Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. London Rudeboy

London Rudeboy Senior member

I still laugh out loud when I hear East Enders cheering on their team, West Ham, with the chant "Come on you Irons"
    As I'm sure you know in cockney rhyming slang: Iron (h)'oof = poof. Perhaps why "Come on you 'ammers" is a more popular chant [​IMG]

Rather ironic that the cockney team numero uno has a chant like that!

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012

2. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Each year their is a Skinhead Doo in Birmingham called Scorcher it attracts smart skinheads from all over Europe, But also at the same time and once across the street is a Gay skinhead doo, Funny as fcuk. :D

When you think back in the 60s Skinheads went Queer bashing, And now you have gay skinheads.. is that ironic or what ,:D

3. stilts121

stilts121 Active Member

Interesting. Makes sense.

As a huge fan of Iron Maiden, the "UP THE IRONS!" exclamation takes on a whole new meaning.

4. el norte

el norte Active Member

Cheers for that, will look out for it. I read King's 'Hoolifan' book a few years ago which was a good read from what I can remember.[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012

5. el norte

el norte Active Member

That definitely makes sense. The older lads apparently wore Wrangler mainly around 69-71 in Cumbria/N. Lancs?

Don't know if anyone has seen these but here's a couple of short news clips from 1970 which may be of interest:

http://www.itnsource.com/shotlist//ITN/1970/05/25/FS250570092/?s=skinhead&st=0&pn=3&sortBy=date

http://www.itnsource.com/shotlist//ITN/1970/05/03/FS030570059/?s=skinhead&st=0&pn=3&sortBy=date

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012

6. OHT

OHT Senior member

lol I don't take them serious, nor do I look at them as skinheads(I don't get how it would go hand in hand either way).
    This does bring a question in mind since I don't think its been asked(for the Originals): What would of been your reaction if there was Gay/Lesbian skinheads back in your day? I'm guessing you would of "welcome them OUT" of skinhead but thought it would be interesting to hear your responses.

7. Ikouja

Ikouja Well-Known Member

I have a question about "Jungle Geens" I found a pair online in my usual size in Denim, but not sure how they fit. Did Jungle Greens fit baggy or around true to size? I know it may be awhile back to remember :D

8. soundsnpressure

soundsnpressure Senior member

Thank god this years 'Scorcher' moved to a different venue, i.e. the Irish centre.

Is that why it moved? Maybe?

That 'boots n braces' event that was held very close to 'scorchers' old Clobs club venue, was a piss take.
    Gives Birmingham a bad name to outsiders.
    I have nothing against that community, but they dress up just for the sake of it. In a sort of comedy 'Russ Abbot' style.
    I think some of them gentlemen even have hankerchiefs tied on their heads like Mr Grumble off 'Monty Python'.
    And I shudder to think what tunes they play in there.

Avoid [​IMG]

9. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Iam wearing a pair of American issue, Jungle Greens, OG 107 60s Issue, The same as i wore in 68, back then you could get them in any Army Surplus shops in London, now hard to get hold of, in the UK.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. soundsnpressure

soundsnpressure Senior member

I've never really liked Jungle Greens, but that pair look sound.
    I hate the new 'modern' European shiny green equivalents. Stiff as a board too, with crap pockets.

Nice Mikkel Rude shirt to the right too.(Deano [​IMG] )

11. sivanpunk

sivanpunk Member

Roy, what kind of jeans and boots is the fella on the right wearing? (Your left)

12. Ikouja

Ikouja Well-Known Member

Nice Lasttye! Those are the same type I've found online, for only 12USD, they look nice in my opinion.

13. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

Well, I knew one girl who was fairly openly gay and one bloke who 'came out' about a decade later, but apart from that it was unheard of.

While I was running Yell a bloke from Gay Times approached me to say that he knew a fair number of blokes who were 'in the closet', which I guess is something you didn't talk about in those days.

Roy,have often wished I could pick up a pair of greens. There are plenty of combat strides around, but none without pockets on the leg. However, as I don't currently own a pair of DMs it would probably be pointless looking for a pair of greens.

14. London Rudeboy

London Rudeboy Senior member

I regret handing in my OGs when I left the RAF Regt in 82. As regards size, they fit like normal trousers actually, often a bit on the snug side though. DPM camo on the other hand was a much heavier material and needed to be much looser for its purpose, out in the field. You see, OGs were our daily uniform. But on exercise you wore DPM. Here's a few likely lads in 1981 on 58 Sqn, that's how we wore OGs:[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012

15. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

The problem with British OGs and Lightweights they have the thigh pocket, The American issue OG Sateen had no thigh pocket and was a more walking out trouser. which suited us in the 60s.