Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Choco G

Choco G Well-Known Member

I phoned a mate last night who was an original Skinhead in '68 aged 17. He said the pub on Wardour Street was called the Intrepid Fox. Another mate and an original thought it was The Ship! I guess we all have memory problems as we get older.

2. buttons

buttons Senior member

Don't tell me you were chatting to an original '68 skinhead and all you talked about was queer pubs?!!

3. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

That thought ran through my mind too!

4. Choco G

Choco G Well-Known Member

Ha! of course we didn't just talk about queer pubs.....we also discussed the finer points of knitting and the music of Bronski Beat.

5. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Fell off a Trailer,whilst helping with a Charity Do! Not that romantic I am afraid.:)

6. Man-of-Mystery

Oh you say that now...

:D

7. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Not 100% sure, But when they closed the Marquee, on Wardour St, It became Crackers.

8. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Army combats with the cargo pockets look awful, but Cahartt do some nice light rip stop civvy versions, Regarding jungle greens i got a couple of pairs bought online from the States, Yes you need to wear boots with them, but they don't have to be Dr Martins, as we know Paul originals wore all sorts of boots, in fact i,am looking for a nice pair Army commando sole boots at the mo, Nice black pair will do, :)

9. Man-of-Mystery

Do you mean these, Roy?

You're right about the boots - I've been looking for a pair for ages that wouldn't look like canal barges. :)

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012

10. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

I know this photo has been on here before, But for interest sake, I have found out from my mate Colin ..this group of teenagers are standing outside the Red Lion Pub Borehamwood 1969, Now a Mc Donalds. Colin's Brother Brian Marshall is in the pic ...he is the fair lad two behind the dark haired Girl.

Borehamwood is just outside NW London... had a massive Skinhead crew in the 60s, they would often come to blows with the Burnt Oak Mob,

[​IMG]

11. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

No Paul on the same website look at the cargo pant, although they have thigh pockets they fit well and are a nice lightweight cotton. ok for summer.
    Have a look at the website Vintage trends for American jungle greens.

12. London Rudeboy

London Rudeboy Senior member

Have none of you ever tried Silvermans in Mile End for OGs and the like? squaddies, coppers, and wannabees all used to go there to buy genuine kit, sometimes new, sometimes secondhand, sometimes to replace lost kit, rather than report it lost, sometimes foreign stuff that wasn't issued e.g. better handcuffs, better boots, better jumpers and so on. I was there a few times to get stuff. Back in the 80s though it was just a counter at a warehouse door, you couldn't wander around a shop, you had to know what you wanted in advance. http://www.silvermans.co.uk/

They sell all sorts of British forces trousers from days gone by up to now, proper desert boots, also the old US jump boots, alpha flight jackets. Well worth a look.

13. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Yep I use Silvermans for the odd bit of kit, only place i can till get the old dessie boots, He made a load of money in the 80s, when serving Soldiers would have to buy from him if they wanted the latest Army kit,
    These days the Lads get the kit issued... so Silvermans now mostly deals with Civvies and Walter's, :)

14. London Rudeboy

London Rudeboy Senior member

Even back in the 80s, when we'd go there to buy big heavy torches, lightweight boots and the lightweight US S & W handcuffs to replace the crappy Met issue ones, it was mostly Walts kitting themselves out as Hereford Troopers!
    I'm pleased to see you can still buy most of the bits of the 58 webbing. They don't do the main backpack from the 58 though.

15. el norte

el norte Active Member

Having problems with this forum - making posts then they don't seem to appear. Says I've made 6 posts so far but can only see 3 of them? Apologies if I've been repeating myself with double posts [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012