• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

London Rudeboy

Reaction score
I remember the revamped Chelsea Drug Store from my school days in Chelsea. The original shut down in 71. I also remember the last incarnation of it being gutted to make way for the McDonalds.

London Rudeboy

Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasttye

While searching for someting else i found this interesting 60s pic Could be down Oxford St or the Kings road London, Note behind the Hari Krishnas a couple of skinhead boys and girls, it shows the girls often had long hair.

0829393.jpg

I'm almost sure it's not Kings Roads, for two reasons, 1, in London the Hari Krishnas usually walked along Oxford Street because their HQ was in Soho Square, 2, there were never any street stalls like that selling stuff on the Kings Road, simply because it wasn't permitted.

That said those aren't even Met Police officers (the nearest constable's crested helmet and blue shirt testify to that, also Met Police tunics of that period were flared at the bottom and with four pockets all with silver buttons, for all ranks, not just officers, again the tunic of the nearest constable testifies to that), so I doubt that it's even Oxford street. Then that stuff hanging on the sides of the stall looks like those old seaside rock walking sticks, see the sign with the word "glucose" just above them? . Possibly Brighton, Southend, Margate, Blackpool? Might be City of London police though up Petticoat Lane or by the Tower of London, which would explain the tourist stall.

Last edited:

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Quote:
While searching for someting else i found this interesting 60s pic Could be down Oxford St or the Kings road London, Note behind the Hari Krishnas a couple of skinhead boys and girls, it shows the girls often had long hair.

0829393.jpg

I'm almost sure it's not Kings Roads, for two reasons, 1, in London the Hari Krishnas usually walked along Oxford Street because their HQ was in Soho Square, 2, there were never any street stalls like that selling stuff on the Kings Road, simply because it wasn't permitted. 

That said those aren't even Met Police officers (the nearest constable's crested helmet and blue shirt testify to that, also Met Police tunics of that period were flared at the bottom and with four pockets all with silver buttons, for all ranks, not just officers, again the tunic of the nearest constable testifies to that), so I doubt that it's even Oxford street. Then that stuff hanging on the sides of the stall looks like those old seaside rock walking sticks, see the sign with the word "glucose" just above them? . Possibly Brighton, Southend, Margate, Blackpool?    Might be City of London police though up Petticoat Lane or by the Tower of London, which would explain the tourist stall.  

The City Bill have a raised bit on their Helmets,with more of a silver front.Interesting Photo though-especially the Girls with longer Hair.

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thinking about it,did the City Bill not have the checkered Band(red and white)on their Caps- before the other Forces?Might be wrong.Just got a vague recoolection.

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

0829393.jpg

When I first saw the Hari Krishnas in the 60s, i thought they was Skinheads that had been rehabilitated or found religion,:D :D

bunty

Reaction score
Great photo of the Hare Krishnas, where did you find that Roy? And as for the impressive detective work, bloody hell :)

Just a silly thing, but the local Skinheads in this neck of the woods wore three piece suits, I don't know how 'usual' this was though and with them 'St Georges' (as MoM called them) arm garters to keep the sleeves just the right length. On the waistcoats they used to wear a fob watch, I've never heard of this before? Teds used to do it too didn't they? I keep getting images of Bill Sikes or Wyatt Earp :happy:

KD-fens

Reaction score

Well, I knew one girl who was fairly openly gay and one bloke who 'came out' about a decade later, but apart from that it was unheard of.
While I was running Yell a bloke from Gay Times approached me to say that he knew a fair number of blokes who were 'in the closet', which I guess is something you didn't talk about in those days.
Roy,have often wished I could pick up a pair of greens. There are plenty of combat strides around, but none without pockets on the leg. However, as I don't currently own a pair of DMs it would probably be pointless looking for a pair of greens.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/73449?feat=505933-GN3

Are these similar to what you all wore/are looking for currently?

