. bunty

bunty Senior member

Great photo of the Hare Krishnas, where did you find that Roy? And as for the impressive detective work, bloody hell :)

Just a silly thing, but the local Skinheads in this neck of the woods wore three piece suits, I don't know how 'usual' this was though and with them 'St Georges' (as MoM called them) arm garters to keep the sleeves just the right length. On the waistcoats they used to wear a fob watch, I've never heard of this before? Teds used to do it too didn't they? I keep getting images of Bill Sikes or Wyatt Earp :happy:

8. KD-fens

KD-fens Active Member

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/73449?feat=505933-GN3

Are these similar to what you all wore/are looking for currently?

9. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Had one 3 Piece Suit.Never wore armbands with it though- nor a Fob Watch.Just another example of Variations.

When I saw the Picture of the Mod waiting outside the "Twisted Wheel"(with the Patch on his Knee),it reminded me of something we did.I do not know how common this was:-
    When the Pockets of the Levis became frayed or the Jeans split under the Crutch,we would stitch a Leather edging onto the Pockets.Under the Leg we would stitch the Patch under the Denim-so only hole covering would show.This was about `67/`68.

10. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Sorry the Patch was sewn on top of the hole(when you get older,your mind slips).:D

11. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

I was searching for photos of the Chelsea Drugstore, and the Hari Krishnas came up, that why i thought is may have been Kings Rd, but Rudeboy sussed it out ..that its not, Typical Old Bill to scrutinise everything, :D

Never saw a 60s Skinhead wearing a three piece suit, but i,am sure someone would have done, and why not ??

12. Brideshead

Brideshead Senior member

Did you find any of the Drugstore?

I have a couple:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Three piece suits - yes they became popular at Ilford Palais around 1968 I recall. I had a beige one but always thought the jacket a bit too long. My own fault as I had specified a longer jacket but I never really liked it.

I wore those armbands up to about 1988 (not consistently as they seemed to come and go) and still have two pairs in my jewellery box. Now my shirts have the right length of sleeve they are redundant. I think one or two of the flasher dressers did have a pocket watch.

13. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Great pics John, yes i posted two a couple of pages back,:) Like the pic of the inside of the Drugstore,

Do you remember the Birds Nest chain of Pub Disco's John, The one in Kings road Chelsea was popular with us, Also others West Kensington in North End Road, And the one in West Hampstead.

14. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Yes they look about right, they look copies of the OG 107 though, i would search out Original issue's for that price. in the States 60s issue OG 107 s are about 40$,

Ikouja said he paid $12 for a pair.. their you go, :)

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  15. Brideshead

Brideshead Senior member

Sorry, Roy I have just seen your earlier pics. I didn't know it was now a Mc Donalds.

Although I remember the Birds Nest name I'm not sure if I went to them. What was the name of the one on the King's Road?

I didn't really start hanging round King's Road until after my skinhead days by which time we were into that sort of 'French Cut' as Alex Roest calls it. Shetland wool roll neck and slightly flared gaberdine trousers from Jones or Quincy.

Pub Discos I frequented in 1968/9 were the Merry Fiddlers at Becontree Heath near Romford, Coopers Arms at Hornchurch (shaped inside like a beer barrel) and one in Walthamstow I cannot remember the name of. I lived in Chelmsford so tended then to stick to the East side of London