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Great photo of the Hare Krishnas, where did you find that Roy? And as for the impressive detective work, bloody hell :)
Just a silly thing, but the local Skinheads in this neck of the woods wore three piece suits, I don't know how 'usual' this was though and with them 'St Georges' (as MoM called them) arm garters to keep the sleeves just the right length. On the waistcoats they used to wear a fob watch, I've never heard of this before? Teds used to do it too didn't they? I keep getting images of Bill Sikes or Wyatt Earp :happy:

Had one 3 Piece Suit.Never wore armbands with it though- nor a Fob Watch.Just another example of Variations.

When I saw the Picture of the Mod waiting outside the "Twisted Wheel"(with the Patch on his Knee),it reminded me of something we did.I do not know how common this was:-
When the Pockets of the Levis became frayed or the Jeans split under the Crutch,we would stitch a Leather edging onto the Pockets.Under the Leg we would stitch the Patch under the Denim-so only hole covering would show.This was about `67/`68.

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry the Patch was sewn on top of the hole(when you get older,your mind slips).:D

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was searching for photos of the Chelsea Drugstore, and the Hari Krishnas came up, that why i thought is may have been Kings Rd, but Rudeboy sussed it out ..that its not, Typical Old Bill to scrutinise everything, :D

Never saw a 60s Skinhead wearing a three piece suit, but i,am sure someone would have done, and why not ??

Brideshead

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

I was searching for photos of the Chelsea Drugstore, and the Hari Krishnas came up, that why i thought is may have been Kings Rd, but Rudeboy sussed it out ..that its not, Typical Old Bill to scrutinise everything, :D
Never saw a 60s Skinhead wearing a three piece suit, but i,am sure someone would have done, and why not ??

Did you find any of the Drugstore?

I have a couple:

ChelseaDrugstore.jpg

imageChelseadrugstoreint.jpg

Three piece suits - yes they became popular at Ilford Palais around 1968 I recall. I had a beige one but always thought the jacket a bit too long. My own fault as I had specified a longer jacket but I never really liked it.

I wore those armbands up to about 1988 (not consistently as they seemed to come and go) and still have two pairs in my jewellery box. Now my shirts have the right length of sleeve they are redundant. I think one or two of the flasher dressers did have a pocket watch.

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Great pics John, yes i posted two a couple of pages back,:) Like the pic of the inside of the Drugstore,

Do you remember the Birds Nest chain of Pub Disco's John, The one in Kings road Chelsea was popular with us, Also others West Kensington in North End Road, And the one in West Hampstead.

Brideshead

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Great pics John, yes i posted two a couple of pages back,:) Like the pic of the inside of the Drugstore,
Do you remember the Birds Nest chain of Pub Disco's John, The one in Kings road Chelsea was popular with us, Also others West Kensington in North End Road, And the one in West Hampstead.

Sorry, Roy I have just seen your earlier pics. I didn't know it was now a Mc Donalds.

Although I remember the Birds Nest name I'm not sure if I went to them. What was the name of the one on the King's Road?

I didn't really start hanging round King's Road until after my skinhead days by which time we were into that sort of 'French Cut' as Alex Roest calls it. Shetland wool roll neck and slightly flared gaberdine trousers from Jones or Quincy.

Pub Discos I frequented in 1968/9 were the Merry Fiddlers at Becontree Heath near Romford, Coopers Arms at Hornchurch (shaped inside like a beer barrel) and one in Walthamstow I cannot remember the name of. I lived in Chelmsford so tended then to stick to the East side of London

London Rudeboy

Reaction score
The Birds Nest on the Kings Road was called just The Birds Nest and directly opposite Dovehouse Green and its tombs, (it was right next door to Pucci's Pizza) in the 80s it changed to one of those ubiquitous food-pub chains.

In the 80s and 90s Pucci's was a known place for the Chelsea Ruperts and Fionas to buy their Colombian marching powder, we nicked Pucci several times for doing the dealing himself.
George Best lived round the corner from said pub in Oakley Street & got mugged one evening when he came out of Pucci's. He was blathered and could hardly stand. All he could say when I got there was "They took my Rolex". He was wearing a shell suit and trainers. Myself and my colleague walked him the 100 metres home, after he'd refused the ambulance that had arrived.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics